Should cost be the biggest decision in choosing a DPT program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trainxchoo

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've heard from PT's that applicants should attend the program that will be the cheapest for them. Where you graduated from really won't matter when you're applying for jobs as long as you are licensed and passed the boards. That being said, what is your take on choosing programs based on cost alone? Are there any other factors that are just as important?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would also like to have someone's take on this, as I'm in a similar boat :)

I would say cost should be your most important factor, but not the ONLY one. For example, I was accepted at one school which was 88,000 and another that was 96,000. Although school 1 was slightly cheaper, it had a less desirable location, less research opportunities, and the other school offered some things I was interested in such as inter professional collaboration with other health care professionals and options to pursue experiences in administration, research, education, or heath care policy. Also, try to see if the programs offer graduate assistantships which can also help cut down on cost of attendance.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the post above. Money is an important factor but you have to weigh the pros and cons of each program. It would be beneficial to pick a program that has resources that help you in the long run. For example specialities and advanced tracks, paid internships, or specific clinical affiliations that you’d be interested in.

I was accepted, but am passing on what was my top choice for years.
Because of the way covid has changed their curriculum, I am looking to a program that I felt is better handling the pandemic.
I have a new front runner, but am waiting on a couple in-state schools that would be a little more $ but to me, worth it, to stay in my state.

But honestly, I think $ is a huge factor, as we won’t really be making “dr” money once we’re out there working.