Cumulative GPA vs Science GPA Medical School Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What is more important for medical schools to look at science or cumulative GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Your AO GPA is most important because anybody can regurgitate anatomy, but can they get an A in ceramics? I don't think so.

Reactions: 2 users
One would assume science...but that isn't to say cumulative is ignored. Just aim to get above 3.5s and 3.7c.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like what do admission committees look at when trying admit a student??? Is science GPA weighted more than cumulative?

Both are important. Whether or not one is slightly more important than another cannot be quantified accurately.

This will vary from ADCOM to ADCOM. Best to assume they are both important. If I had to guess if there is a choice between the two there are more people more likely to weigh the sGPA higher than there are those who will weigh the cGPA higher. Like I said, just a guess though.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 1 user
This table is a little newer and shows a few more things ranked. In order starting with most important, the big 6 academic metrics are

1) sGPA
2) MCAT - note that this is a departure from the earlier survey where it was sGPA, then cGPA, then MCAT
3) Upward/downward trends
4) cGPA
5) Post-bacc grades
6) Selectivity of alma mater (only for private MD schools)

All of them fall under "highest importance" though

Reactions: 1 user
This table is a little newer and shows a few more things ranked. In order starting with most important, the big 6 academic metrics are

1) sGPA
2) MCAT - note that this is a departure from the earlier survey where it was sGPA, then cGPA, then MCAT
4) cGPA
5) Post-bacc grades

Question. Does this mean when applying to private schools, undergrad institution actually does matter?

Members don't see this ad :)

1) sGPA
4) cGPA
5) Post-bacc grades

Are those in order from most to least important or are they all simply rated as highest importance with no way to distinguish amongst the 6 factors?

No, they are not in order just grouped by a weighted value
End of Footnote 1 says variables are ordered by mean importance ratings...

"Importance was rated on a four-point scale ranging from 1 to 4 (“Not Important,” “Somewhat Important,” “Important,” and “Very Important,” respectively). .... We chose to classify variables using overall mean importance ratings because their mean importance ratings were similar for the interview and the acceptance phases. Variables are ordered by overall mean importance rating."

So it seems the variables are organized from highest mean importance to lowest mean importance and subdivided into three categories.

You would expect the priority list to be ranked using numbers and not bullets
I think it's natural/assumed that it would be in descending order here but I guess they could make it even more explicit