Curious about "previously matriculated" question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennie99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader of SDN, thanks to all that make it such an awesome resource.

I was filling out the AACOMAS application, and ran accross the 'have you ever matriculated at a medical school before?' question. So I began to ponder how a medical school can find out the answer to this question? For example, in the case of the felony question, many schools do a background check and such. But how can they find out if an applicant matriculated at another medical school? Education records are private, and I go through hell just to send out official transcripts! lol Curious if the wise among us can shed some light...

Members don't see this ad.

I was filling out the AACOMAS application, and ran accross the 'have you ever matriculated at a medical school before?' question. So I began to ponder how a medical school can find out the answer to this question? For example, in the case of the felony question, many schools do a background check and such. But how can they find out if an applicant matriculated at another medical school? Education records are private, and I go through hell just to send out official transcripts! lol Curious if the wise among us can shed some light...

Well, I guess they really can't. If you did matriculate and actually took classes, then you are supposed to provide those transcripts as well. I don't think a school needs to see education records just to find out if you matriculated somewhere but they aren't going to call 150 med schools either.

It is probably on there because they are hoping you will be honest, and it also may work to the benefit of some people who were in med school but couldn't complete due to a situation or something,

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you may only be asking out of curiousity, but if someone lied about this and it was discovered they could be kicked out of school/residency. I'm just saying this as an FYI, not accusing the OP or anyone.

There is also a National Student Clearinghouse. I'm not sure which schools participate and I don't know what criteria gets you listed, but it does exist.

Edit: The clearinghouse can be used for degree verification or enrollment verification.

It's not worth the risk; answer the questions honestly. If the information exists, there's a way to obtain it. If not now, then when you apply for your medical license.

Like I said, I'm just asking out of curiosity. I would never suggest or condone that anyone should be anything but completely honest, especially a future physician!

That's an interesting point though scpod! Are you sure federal loan records are public? I can't even tell which institution my undergrad loan was taken out for when I check the details on my loans online (and I'm the account holder!). All I can see is the loan type, date, rate, etc., not the institution.

That's pretty cool about the National Student Clearinghouse too. I would have expected the department of education to set something like that up, not a non-profit. SDNers are so well-informed! Rock on.:thumbup:

The key word: Honesty. Never lie to them. Yes, they can find out. Medical world is small and everyone know each other. Sooner or later, when they find out, you can be kicked out school or even be revoked your medical license if you are already a doctor. I don't see anything wrong with being matriculated at another medical school before unless you had bad things with it. Anyway, DO NOT LIE.:D

....Are you sure federal loan records are public? I can't even tell which institution my undergrad loan was taken out for when I check the details on my loans online (and I'm the account holder!). All I can see is the loan type, date, rate, etc., not the institution....

What you have access to on the Internet is something separate. Anyone, though, can gain access through the FOIA. Your federally backed loans are taken very seriously. There are some little-known things about those loans that most people should consider.

They cannot be discharged in a bankruptcy. You can have your medical license suspended, revoked, or have other discipline taken for failure to repay them. Th U.S. Attorney's offcice can and will file a civil lawsuit where you have to pay court costs, attorney's fees, etc. If you default you cannot collect from Medicare, Medicaid or any other government sponsored system like CHAMPUS or TRICARE. You will be excluded from contracting with the federal government and you cannot be hired by anyone who has federal government contracts. Your name and the amount you owe will be published on a regular Internet list with other people who defaulted as well.

I can understand a school wanting to verify enrollment, etc... but why on earth would a school or residency program care enough to go trolling through federal loan records? Do they check debt loads before offering people spots in a school or a residency?

I can understand a school wanting to verify enrollment, etc... but why on earth would a school or residency program care enough to go trolling through federal loan records? Do they check debt loads before offering people spots in a school or a residency?

check your credit score? who knows, but they can do it... there are a lot of things schools do that make no sense to all of us. why bump a 3 month old thread?

Finaid will be the ones to see it when they are figuring out how much you can get. There is a cap on both undergrad and graduate aid. They get a report saying how much you've used. If something looks fishy, they would be the ones to report it to admissions, etc. In other words, you'd likely already be in at this point. I doubt they'd keep you given the info though.

Loans + Clearing House .... don't do shady things.

Finaid will be the ones to see it when they are figuring out how much you can get. There is a cap on both undergrad and graduate aid. They get a report saying how much you've used. If something looks fishy, they would be the ones to report it to admissions, etc. In other words, you'd likely already be in at this point. I doubt they'd keep you given the info though.

It says in the fine print all over applications that your acceptance is conditional and if you are dishonest and it comes out at ANY point, you can be dismissed at any point. This means that you could be half way through medical school and still let go. I don't know how often it happens, but that's what it means. Again, don't do shady things. Why bother??? What is worse, being honest, POTENTIALLY missing some opportunities because of the past, but getting in and having nothing to worry about, or to lie, squeak by and live in constant fear for 4 years???? Honesty is always the best policy.

If you lied the school could check the national student clearinghouse to see what schools you went to in the past, they could catch you this way. Never lie on a medical school application.

I believe even if you were able to apply, get accepted, pass all your classes AND graduate, when the time comes for licensure, you'd be stuck. All medical students are given an AAMC ID when they register for the MCAT. This number will follow you forever. The aamc keeps a database of all past/current medical student in the nation.

In addition when you go to apply for medical licensure, you will be involving the AMA most likely in some capacity. All students who sign up for the AMA are given an AMA physician number. This again is part of a large database kept by the AMA of all physicians, past present, practicing, even deceased (to make sure no one tries to hijack their license).

So, to recap, even if you could get into school and graduate, it would be extremely dicey to get your license without the past coming up. then where would you be?