Waitlist after matriculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d3premed

Reaction score
Hi there! I had a question about waitlists after I matriculate. I currently have been accepted to an expensive DO school that starts in 2 weeks. I am still on the waitlist for three in-state MD schools (much cheaper tuition) that do not start till July/August. If I am accepted into either of these schools while still at my DO school, am I allowed to drop out and switch? I don't understand how this works because then technically my DO school would have lost a seat to someone that could have taken it before, which is morally wrong. I also don't understand how this works because by August, I would have finished my summer semester at my DO school and received grades for the courses. Any advice/insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you sign some sort of a contract that financially handcuffed you to the DO school for 4 years? if not, I think you could drop out at any time. You will loose the tuition you already paid. The for profit DO school is a business first and foremost, and may have legal things in-place to prevent you from doing this? I dont know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you sign some sort of a contract that financially handcuffed you to the DO school for 4 years? if not, I think you should be able to drop out at any time. You will loose the tuition you already paid. Why do DO schools start so early?
No I didn’t! I’ve only paid 8k so far for the summer tuition (“only” used relatively). So I’ll probably lose all of that. And yep, beats me....wish it was different. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I had a question about waitlists after I matriculate. I currently have been accepted to an expensive DO school that starts in 2 weeks. I am still on the waitlist for three in-state MD schools (much cheaper tuition) that do not start till July/August. If I am accepted into either of these schools while still at my DO school, am I allowed to drop out and switch? I don't understand how this works because then technically my DO school would have lost a seat to someone that could have taken it before, which is morally wrong. I also don't understand how this works because by August, I would have finished my summer semester at my DO school and received grades for the courses. Any advice/insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
Yes, you switch schools. My own schools loses people in the first 2-3 weeks to our state MD school all the time.

You might lose some of your tuition, though, based upon when/if you leave.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, you switch schools. My own schools loses people in the first 2-3 weeks to our state MD school all the time.

You might lose some of your tuition, though, based upon when/if you leave.
Thanks! I just felt ungrateful thinking about the idea of dropping out, and more guilty that my spot couldn’t have gone to someone else who may not have gotten into any schools this cycle.

Thanks! I just felt ungrateful thinking about the idea of dropping out, and more guilty that my spot couldn’t have gone to someone else who may not have gotten into any schools this cycle.
Think of it as your way of fighting back against DO school expansion. Too many med students anyway. Do what's best for you.

Reactions: 3 users
If its early enough in orientation, they might be able to pull people off the waitlist. This happened to 1-2 people at my school that basically started a few days late after a couple other people got off of other waitlists.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in a similar situation waiting for OU HCOM but accepted to LMU DCOM. Would love the cheaper tuition, remain in state, and accreditation is better at HCOM. Lmu starts earlier but I figure I will hold out hope til the end of HCOMs cycle