Current International Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nukes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to remain in the US after completing the MD there. I realise you would need to get an H1B for residency and then when employed get a green card. But the H1B only lasts for a max of 6 years which would not be enough for residency + fellowship. Is there any other way to do this. Please let me know as I want to do medicine in the US but also want to know what realistically the chances would be to staying back and practising there.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nukes said:
How difficult is it to remain in the US after completing the MD there. I realise you would need to get an H1B for residency and then when employed get a green card. But the H1B only lasts for a max of 6 years which would not be enough for residency + fellowship. Is there any other way to do this. Please let me know as I want to do medicine in the US but also want to know what realistically the chances would be to staying back and practising there.
Thanks.
It all depends .If you are in US med school find a residency in rural areas where the demand of physicians exceed.You have a chance.You may be find white gal marry her and live here for ever.

kuralia said:
It all depends .If you are in US med school find a residency in rural areas where the demand of physicians exceed.You have a chance.You may be find white gal marry her and live here for ever.

True. I think though you can extend your H1 once for another 6 years. If you finish residency and fellowship, then you can be employed by someone who can sponsor you for green card. This will allow you to stay here.