Current LMT: good experience or get new training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T-rexa

Reaction score
First thread, so go easy on me :) I have been a licensed massage therapist for about a year now. I'm in the process of earning my pre-req's for med school at a 4 year university as a non-degree seeking student because I earned my BFA in Modern Dance about 7 years ago. I have called 4-5 schools with this very question, but I felt like they were a little too nice about it. I'm willing and excited to go through new training for CNA, EMT, etc., but I would rather preserve my study time for a couple more semesters and stick to massage, if possible. Trying to be practical about how much time I have to give, but I'm not sure if shadowing and volunteering at a hospital would be enough. Thoughts?

Also have many volunteer hours under my belt and ongoing through a chairperson role with a youth leadership organization, so I'm mostly worried about the magical 'clinical experience' piece of all this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First thread, so go easy on me :) I have been a licensed massage therapist for about a year now. I'm in the process of earning my pre-req's for med school at a 4 year university as a non-degree seeking student because I earned my BFA in Modern Dance about 7 years ago. I have called 4-5 schools with this very question, but I felt like they were a little too nice about it. I'm willing and excited to go through new training for CNA, EMT, etc., but I would rather preserve my study time for a couple more semesters and stick to massage, if possible. Trying to be practical about how much time I have to give, but I'm not sure if shadowing and volunteering at a hospital would be enough. Thoughts?

Also have many volunteer hours under my belt and ongoing through a chairperson role with a youth leadership organization, so I'm mostly worried about the magical 'clinical experience' piece of all this.

You definitely don't have to go through additional training to become a CNA or EMT in order to get into medical school. Non-medical volunteering certainly counts, but as you can imagine, volunteering in a healthcare field is even better. Get connected with your local hospital's volunteer and shadowing services and start now with a few hours a month. It always helps to show a prolonged commitment, rather than some hours just before the application opens. Good luck!

Getting A’s and having volunteering is much better than a CNA or EMT or scribing in my region. I would 100% try to get A’s! That’s the hardest part