Current active duty wanting to pursue Veterinary path.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j0hnj0hn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My name is John and right now im currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I want to start some classes to get some credits on the way to start working Vet Medicine. I would like a List of school that are flexible, i will be returning to states around march-april.

Members don't see this ad.

My name is John and right now im currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I want to start some classes to get some credits on the way to start working Vet Medicine. I would like a List of school that are flexible, i will be returning to states around march-april.

This is a super vague question. Are you asking about vet schools or undergrad schools in general for your pre-reqs? If undergrad, the possibilities are endless. Where will you be living when you return? Most schools accept TA or GI Bill.

Yes its super vague i just need a step in the rught direction i have some college already but i was wondering what i should major my associates and bachelors in biology? Then pre-vet? And is there a website with a list of schools to think about

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes its super vague i just need a step in the rught direction i have some college already but i was wondering what i should major my associates and bachelors in biology? Then pre-vet? And is there a website with a list of schools to think about

You should choose a major based on what you'd enjoy. My first degree is in engineering and let me tell you, I really disliked the last 2 years and it made it that much harder to study and do well. I can only speak for myself but I do a lot better in classes that I find interesting. You don't need a biology degree to apply to vet school, but you will need to take the pre-reqs (general biology, inorganic and organic chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, etc.). Granted, if you major in biology some or all of those classes will be required as part of the degree, whereas if you study art or English you'll have to take the pre-req classes on top of the classes for your major. Does that make sense?

Here's a link to AAVMC, it provides an outline on each vet school (pre-reqs, selection criteria, tuition, etc.). If you poke around in the SDN pre-vet forum a bit more you'll see it's highly recommended you try to attend your in-state veterinary school to keep your student loans to a minimum (debt-to-income ratio and all that jazz). I don't know if you plan to use your GI Bill but if you attend the vet school in your state of residence your entire tuition will be covered (caveat: I don't know if that applies to a private vet school in your state) but if you go out-of-state the GI Bill will only cover a certain portion (it fluctuates yearly but it's usually in the $20k-$25k range).

http://aavmc.org/College-Specific-R...ific-Requirements_College-Specifications.aspx

Oh, and in case you don't know - vet experience is required to be accepted to vet school. That can be in the form of volunteering, shadowing, or working under a veterinarian. It's generally recommended that you have experience in different aspects of veterinary medicine as well (so large animal, small animal, exotics, wildlife, zoo, research, specialty, etc.)

No i didnt know that but before i worked in the animal hospital but got discouraged after finding out i had allergies but then i turn to try to do k9 for police Department but disnt get hired and now current military went in with intention to do military k9. As much i have not notice animals are my passion.
So far i havr some classes done for a associate in criminal justice. Doing k9 for military as a career or if i choose to get out and apply for police departments or the training schools is my plan and i know i can do veterinary along the way.

And before i return to the states i wanted to enrol in a school and start taking care of some pre-requisite classes so when i return i could attend classes in person and learn hands on

If you are a cop you are going to have a really hard time going Vet Med unless you separate. If it near impossible to complete the prerequisite classes when you have shift work and deployments. The only prereqs you will be able to get are the general education online ones. Out of curiousity, what rank are you and how far into your current enlistment are you?

Yes that i know getting my associates alone was horrible but thats why i had the training facilites in mind at least it wont be as demanding in case i cant handle it if i do decide to not reenlist. Just a lcpl with 2 years out of a 5 year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

shoot me a PM if you've got any specific questions. I also did 5 years in the Corps as 5811/5812 and currently in my first year of vet school.

Yes that i know getting my associates alone was horrible but thats why i had the training facilites in mind at least it wont be as demanding in case i cant handle it if i do decide to not reenlist. Just a lcpl with 2 years out of a 5 year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey John,
I know the Southern Illinois University has a relationship with the military and has active online programs for you to take classes in while still being active duty. My father received a Bachelors from the school without ever stepping foot on campus when he was active.
Good Luck.