Current applicants: Are y'all doing CASPer Snapshot??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snaketail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get this email about CASPer Snapshot? Seems like Altus is trying to copy the VITA by adding yet another hoop for us to jump through this year... Are y'all gonna do it?

Link: CASPer Snapshot Applicant Information Kit

Also I copied the body of the email I just got from CASPer for those that didn't get it / haven't taken it:
Thank you for taking the time to complete your CASPer test. We are excited to invite you to take CASPer Snapshot – a video response tool. CASPer Snapshot is one more opportunity for you to demonstrate your personal attributes and communication skills to the programs you are applying to - especially during this time where face-to-face communication is difficult. Depending on when in the admissions process the program reviews your Snapshot, it could help increase your chances of landing an interview spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got this email too! Are we supposed to do it? Why has no information come out about this until this email?

Reactions: 1 users
I got this email too! Are we supposed to do it? Why has no information come out about this until this email?
Right!? Like now I don't know how serious this is. Do schools care about the CASPer Snapshot? If were are already doing VITA should we do this? I feel like they really came out of the blue with this.

Reactions: 1 user
Right!? Like now I don't know how serious this is. Do schools care about the CASPer Snapshot? If were are already doing VITA should we do this? I feel like they really came out of the blue with this.

Yeah, I really have no idea what's going on with this... at least we knew VITA was coming. Do we think all the schools that require CASPer need this to even review our application or is this actually completely optional?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I really have no idea what's going on with this... at least we knew VITA was coming. Do we think all the schools that require CASPer need this to even review our application or is this actually completely optional?
I'm honestly considering sending emails to each of the schools that I applied to that use CASPer and see how they feel about Snapshot. I feel like some schools are already getting so much data from us and don't want to take the time to look through even more. I wonder if Admissions departments knew this was coming?

Just got the email too. Interesting. If it's an optional thing, could be another opportunity to differentiate ourselves.

I'm honestly considering sending emails to each of the schools that I applied to that use CASPer and see how they feel about Snapshot. I feel like some schools are already getting so much data from us and don't want to take the time to look through even more. I wonder if Admissions departments knew this was coming?

Please let us know if you do and what they say! I feel like it would be surprising if adcoms knew and didn't mention anything about it

Yup!! It looks like something Altus came up with on its own to compete with VITA, but VITA is being administered by AMCAS and is being coordinated with the schools, while this looks like it isn't. I would never do it unless a school made it mandatory (just like CASPer itself). I wouldn't even reach out to the schools, but would wait for the schools to reach out to me if they wanted it.

Reactions: 4 users
Also interesting that it is 3 questions and it says you have 2 minutes to read AND respond all while being recorded

I really hope my CASPer schools release a statement about whether they're using Snapshot as a factor or not. Otherwise I'd fear Snapshot being used as one more easy thing to help differentiate between applicants :(

Also interesting that it is 3 questions and it says you have 2 minutes to read AND respond all while being recorded
You do realize it's two minutes per question, not for all 3, don't you? I would also bet you can take breaks between the questions, although that is not clear.

You do realize it's two minutes per question, not for all 3, don't you? I would also bet you can take breaks between the questions, although that is not clear.

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry should've been more clear. I was more commenting on the fact that they record you while you are reading/thinking

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry should've been more clear. I was more commenting on the fact that they record you while you are reading/thinking
Just like a real interview, where they watch you while you formulate a response.

I won't do it unless I'm forced to. This is clearly just altius attempting to win back some of the market share it's inevitably going to lose to VITA and SJT. I'm sure they're worried they'll become obsolete in the near future - and they're probably right.

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like the good folks at CASPER are trying to make some money off of schools. I would do it only if a school send me a requirement to do it.

UMich sent an email saying they weren't going to use it and didn't know about it beforehand, so this might be a case of CASPer being CA$$$Per

Reactions: 1 users