Current LMT: good experience or get new training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

T-rexa

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First thread, so go easy on me 🙂 I have been a licensed massage therapist for about a year now. I'm in the process of earning my pre-req's for med school at a 4 year university as a non-degree seeking student because I earned my BFA in Modern Dance about 7 years ago. I have called 4-5 schools with this very question, but I felt like they were a little too nice about it. I'm willing and excited to go through new training for CNA, EMT, etc., but I would rather preserve my study time for a couple more semesters and stick to massage, if possible. Trying to be practical about how much time I have to give, but I'm not sure if shadowing and volunteering at a hospital would be enough. Thoughts?

Also have many volunteer hours under my belt and ongoing through a chairperson role with a youth leadership organization, so I'm mostly worried about the magical 'clinical experience' piece of all this.
 
Last edited:
First thread, so go easy on me 🙂 I have been a licensed massage therapist for about a year now. I'm in the process of earning my pre-req's for med school at a 4 year university as a non-degree seeking student because I earned my BFA in Modern Dance about 7 years ago. I have called 4-5 schools with this very question, but I felt like they were a little too nice about it. I'm willing and excited to go through new training for CNA, EMT, etc., but I would rather preserve my study time for a couple more semesters and stick to massage, if possible. Trying to be practical about how much time I have to give, but I'm not sure if shadowing and volunteering at a hospital would be enough. Thoughts?

Also have many volunteer hours under my belt and ongoing through a chairperson role with a youth leadership organization, so I'm mostly worried about the magical 'clinical experience' piece of all this.

You definitely don't have to go through additional training to become a CNA or EMT in order to get into medical school. Non-medical volunteering certainly counts, but as you can imagine, volunteering in a healthcare field is even better. Get connected with your local hospital's volunteer and shadowing services and start now with a few hours a month. It always helps to show a prolonged commitment, rather than some hours just before the application opens. Good luck!
 
Getting A’s and having volunteering is much better than a CNA or EMT or scribing in my region. I would 100% try to get A’s! That’s the hardest part