CUNY - Asha Cert Candidacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SufjanS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input on this program? I am little hesitant to consider it because its still in candidacy. Anyone know someone or heard anything about the program or professors? I'd love to go there simply based on location but if the program is mediocre then I might as well save my money and stay in-state.

Members don't see this ad.

its a good program, its under candidacy probably because ASHA has to certify the programs after certain amount of year. i had the co-director of the program as my intro audiology in undergrad and because of her i am now getting an Sc.D in audiology instead of a masters in speech. my current clinic preceptor worked there as well, and she speaks highly of the program. the only draw back i see is that you have 3 different schools that you would have clinic and classes in.

Thanks for the response!

I am really hoping to get in there despite the high cost of living in the area. The diverse population I'd be working with would really be an advantage to me as I come from a fairly "white", rich/upper-middle city lol. Plus NYC is the best city on earth =P

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh.. :thumbdown:

In all seriousness, best of luck!

Hater :slap:lol

For someone coming form out of state CUNY gets pricey. Plus the cost of living is pretty ridiculous. You are probably looking at around $1100 for a 1bedroom in a somewhat decent neighborhood. The MTA (*****s that run the transportation system) keep raising the fare, so that can also come out to more than $100. Basically you can expect to be in the range of around 200k worth of loans when coming out. Just a lil heads up.

Many of the professors at Gallaudet come from CUNY. Based on that I would say it must be a good program.

I agree with the comments on cost. If you're out of state the cost of tuition on top of living expenses just doesn't make sense. If you're instate then it seems like a good trade-off, low tuition but high cost of living. I think you can find an apartment for less than $1100 if you're willing to have roommates and live in brooklyn, where one of their campuses is located anyway. Also the cost of living can be high in a lot of places (like here in DC) that don't have the same chutzpah as ny!!!