Current BU students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qtlilkitty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to choose between Tufts and BU. Any suggestions to why I should choose BU over Tufts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should choose Tufts over BU. Tufts is a couple thousand dollars cheaper per year, nicer facilities, more convenient all around, more relaxing academic life, in front of Chinatown with hundred of restaurants, nightclubs, performance theaters within walking distance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't say Tufts was any easier, but it is definitely more relaxing in term of the atmosphere and the support culture. Their Part1 and Part2 review board at Tufts is simply superior. There are a lot more vacation/break time; BU has this APEX but it is nothing more than a way to clear out classroom spaces for other students. I used to live in front of BU and Tufts and have roommates from both schools; Tufts simply students have a better life all around. Most students at BU hate their school and feel like they're just serving a 4-year prison sentence.

Too much of a subjective question... I too know people from BU and Tufts, and can say I am happier then my Tufts friends... It all depends on who you ask..

Bu tends to spread out their exams, whereas Tufts gives block exams...That also dosent sound like either has an easier life style...

In Terms of Locations: neither are in the best of areas... Tufts is closer to ChinaTown (not the greatest thing) whereas BU has more of a campus feel...Visit the campuses and you will know what I am talking about...

Personally I am happy I choose BU over Tufts...and yes I did have the option to attend either.

If you've visited both schools, choose the one that you feel can best help you reach your goals. Cost of attendance is pretty much the same at both programs and you are not going to find an unbiased opinion in this forum.

without knowing much about tufts, i would say try Tufts. here's why:

1) tufts have better average board scores. however, bu doesn't publish their scores and when you ask an administrator.. they're suspicious. it's almost like they're hiding something

2) chinatown: dood there's nothing wrong with c town. yeah at night it's shady but it's a block away from the theater district, night clubs, boston commons, movies, etc etc. there are parts of china town you don't want to go to.. but where BU is at... it's in da hood. from dec till now, there have been 6 muggins. that sux and surprising. plus the subway is no where near BU. Tufts has a stop right in front. this means you can live anywhere in prox to the t stops. meaning you don't have to pay ridiculous rent of boston for hood-ish surroudnings.

3) patietn selection: here i think sadly both schools suck ass. i can't get a damn thing.... i feel two months behind. thery've lower requirements b/c of this new 'diagnostic clinic' if you know anyone here at bu ask them about it.

4) everyone who works at the school, including steriilzation, staff, radiology ppl, janitors, the basement store, some administratiors.... hate students. i have no idea why they're in an educational institution. they're so un happy about students.. it makes trying to get any work done is very difficult and a downer.

bottom line: i only know bu so other than location being important... you should ask a tufts person. remember that APEX is a waste of time, there's too many dman students, with no faculty, not enough chairs, etc etc... and now i hear the AS class is jumping up 15 students.... it's dumb.

the BU admissions is awesome... but please don't be fooled as i was.... they have nothing to do with anything except the first two week before you get to school.

okay i've talked too much.

Tufts. Don't ask questions.

without knowing much about tufts, i would say try Tufts. here's why:

1) tufts have better average board scores. however, bu doesn't publish their scores and when you ask an administrator.. they're suspicious. it's almost like they're hiding something

2) chinatown: dood there's nothing wrong with c town. yeah at night it's shady but it's a block away from the theater district, night clubs, boston commons, movies, etc etc. there are parts of china town you don't want to go to.. but where BU is at... it's in da hood. from dec till now, there have been 6 muggins. that sux and surprising. plus the subway is no where near BU. Tufts has a stop right in front. this means you can live anywhere in prox to the t stops. meaning you don't have to pay ridiculous rent of boston for hood-ish surroudnings.

3) patietn selection: here i think sadly both schools suck ass. i can't get a damn thing.... i feel two months behind. thery've lower requirements b/c of this new 'diagnostic clinic' if you know anyone here at bu ask them about it.

4) everyone who works at the school, including steriilzation, staff, radiology ppl, janitors, the basement store, some administratiors.... hate students. i have no idea why they're in an educational institution. they're so un happy about students.. it makes trying to get any work done is very difficult and a downer.

bottom line: i only know bu so other than location being important... you should ask a tufts person. remember that APEX is a waste of time, there's too many dman students, with no faculty, not enough chairs, etc etc... and now i hear the AS class is jumping up 15 students.... it's dumb.

the BU admissions is awesome... but please don't be fooled as i was.... they have nothing to do with anything except the first two week before you get to school.

okay i've talked too much.

Yeah exactly what she/he said. The one bright spot is the admissions staff and perhaps the only reason I havent high-tailed out of this mess yet.

I haven't heard great things about BU from students. I'm not sure what their reasons are. but some things I don't like about Tufts are:

1) you have to take part 1 by june 30 of your second year. you're not allowed to take them until after mid-april. this means you're juggling that, classes, and getting into the clinics. as far as I know, BU students take part 1 right after first year, which would make life less stressful.

2) the exam block format. 7 exams in 5 days? why?

3) the incoming class is going to be about 200 people. my class is less than 160 and that seems like pushing it.

things I like:

1) the location.

2) the general atmosphere. students and administration are very supportive. I don't get the sense that anyone hates the students.

3) some of the professors are the best I've ever had.

4) it has a good reputation. I met schillingburg (big daddy of fixed prosthodontics) right before I started interviewing at schools. he told me not to waste my time with BU.

3) the incoming class is going to be about 200 people. my class is less than 160 and that seems like pushing it.

how do you know this? the admissions office said they were going to cap the clas of 2011 at 160ish

they told me it's going to be 160 as well. did they change it?

I'm almost done as a freshman at BU, and so far there were no issues in my 1st year.

A lot of 3rd and 4th years complain about the clinics, mostly how everything is set up with the "Diagnostic Clinic". The class size for the Advanced Standing program has gone up last year (I think), makes it harder for 3th and 4th yr students to get a chair, makes the clinic more crowded than it should be, etc.

The way I see it, every school has a downside, that's the reality check for all future dental students.

P.S. I too heard about Tufts DMD class size is going to go up next year to 200.

i just called, the admissions people said its going to be around 165 at tufts

They both stink, go to a state school if you can.

Stop Hating... Not everyone can get into or wants to go to UF... And besides, Boston might be expensive but its a helluva lot better place to spend four years of professional school than Gainsville....:D

Does anyone know when BU students have to write NBDE I? and if the school provides kaplan books or they have to buy it?

Does anyone know when BU students have to write NBDE I? and if the school provides kaplan books or they have to buy it?

Formerly, NBDE Part I was taken at the end of the fall semester of year II. Not sure how the new computer based exam will affect the scheduling as of Fall 2007. Kaplan books and QBank have been purchased by the school to supplement other student reveiw materials. Not sure if this will be changed. Personally I think Kaplan prep course for the NDBE part I is a rip off. Not just in terms of cost, but also the content and overall organization of the text book. I've recently seen First Aide for the NBDE Part I and it at first glance it appears far supperior to the stuff that Kaplan's trying to pull over on students. However I've not used the First Aide book since I had already taken the boards when the first edition was released. But ultimately you should go with whatever works best for you as you prep for the exam.
Best of Luck