Desaturating the Pharmacist Job Market the Very Easy Way

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TAMU2017

Reaction score
To all of the pharmacy students and current pharmacists that are sick and tired of the oversaturated job market, and want to help do something about it, there is a very easy way that you all can. The very easy way to help desaturate the job market is by simply refusing to get a preceptor license. Unless of course, your job requires one. But most pharmacist jobs to my knowledge do not require one. The main cause of saturation is the sudden increase of new pharmacy schools opening up, and current pharmacy schools expanding their class sizes. In order for all of these pharmacy schools across the country to pump out the massive amounts of PharmDs every year, they need a lot of licensed preceptors to supervise them during there APPE rotations. If the number of licensed preceptors in the US were to greatly decrease, pharmacy schools would have no choice but to accept less students into their PharmD programs. Accepting less students equals less graduates, and less graduates equals a desaturating job market.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree but if the kids dont get paid it is free labor.

To all of the pharmacy students and current pharmacists that are sick and tired of the oversaturated job market, and want to help do something about it, there is a very easy way that you all can. The very easy way to help desaturate the job market is by simply refusing to get a preceptor license. Unless of course, your job requires one. But most pharmacist jobs to my knowledge do not require one. The main cause of saturation is the sudden increase of new pharmacy schools opening up, and current pharmacy schools expanding their class sizes. In order for all of these pharmacy schools across the country to pump out the massive amounts of PharmDs every year, they need a lot of licensed preceptors to supervise them during there APPE rotations. If the number of licensed preceptors in the US were to greatly decrease, pharmacy schools would have no choice but to accept less students into their PharmD programs. Accepting less students equals less graduates, and less graduates equals a desaturating job market.

I agree - I dumped my students 2 years ago and refuse to take more. I have a 100% clinical job and a history of precepting - so I often get contacted by the college begging me to take students

Members don't see this ad :)
I get daily calls from recruiters for pharmacist position, most are remote jobs. I have been rejecting it.

I agree but if the kids dont get paid it is free labor.
I hated some of my APPE for same reasons. I did so much over time for free. Stress and hard work for free. I look back as my pharmacy school experience as being one of saddest and stressful times of my life with nothing good in return.

Reactions: 5 users
I just don't understand why people decide to worry about job saturation until after they graduated pharm school and have incurred debt. They all thought it was a lie until they start job hunting

Reactions: 6 users
I just don't understand why people decide to worry about job saturation until after they graduated pharm school and have incurred debt. They all thought it was a lie until they start job hunting

This concept was a little vague about 10 years ago. But now, is disgustingly obvious. Anyone who has graduated from 2019 and beyond lacks the critical thinking/judgement necessary to be successful in the workforce as far as I’m concerned.

The only exception would be self-pay students

Reactions: 4 users
It's the same phenomenon with covid. There's people out there who didn't think it was a big deal or even thought covid was a hoax until they saw one of their friends/family die from it. Some people think they're smarter than they actually are and just can't get out of their own way.

Reactions: 8 users
Alternatively, if you are a preceptor, just start failing more students who do rotations with you. I'm not saying do it in bull**** unethical ways, but it wouldn't hurt to be extra tough on these youngins.

Reactions: 1 users
what do you all get paid to be preceptors? in 04 my school paid $900 a month - I live in a different area and there has been a steady decline, now the state school doesn't pay, and the private school pays $300 - ridiculous

what do you all get paid to be preceptors? in 04 my school paid $900 a month - I live in a different area and there has been a steady decline, now the state school doesn't pay, and the private school pays $300 - ridiculous
I'd take them if I was personally paid

Members don't see this ad :)
On top of your regular hourly rate for time you're forced to spend anyhow? Yup.
but it is so much more work generally - for me it would be $900 - but maybe that is just what I know my old school paid

My job gets much easier when I have students. I usually only have to show them how to do stuff once or twice and then they get to gain valuable experience doing high value activities such as clarifying scripts, taking verbals, and everything else I do. By the end I am usually sad to see them go because it means I have to do all those things again.

Of course there is the other type of student that somehow manages to make having them even more work than I already have to do, so it can go either way.

Of course there is the other type of student that somehow manages to make having them even more work than I already have to do, so it can go either way.
You mean the student who is so...special(?)...that none of the college faculty want to take them, and the student ends up having all of their APPE rotations assigned to external preceptors because those poor souls don't know what they are getting until the student arrives on day 1?

Nope, never heard of that before. Not a once.

Reactions: 5 users
I hated some of my APPE for same reasons. I did so much over time for free. Stress and hard work for free. I look back as my pharmacy school experience as being one of saddest and stressful times of my life with nothing good in return.
Same 😞

good idea. but preceptors are VERY lazy and just use students to do their work. free labor basically

Even easier way, prospective students should wisen up and learn basic risk/reward and ROI. I mean, they have somewhat since in 2017 there were 70k applicants and in 2021 there were 39k (yet basically the same amount of students pumped out every year so anyone with a loan was getting in).

good idea. but preceptors are VERY lazy and just use students to do their work. free labor basically
I work with a lot of preceptors, and I would say very few of them are lazy, let alone VERY lazy. Maybe in some other environments where they are just burnt out and use students as free labor, but for me it just creates a ton more work for me, and our affiliated college (I work for a university health system) forces us to take them - so I don't have a choice