International students using MD with an international equivalent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texhess

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

International Medical Student here, I have somewhat of a silly question but just wanted to poll the general population to get their take on it. There was one similar question to this on SDN but its like 10 years old so I wanted to update it.

So my school, an Irish medical school, claims that once I match back to the United States you can change the MB, BCh (and BAO, Hons) degree I've earned to the US equivalent, MD. I know that I'll have to be certified by the ECFMG so I'm not sure if that'll have anything to do with changing the letters behind my name -- the school is fully accredited, non-profit, curriculum seems the same to US allopathic, I've got a US undergrad degree, but I know that's not necessarily required for many of the students.

I know this is kind of a silly administrative question but just wanted to get some other folk's opinions. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

UK here, our grads who match to the US basically automatically get MD after their name (their programs do this) because it simply avoids confusion etc etc.

Reactions: 1 user
If your program decides to do this on your ID tag, white coat, business cards, etc -- then that's fine in that program. On your CV, or when you apply for anything, put your actual degree down. Unless you get something very official that changes it (I believe new york state had a program like this)

Reactions: 1 users
If your program decides to do this on your ID tag, white coat, business cards, etc -- then that's fine in that program. On your CV, or when you apply for anything, put your actual degree down. Unless you get something very official that changes it (I believe new york state had a program like this)
To the best of my knowledge, New York is the only state that has a program like this (mostly because their education regulator is the University of the State of New York (not to be confused with State University of New York)).