Current dentist: Would it annoy you if the dental assistant outshines you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbalion92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think jealous is a pretty strong term to use. The dentists are most likely are not jealous of you. You continue to be employed there, so your interpersonal skills are definitely an asset to them, and you should continue to use them. I think you are thinking too much into this. Just work hard and be on good terms with the dentists, because a good letter from them can help you in your aspiration on entering dental school.

Don't take this the wrong way please, just some constructive criticism.

Based on your post, you seem to hold yourself in very high regard within this practice. It seems you don't respect your co-workers, and you look down upon them from what you're saying. I would take that as the reason you feel the way that you do at the office. Especially if you are being mockingly referred to as "doctor."

Try a different approach with your co-workers and the doctors, you may have an easier time and a less hostile work environment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like either you're uptight, your coworkers are uptight, or you're all uptight. Just be nice and friendly to everyone. Make friends and hopefully care for one another. Don't step on anyone's toes. Take friendly advice openly. If you're going to give someone else advise, be tactful.

Don't take yourself seriously. A good office shouldn't feel like a hierarchy is always in place. It should feel like a team with teammates who look out for one another. As a predent, finding an office with a good team dynamic should be an important criteria when finding an office to shadow.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like either you're uptight, your coworkers are uptight, or you're all uptight. Just be nice and friendly to everyone. Make friends and hopefully care for one another. Don't step on anyone's toes. Take friendly advice openly. If you're going to give someone else advise, be tactful.

Don't take yourself seriously. A good office shouldn't feel like a hierarchy is always in place. It should feel like a team with teammates who look out for one another. As a predent, finding an office with a good team dynamic should be an important criteria when finding an office to shadow.

You're right, a good office shouldn't feel like a hierarchy is always in place. I hate to admit my current circumstance but the clinic I currently work at operate on opposite terms: hierarchy and ego. Fortunately, my boss (head dentist) loves me. The rest of the staff (associate dentist, assistance, front desk, manager) simply hates me.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll certainly try to make light of circumstance and not take myself seriously (never a good look).

It would be great if my assistants were outgoing! It dampens the tension and anxiety that patients may have, and it makes my life easier.
What would annoy the hell out of me is my assistant thinking he/she could manage my patients better than I could. As long as you don't overstep your bounds by saying, or even implying things that go against the doctor, I see no problems.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been working as a male dental assistant in a pediatric dental clinic for a little over a year now. The reason for this employment is to make myself a competitive candidate for dental school and hone my communication skills. I've learned that in order to be a good dentist, this skill is a must. So I try to make sure the patient feel comfortable in the treatment chair by making small talk with them and trying to make them laugh.

However, my employees, as well as my boss are all immigrants (mostly Russians and 3 egyptians including the associate dentist) with broken English. Most of the staff have trouble with their English speaking skills and are obviously insecure about this.

Given the fact that I'm the only college educated employee that can speak english well, I feel as though I've become the most hated guy in the office. I suspect it's because the patients appear to be more open and comfortable with me about the reason for their visit than the doctors. The kids that come here also mistake me to be the doctor while the actual doctor is present in the room. I am certainly aware of the chain of command at play and know my role as a dental assistant is to simply do the job by providing assistance to the doctor. That is why I always make it known to the patients that I'm the assistant right when they come into the door. However, I was offended yesterday when one of the assistants called me "doctor" in a mocking manner. That's how I knew I may be either stepping outside of my role as an assistant to them or perhaps it's out of jealousy?

I just don't know how to go about doing my job without being so hated by everyone and still developing my professional skills for my future career.

This is kind of a weird post for me to make but I would appreciate some input here.
You sound like a very nice guy and as long as you treat everybody with respect and love, there is nothing you need to feel bad about. I wish you all the best in everthing!