Curious, How much do psychiatrists generally make...??? NYC, East coast..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do Psychiatrists usually make..? In the East, NYC, and even the West.

Just wondering!

Members don't see this ad.

Colleagues in the Midwest reported 150k-750k dependent upon practice setup.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. Come on, I've never heard of a psychiatrist topping 500k.
i am sure there are lots of things you've never heard of, but that is due to ignorance. i know lots of psychiatrists who top 500k. you can make a million. it's just the exception. i would say most people will fall in the 200-270k range but depending on whether you are a serf or a landowner, do administrative work, are senior faculty, do forensic work/consulting etc, are a drug company shill, do questionable practices, you can make considerably more...

Reactions: 7 users
How much do Psychiatrists usually make..? In the East, NYC, and even the West.

Just wondering!

How much are you willing to hustle? That is a big determinant. I want to make at least 230k to start and then when I get more comfortable, work my way up to 275-280k after a few years in the business (especially when I am trying to get my baby boy through college). I am willing to see patients on Saturday mornings half of the year. A lot of people would not want to ruin their Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How much are you willing to hustle? That is a big determinant. I want to make at least 230k to start and then when I get more comfortable, work my way up to 275-280k after a few years in the business (especially when I am trying to get my baby boy through college). I am willing to see patients on Saturday mornings half of the year. A lot of people would not want to ruin their Saturday morning.
Relatively speaking to all the ways you can bump your income, Saturday clinic would likely be one of the lowest yields (not saying it's poor paying, just that you can get more bang for the buck doing something that doesn't take up a Saturday morning [even just seeing 1-2 more patients per day during the work week]).

Reactions: 3 users
Relatively speaking to all the ways you can bump your income, Saturday clinic would likely be one of the lowest yields (not saying it's poor paying, just that you can get more bang for the buck doing something that doesn't take up a Saturday morning [even just seeing 1-2 more patients per day during the work week]).

You are older and wiser than I am and probably right. I was just citing one of the many ways to make more money.

Any suggestions on what would be "highest yielding" ways for psychiatrists?

Come to NYC. Lots of private practice psychiatrists cracking 500k.

Remember, over 70% of Psychiatrists work less than 40 hours/week, so thats why all the salary surveys you see are skewed and jaded (mean is roughly 200k on those surveys), not representative if a Psychiatrist worked 'real' hours (50-60) like a surgeon or cardiologist.

And remember, malpractice in Psych is one of the lowest, roughly 7-10K/year in the NYC area. Compare that to Surgeons (50-70k/year) and OBGYN (>120k/year).

If you are interested in NYC, you need to consider what folks in private practice in and around NYC do. Just a patient, so I obviously don't know every detail, but in NYC and the surrounding area it would not be unusual for a psychiatrist in private practice seeing patients for therapy + medication to charge $300 or $350, cash only, per 45-minute session. If you assume a midpoint of $325/session, and 10 such sessions per week, 48 weeks per year (allowing for vacations, etc.), that comes to $156,000:

10 x 325 = 3,250
3,250 x 48 = $156,000

Only 10 sessions per week is pretty low -- if each session is 45 minutes, that only amounts to 7.5 hours seeing patients (45 x 10/60 = 7.5). If you assume something more plausible, like 20 sessions per week, that comes to $312,000 ($156,000 x 2). This is just an approximation -- they might charge more or less, or see more or fewer patients, but you get the idea. Also, most such folks have relatively low overhead -- think small offices, maybe one small room, sometimes but not necessarily in a small suite shared with a couple of others (typically others doing therapy too, could be psychiatrists, psychologists and/or social workers), typically with no staff in the office. Also, some might have some other source of income as well, like a job at one of the many hospitals in NY.

My psych attending made around 600k (he said he makes over 3x most IM physicians in the area when a student asked him about psych salaries). He had a private practice with 3 other docs, had a couple NPs working under him, and is also the medical director of a private psych hospital (which has a contract with a public hospital nearby). One of my friends also has a family friend that makes "a lot" (friend thought it was around 400k) in a cash only private practice. As splik said, there are ways to make big bank as a psychiatrist, as there are in any field, it just depends on what you actually do.

Wow lots of responses! So 200 starting is unusual...?
I plan to live in nYC (My home town), but i mean I would prefer at least like 200k... is that too much to ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow lots of responses! So 200 starting is unusual...?
I plan to live in nYC (My home town), but i mean I would prefer at least like 200k... is that too much to ask?

Depends. Academia pays around 160 to 180k in NYC.

Join a group practice and u can hit 200k.

If you are happy to get out of the city into the outer boroughs you can prolly hit 220k.

What a lot of psych do is 40 hr weeks in hospital, take home their 200k. Then private practice a couple evenings a right and maybe every other Saturday morning at the going rate of 300/hr.

This will get you to 350 to 400k.

Reactions: 1 user
the doc im partnered up with made over 700k last year for about 35 hours a week of work. most poor residents/attendings and haters on here will predictably call BS on this as they did with my previous posts.

As a poor resident, I call bs on this story if the 35 hours is all clinical work. The guy is lying to you and you shouldn't believe every tall story that some guy tells you.

that's quite a bold and ignorant statement to make given that you are a resident. given that a) i'm partnered with him in his practice, and b) I am also making the same amount as he is on a per hour basis, there are no "tall stories" to be found here. we both do inpatient/outpatient work, all clinical, and get paid for taking call as well.

Booya!

that's quite a bold and ignorant statement to make given that you are a resident. given that a) i'm partnered with him in his practice, and b) I am also making the same amount as he is on a per hour basis, there are no "tall stories" to be found here. we both do inpatient/outpatient work, all clinical, and get paid for taking call as well.

So, now you are claiming that you make close to a mil year working 40 hours a week including call....as a psychiatrist. Next you are going to tell me that the tooth fairy is real and Santa Claus lives in the north pole.

Yes, there are psychiatrist out there that may make that amount but I can guarantee you that they are not working 40 hours a week (definitely more) and most likely hustling with a few other businesses on the side. I wasn't making an ignorant statement. I just wasn't going to drink your cool-aide and buy that bridge that you are trying to sell to me and others on this board in Alaska.

Kool-aid with a K, son. Don't knock the hustle.

kool1.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I make about 500k in Chicago, but I'm
On call for my inpatients and outpatients 24/7, work 12 hour days and spend about 2 hours at home documenting and billing. It can be done with less time commitment, but that usually means crappy care for the patient.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
Aside from addressing massive student loans, I really cannot fathom "hustling" to earn in excess of 500k a year as a psychiatrist. I mean, I guess it's good that more patients can see a psychiatrist, but after delaying all kinds of gratification throughout my 20's, I'm in no mood to see extra patients at 4pm, provide peer reviews, supervise NP's, write, or whatever else is available just to make the IRS rich - ESPECIALLY if I'm getting no extra benefits or tax breaks. But if that's your style, best of luck. I'd honestly rather make another $30 donating plasma while reading Harry Potter.

Any suggestions on what would be "highest yielding" ways for psychiatrists?
I don't think there's an official "highest yield" activity as that may vary by location but seeing clinic patients isn't it. It's the most prominent way we make money because that's the bread and butter 8-5 on M-F. I'd even see 1 more patient per day and then not have to do Saturday. If you covered an inpatient unit every 6ish weekends you'd probably make a decent amount more than working every Saturday morning in clinic. Providing phone coverage to facilities overnights. Telepsych for ER consults. Nursing homes. Jails. Residential facilities. Etc. Most of these should pay a higher premium on your time than clinic, unless a facility was offering more to see people on weekends or if the facility you work with offers a pretty good rate for clinic at baseline, in which case I'd revert to my original plan of seeing an additional 1-2 patients during the weekday.

Um. Yes you can absolutely make over a million a year working 40 clinical hours a week including call, as a psychiatrist. Do five minutes of homework on how much BCBS PPO and other private insurance plans reimburse psychiatrists, multiply that out by at least 2-3 patients per hour, add in extras you get for doing call/etc, and you will hit over a million, depending on what region you are in, how you code your visits, whether you charge for no show's, how much overhead you have, etc. At the rate I am going, I anticipate making well over a million a year by the time im 40 (though I'll be hiring a few NP's and PA's who are interested in working with me, by that point).

I don't understand how this is so hard to figure out. Even as an first year med student I realized the potential psychiatry had to make serious money, by seeking out reimbursement rates of private insurances from other psychiatrists, inquiring what typical overhead amounts were, and doing the math. You have an attending telling you it can be done, yet you immediately reject that and give a snarky response, instead of actually thinking about how it could be possible or kindly inquiring further. Amazing.
Boy I'm enjoying this debate! *grabs the popcorn :)

Come to NYC. Lots of private practice psychiatrists cracking 500k.

Remember, over 70% of Psychiatrists work less than 40 hours/week, so thats why all the salary surveys you see are skewed and jaded (mean is roughly 200k on those surveys), not representative if a Psychiatrist worked 'real' hours (50-60) like a surgeon or cardiologist.

And remember, malpractice in Psych is one of the lowest, roughly 7-10K/year in the NYC area. Compare that to Surgeons (50-70k/year) and OBGYN (>120k/year).

I totally agree. I also think that Psych has a reputation of earning less because:
1. It's easier to actually work part time in psych than in other specialties (I don't think there are very many part time surgeons, because my understanding is that your skills can deteriorate if you're not operating all the time)
2. The type of people who tend to go into Psych are often not as "Type A" as in other specialties, so less likely to care about maximizing money. I personally feel like even though I COULD work harder and probably make more than I do now (I am in a full time w/ call corporate med job where I make about 285K), more money wouldn't improve my quality of life enough to be worth the sacrifices of things like time for my family and hobbies. I am seriously considered cutting back to part time in a couple of years so I can have more time with my kid.
However, once you do start earning a good amount of money, you do start to get "used" to it and it is hard to cut back. :p

My goal is to maximize billing, keeping wait lists down and attempting to find out how to generate alternative income than slogging through the assembly line. For example, FP/IM clinic has their own lab and xray machine which can gain additional income streams.

I totally agree. I also think that Psych has a reputation of earning less because:
1. It's easier to actually work part time in psych than in other specialties (I don't think there are very many part time surgeons, because my understanding is that your skills can deteriorate if you're not operating all the time)
2. The type of people who tend to go into Psych are often not as "Type A" as in other specialties, so less likely to care about maximizing money. I personally feel like even though I COULD work harder and probably make more than I do now (I am in a full time w/ call corporate med job where I make about 285K), more money wouldn't improve my quality of life enough to be worth the sacrifices of things like time for my family and hobbies. I am seriously considered cutting back to part time in a couple of years so I can have more time with my kid.
However, once you do start earning a good amount of money, you do start to get "used" to it and it is hard to cut back. :p

Exactly.

But on the flip side, if you are Type A and in psychiatry, you can very easily "flourish", unlike being Type A in General Surgery where everyone is slogging away and you are not really going to stand out because you show up to work at 7am (whereas in Psychiatry if you show up to work before 9am you are considered to be a 'hard-worker')

Exactly.

But on the flip side, if you are Type A and in psychiatry, you can very easily "flourish", unlike being Type A in General Surgery where everyone is slogging away and you are not really going to stand out because you show up to work at 7am (whereas in Psychiatry if you show up to work before 9am you are considered to be a 'hard-worker')
Pretty sure you would stand out coming in at 7 as a general surgeon.

Reactions: 4 users
Are there any personal accounts of psych salaries for those earning income from purely insurance reimbursements vs those on a cash-based with some insurance referral model?

My secondary question is what does the future of cash-based practice look like? Would we would ever be relegated to the rest of medicine and have to accept the measly psychiatry reimbursement rates?

Sent from my SM-G935F using SDN mobile

Hands down, the most consistent way to make $300-400k is through a locums position. Some of these positions can be tedious; some are great. Highest paying locums work is in the Midwest, but there are high paying positions in the NYC area. I have seen st least 4-5 positions posted this year for full time at $200-225/hr.

Hands down, the most consistent way to make $300-400k is through a locums position. Some of these positions can be tedious; some are great. Highest paying locums work is in the Midwest, but there are high paying positions in the NYC area. I have seen st least 4-5 positions posted this year for full time at $200-225/hr.

I'm not sure I'd say most consistent. You actively know they are trying to find salaried positions in most locums assignments that are paying you that (remember how much is going to the locum company on top of your pay) so the work can disappear and time you aren't work you get paid nothing. In contrast if you can find a salaried job to get you most of the way and then add on a 2nd 1099 or have a small PP you can have a very secure base to pull in the 3-4 range.

Um. Yes you can absolutely make over a million a year working 40 clinical hours a week including call, as a psychiatrist. Do five minutes of homework on how much BCBS PPO and other private insurance plans reimburse psychiatrists, multiply that out by at least 2-3 patients per hour, add in extras you get for doing call/etc, and you will hit over a million, depending on what region you are in, how you code your visits, whether you charge for no show's, how much overhead you have, etc. At the rate I am going, I anticipate making well over a million a year by the time im 40 (though I'll be hiring a few NP's and PA's who are interested in working with me, by that point).

I don't understand how this is so hard to figure out. Even as an first year med student I realized the potential psychiatry had to make serious money, by seeking out reimbursement rates of private insurances from other psychiatrists, inquiring what typical overhead amounts were, and doing the math. You have an attending telling you it can be done, yet you immediately reject that and give a snarky response, instead of actually thinking about how it could be possible or kindly inquiring further. Amazing.

Phorensic, are you looking to expand and add another partner? Let's say in the next 2 years or so?

Phorensic, are you looking to expand and add another partner? Let's say in the next 2 years or so?
Count me in! But give me 3 years since I will have to get myself into a psych residency...my math skills may be lacking but assuming 10 weeks off, working 40hrs/week making 1 million means you are billing and collecting around $600/hr (not including overhead)

My secondary question is what does the future of cash-based practice look like? Would we would ever be relegated to the rest of medicine and have to accept the measly psychiatry reimbursement rates? Sent from my SM-G935F using SDN mobile

Although there could be issues with supply vs demand and some local economy factors I don't ever foresee the boutique crowd not being willing to cough up significant cash for the superior care or perceived superior care of a cash only psychiatrist. I have worked in other venues with three in my area. Two are incredibly skilled diagnosticians and prescribers in my opinion, the third horrid but people seem to like him maybe its the fancy kiwi water and scones in the lobby?

Although there could be issues with supply vs demand and some local economy factors I don't ever foresee the boutique crowd not being willing to cough up significant cash for the superior care or perceived superior care of a cash only psychiatrist. I have worked in other venues with three in my area. Two are incredibly skilled diagnosticians and prescribers in my opinion, the third horrid but people seem to like him maybe its the fancy kiwi water and scones in the lobby?

Handful of Xanax, craft water and a scone makes ppl happy.

Fourth year med student I've had 3 different attendings tell me their earnings:

1. Hospital outpatient working 3 days per week - $290k (just from hospital, this does not include her private outpatient)
2. Private suboxone clinic 1 day per week and works 2 days per week outpatient adult/child. Also works 2 days per week in psych ER at local hospital - $650k
3. Mega volume outpatient private practice working 6 days per week - $950k

I know someone is going to hop in here and call bs or whatever. I'm rarely on here so you probably won't get a response and I don't really care if you don't believe me anyways. These are real numbers and doctor #2 even felt so inclined to show me his income statements. I do not ask for these numbers. For whatever reason a lot of the psychiatrists I come across feel the need to express this the second I tell them I'm going into this field.

1. Hospital outpatient working 3 days per week - $290k (just from hospital, this does not include her private outpatient)
2. Private suboxone clinic 1 day per week and works 2 days per week outpatient adult/child. Also works 2 days per week in psych ER at local hospital - $650k

I know someone is going to hop in here and call bs or whatever. I'm rarely on here so you probably won't get a response and I don't really care if you don't believe me anyways. These are real numbers and doctor #2 even felt so inclined to show me his income statements. I do not ask for these numbers. For whatever reason a lot of the psychiatrists I come across feel the need to express this the second I tell them I'm going into this field.
What region is this?! o_O

Anything is doable in psych, which is one of the many reasons why I love it. If your work hard, the money will come.

Anything is doable in psych, which is one of the many reasons why I love it. If your work hard, the money will come.

In terms of money, anything is possible in any field of medicine (in our current healthcare system***)...its just a matter of how realistic it is. I don't think anyone going into medicine right now should expect to make 1 million. Even for the highest paid specialties (ortho-spine?), I would venture to guess that maybe only top 15-20th% make that type of money...

***if HRC had won the election we would be one step closer to a single-payor system. Who knows how ACA repeal/repair/replace affects our reimbursements in the short-term and shapes future healthcare policy in the long-term

I find it somewhat annoying at times, that in this field there are people who seem almost irate when they hear about how much some Psychiatrists are able to earn in a relatively short work week. Often times people call BS, are perplexed and make assumptions about the level of care that is provided. I personally know several psychiatrists that earn 400k+ for 35-40hrs/week and provide good care. I also know other psychiatrists that work over 70-80 hrs/week and make $1 million+.

I think we need to aggressively pursue the highest possible reimbursement for the hard work that we do and for the services that we provide. Especially when considering the opportunity cost of obtaining this valued skill-set. I'm fascinated by how we frequently devalue ourselves financially.

This thread is absolutely insane! 1M+ in psychiatry...damn that's impressive. Hopefully you guys aren't doing some shady **** to get there. 5k a day? That's absolutely insane! I had no idea psych reimbursed that much for the stuff you do. Very interesting reading through this thread.

I find it somewhat annoying at times, that in this field there are people who seem almost irate when they hear about how much some Psychiatrists are able to earn in a relatively short work week. Often times people call BS, are perplexed and make assumptions about the level of care that is provided. I personally know several psychiatrists that earn 400k+ for 35-40hrs/week and provide good care. I also know other psychiatrists that work over 70-80 hrs/week and make $1 million+.

I think we need to aggressively pursue the highest possible reimbursement for the hard work that we do and for the services that we provide. Especially when considering the opportunity cost of obtaining this valued skill-set. I'm fascinated by how we frequently devalue ourselves financially.

Irate? How about healthy skepticism? If psych is such a lucrative field why is it relatively non-competitive to match in? 2016 AMGA survey had psych at 226K and ortho at 443K, so something is not adding up...would you believe me if I told you that I know several orthopods that work 70-80 hrs per week and make 2 million+? I hope you wouldn't bc I know none that make this amount but its analogous to what you're claiming

There is nothing wrong with wanting to make money (or doing so). The problem becomes when that becomes the primary aim and is done through patient care. Patient care and unfettered profits are incompatible (which is not to say that respectable income and high quality care are incompatible). I am really fascinated by physicians who go rogue. It is not possible to make a million in psychiatry ethically through patient care. Now if you have a successful private practice which hires multiple therapists, mid-levels and psychiatrists, and has something innovative about it; or you have successfully tapped into the tech "behavioral health" (sic) market, or have a successful psychiatric consulting/coaching/mediation/forensic practice hiring multiple associates; have managed to get successful book deals; run workshops/seminars; or have your own line of "integrative psychiatry"/nutriceutical etc products you can certainly do very well for yourself.

You can make the more by not doing therapy, not talking to patients, cutting appointment sessions down progressively shorter... That is not gonna be great care. the french psychoanalyst progressively cut his sessions from 50mins to 5mins and charged exactly the same fee! For this he was expelled from the international psychoanalytic association, which did nothing to temper interest in his services - it only increased! As an aside, getting yourself expelled from your professional association may do wonders - James Grigson, aka Dr. Death, was a famous Texas psychiatry who testified in over 100 death penalty cases that the defendant was 100% likely to kill again (often without having even evaluated them in person). He was expelled from the APP and the TPPA which only increased the demand for his services in Texas!

There also seems to be this bizarre idea that you will make bank with a cash only private practice. You can do quite well potentially with a cash practice, but I don't know of anyone who set up a psychotherapy-based cash practice for the money. That would be stupid. There are many easier ways of making money. People do it because they want autonomy, to provide the kind of care they wish without being beholden to insurance companies, because they want to focus on psychotherapy, and because they wish to work part-time or have flexible hours (the latter is a biggie and of course is less conducive to making truly $$$$$$$). It takes a lot of drive, determination, and hard work to successfully set up, maintain and run a cash-based practice. I am amazed having spoken to some residents who think they can just hang up a shingle and people will come a-knocking. No they won't.

But all the examples I think of, for psychiatrists making what I would consider astronomical sums have been through somewhat dubious practices. Daniel Amen is probably the best known, and has generated billions through his quackery using SPECT imaging to "diagnose" and prescribing industrial quantities of stimulants, and providing dubious expert testimony that their "brain made them do it." There of course the psychopharmacologists like Stahl, Nemeroff, Biederman, Schatzberg, Nasrallah etc who whored themselves out for millions of dollars. Though the golden age of psychopharmacology is long gone, some KoLs still make 600k+ from whoring themselves out alone. Then there are the many forensic psychiatrists who are willing to ***** themselves out to attorneys and be "hired guns" or "say for pay" in big civil suits, or supporting big tobacco, or in death penalty phase trials. Those who add in some pseudoscience like SPECT, qEEG etc can expect to make $20k or so per case. Then there are the psychiatrists who become nothing more than superannuated drug dealers - prescribing large quantities of stimulants and benzos; running methadone mills; stimulant clinics; or even suboxone spas. While buprenorphine requires an X on your DEA for opioid substitution you can prescribe it as liberally as you like otherwise, even for depression! Some psychiatrists even prescribe oxycodone and other opioids, apparently for their mental illness. Then there are the Ketamine Kennels - where for a large fee you too can experience the K-monster or find yourself in a K-hole. Or you could enforce MOC and the cottage industry that comes with it (remember the ABPN President makes well of 800k).

I also know of one psychiatrist who seems to have done quite well for herself recommending coffee enemas to the rich (and apparently stupid). Yes, apparently rectally administered coffee is the cure for your psychic woes (but don't you dare drink it!)

tldr; psychiatrists are serfs and cannot in general expect to make large sums of money through direct patient care done ethically and effectively; however you will make a comfortable living in psychiatry and there are other ways to raise your income potential if you invest wisely, or have some creativity and entrepreneurial spirit and are willing to diversify your portfolio.

Reactions: 7 users

I'm not sure I'd say most consistent. You actively know they are trying to find salaried positions in most locums assignments that are paying you that (remember how much is going to the locum company on top of your pay) so the work can disappear and time you aren't work you get paid nothing. In contrast if you can find a salaried job to get you most of the way and then add on a 2nd 1099 or have a small PP you can have a very secure base to pull in the 3-4 range.

How feasible is it to do locums during residency in terms of time? I realize that there's a lot to do and learn during residency, but is it reasonable to try and do locums after PGY-1 if you're doing less than 60 hrs/week for your residency?

umm how are you going to do a locums position when you are working? unless you mean in your vacation time? You can however moonlight, which can be internal (i.e. extra shifts at your hospital) or external (at a different hospital). you need a full license for this, so depending on the state you are in this you would be able to start as a PGY-2 or -3. Some locales do not have any opportunities for residents, others have opportunities only for PGY-4 and above. Others still pay very well for even PGY-2 residents. Some places will pay residents much less, whereas others will pay residents the same as an attending. I think most programs allow moonlighting (though some may not). Others might have some bs requirement (like a certain PRITE score) to oppress you. You are supposed to report it in your duty hours and should technically be <80hrs week averaged over 4 weeks. A program with less call and well paid internal moonlighting might be particularly appealing (for example San Mateo has virtually no call and plenty of PES shifts for 175/hr I believe). As this would be W2 income you would lose less of it to taxes than from external moonlighting which would be 1099.

If this is important to you then you want to ask about this when interviewing to get a sense of moonlighting opportunities, how common it is, how much they pay, how far you have to travel to access them, how it fits in with your residency duties etc.

the french psychoanalyst progressively cut his sessions from 50mins to 5mins and charged exactly the same fee!

The trick is not making change