Matriculant - Drug Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allenyoung96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if I have to take a drug test and I have medication for attention issues, will this be something that I could get in trouble for or risk rescinding my acceptance?

I don’t take it often and have had a prescription since I was a child through adulthood but I’m kinda worried all the same.

Members don't see this ad.

if you have an Rx yoou should be fine. I can imagine a lawyer would have a field day if they rescinded your acceptance over it.

if you have an Rx yoou should be fine. I can imagine a lawyer would have a field day if they rescinded your acceptance over it.
That’s exactly what I thought. ADHD medication is such a controversial topic particularly in academia so I felt the need to corroborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fiiiiiiiine

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think they can legally do anything as long you're following the instructions of the prescribing physician.

I don't think they can legally do anything as long you're following the instructions of the prescribing physician.
That's true but maybe the MRO can just mark me positive without talking to me first? Or doesn't accept my prescription? Idk.

That's true but maybe the MRO can just mark me positive without talking to me first? Or doesn't accept my prescription? Idk.
I can't speak for every lab everywhere (obviously), but I've taken a lot of pre-employment and random drug tests. Every one I've ever been to had a policy where, if you tested positive for anything, they would notify you and give you a period of time to produce any copies of prescriptions.

Again, as long as you're taking prescribed medications and following the instructions (e.g., not taking triple doses), you will be fine.

I can't speak for every lab everywhere (obviously), but I've taken a lot of pre-employment and random drug tests. Every one I've ever been to had a policy where, if you tested positive for anything, they would notify you and give you a period of time to produce any copies of prescriptions.

Again, as long as you're taking prescribed medications and following the instructions (e.g., not taking triple doses), you will be fine.

This is similar to the policy at my school, and I had the same question when I first matriculated. Basically, if you test positive for something, a physician from the testing company will contact you and ask for copies of your prescriptions. Once you provide them, they report a finding of "passed" for your drug screen to the school. Also, fwiw, even though I have a prescription for several of the meds they test for and took those meds within 12 hrs of taking my drug test, I've still never tested positive. So, I don't put a lot of faith in negative drug tests, lol.

This is similar to the policy at my school, and I had the same question when I first matriculated. Basically, if you test positive for something, a physician from the testing company will contact you and ask for copies of your prescriptions. Once you provide them, they report a finding of "passed" for your drug screen to the school. Also, fwiw, even though I have a prescription for several of the meds they test for and took those meds within 12 hrs of taking my drug test, I've still never tested positive. So, I don't put a lot of faith in negative drug tests, lol.
Yeah, I do remember going into one of these tests a little nervous several years ago because I was taking a prescribed controlled medication. I brought a copy of my prescription and I asked the lab tech if she wanted it. She said no, and to hold onto it until the reviewing physician called me. I never got a call, and I got the job that was requiring the test.