Current Med students: were microscope fees charged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotinwoof

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if every med school charged a microscope fee when they enrolled or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine didn't charge a microscope fee, at least not that I know of. It is quite possible that it is included in one of the other fees we had to pay (However, I never saw or heard of a reference to any microscope fees...and given how rarely we use the single person scopes--we have 5 headed microscopes--I seriously doubt it.)

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of fee are they charging you?

At East Tennessee, we have to pay a separate $250 microscope rental fee- we use it for histology in the spring and micro in the fall of 2nd year.

At MSM, we were also charged a microscope fee. I have forgotten how much it is. What I do remember is being shocked at the price, and thinking that by now the rental fees should have more than covered the price of the microscope. If you ask me it is just another way medical schools rip you off. For example, in addition to our student library fees, administration is preparing to charge students for printing under the excuse that they must pay for the excessive use of paper. MSM only admits 42 students a year, go figure.