Pharmacy Job Market in the Midwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEwing2514

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I was wondering if I could get anybody's opinion on the job market in the midwest. I currently am licensed in VA, looking to relocate to the midwest. I was thinking about Missouri or Ohio but still not sure. Which states do you think has a better job market?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I was wondering if I could get anybody's opinion on the job market in the midwest. I currently am licensed in VA, looking to relocate to the midwest. I was thinking about Missouri or Ohio but still not sure. Which states do you think has a better job market?
European travelers are advised to avoid Missouri FYI Visiting the Arch probably OK.....

Reactions: 1 users
Job market for good techs pretty good I surmise

Job market for pharmacists not so much

Members don't see this ad :)
midwest isn't that good. Look at Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, west Virginia. Alaska is obv pretty good but comes with significant sacrifice. Basically look at the places no educated person wants to live . Where Virginia meet Kentucky probably has great pharmD demand but forget about finding a job in NOVA.

Midwest minus Illinois has a reputation as a barren wasteland, rightfully or not. I reckon it’s one of the last places along with rural south where pharmacists would have a reasonable shot at landing a job. The last frontier so to speak.

Reactions: 1 user
You would probably be better off looking in the Middle East.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Missouri has STLCOP and borders Illinois which has 6 pharmacy schools… So yeah…

Yeah I had a feeling it was pretty saturated in that area, I'll most likely start looking more so at the southern states, like Alabama and Louisiana. It seems like they have more opportunities. Thanks for all of the responses!

Find it hard to believe people can’t land a job at least somewhere in Indiana, Michigan, Missouri or Wisconsin..

Find it hard to believe people can’t land a job at least somewhere in Indiana, Michigan, Missouri or Wisconsin..

This is true - some of the marshlands and bog towns of the Midwest have openings.

I hear if you breed your children with their children they end up in movies called, “the hills have eyes”

midwest isn't that good. Look at Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, west Virginia. Alaska is obv pretty good but comes with significant sacrifice. Basically look at the places no educated person wants to live . Where Virginia meet Kentucky probably has great pharmD demand but forget about finding a job in NOVA.
Nope. I live in VA just 15 miles from both KY and VA and been working part time FOR YEARS. Way too many grads but thankfully the schools are really starting decline and hopefully close. They are just committing fraud now.

Nope. I live in VA just 15 miles from both KY and VA and been working part time FOR YEARS. Way too many grads but thankfully the schools are really starting decline and hopefully close. They are just committing fraud now.
Wow. How is there saturation there? I guess the Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy in JC is pretty close to the area. Well there you have it folks. I guess the last place saturation has not reached in the East Coast is the polluted tributaries of the Elk River in western-central WV.

Having multiple pharmacy schools doesn’t mean jack ****! Florida and Georgia have gazillion schools and still they have openings in their rural parts; wasn’t there a thread about pharmacy in south Florida offering sign on bonus?

Fact is almost all people who aren’t originally from rural/ undeveloped areas don’t want to stay there upon graduation and want to migrate to urban/ suburban parts. Those parts will be perennially underserved. Speaking for south, this includes Alabama, Lousianna, Mississippi, Arkansas, South Carolina, and rural Georgia, Texas, Florida and tennesse. I don’t have direct knowledge of Midwest but based solely on reputation, anything outside of metro Chicago also falls into above category of being undesirable place to live due to cold weather, and lack of nature with endless cornfields.

Wow. How is there saturation there? I guess the Bill Gatton College of Pharmacy in JC is pretty close to the area. Well there you have it folks. I guess the last place saturation has not reached in the East Coast is the polluted tributaries of the Elk River in western-central WV.
You got Bill Gatton in JC, ACP almost on the VA/KY/WV line and Marshall on the KY/WV/OH line. Sorry but even in the middle of nowhere there are no jobs and tons of saturation.

In my area (top most saturated state), there’s currently 500+ openings of your choosing (clinical, 7on7off, retail cant staff enough, hospital, PRN, etc.). Not sure if this is temp/artificial due to the COVID (well aware of saturation and the #s which is why i dropped out of pharmacy school after just starting P1 couple of weeks ago), but cant help but wonder if it was a mistake and now they’re going to open all these positions/start appreciating pharmacists lol. Pay is still lower than previous glory days (~50) but if there’s that many openings (and again in one of the most saturated, non rural areas), not sure if dropping out was a mistake.

In my area (top most saturated state), there’s currently 500+ openings of your choosing (clinical, 7on7off, retail cant staff enough, hospital, PRN, etc.). Not sure if this is temp/artificial due to the COVID (well aware of saturation and the #s which is why i dropped out of pharmacy school after just starting P1 couple of weeks ago), but can’t but think if it was a mistake and now they’re going to open all these positions/start appreciating pharmacists lol. Pay is still lower than previous glory days (~50) but if there’s that many openings (and again in one of the most saturated, non rural areas), not sure if dropping out was a mistake.

In my area (top most saturated state), there’s currently 500+ openings of your choosing (clinical, 7on7off, retail cant staff enough, hospital, PRN, etc.). Not sure if this is temp/artificial due to the COVID (well aware of saturation and the #s which is why i dropped out of pharmacy school after just starting P1 couple of weeks ago), but can’t but think if it was a mistake and now they’re going to open all these positions/start appreciating pharmacists lol. Pay is still lower than previous glory days (~50) but if there’s that many openings (and again in one of the most saturated, non rural areas), not sure if dropping out was a mistake.
Won't actually know for sure until it's too late to do anything but I'm betting this is temporary. Covid pushed a lot of pharmacists out around me too. Most, but definitely not all, of them were old enough to comfortably retire but chose to continue working for whatever reason. We have a bunch of openings and chains are offering sign on bonuses again but I doubt it'll last much longer than a year or two.

In my area (top most saturated state), there’s currently 500+ openings of your choosing (clinical, 7on7off, retail cant staff enough, hospital, PRN, etc.). Not sure if this is temp/artificial due to the COVID (well aware of saturation and the #s which is why i dropped out of pharmacy school after just starting P1 couple of weeks ago), but cant help but wonder if it was a mistake and now they’re going to open all these positions/start appreciating pharmacists lol. Pay is still lower than previous glory days (~50) but if there’s that many openings (and again in one of the most saturated, non rural areas), not sure if dropping out was a mistake.
Which state (area) in particular were you referring to?

Won't actually know for sure until it's too late to do anything but I'm betting this is temporary. Covid pushed a lot of pharmacists out around me too. Most, but definitely not all, of them were old enough to comfortably retire but chose to continue working for whatever reason. We have a bunch of openings and chains are offering sign on bonuses again but I doubt it'll last much longer than a year or two.
That’s what i was thinking too. Hopefully (for me) it’s true as i left first sem in this year.