Current Nyu Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurl21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been many threads about NYU before, but I'm trying to get real opinions from current students only... no speculation/rumors heard by pre-dents. I'm seriously considering NYU and want to know any pros/cons you can think of. Thanks :)

Also, I come from a middle-class family and the cost of NYU is frightening. However, I don't want that to be the one factor that deters me from going there. For those in a similar situation that decided to attend NYU, after loans, scholarships, grants etc. how much out-of-pocket expense do you have? Feel free to PM me... thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I love it. NYC is just amazing. Being young and in Manhattan and not have to work to make your livelihood is a once in a lifetime experience that you can never really have again.

As for the school? It's a lot of work, kinda hard, but nothing too out of the normal range for dental schools. Great biochem professor who is like one of those really cool funny quirky grandpas. My class is great, lots of really fun people, not many "not-well adjusted" ones.

Only complaints thus far are the elevators. Can take a while during peak hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, im a 2nd yr student at nyu - its a lot of work, but i think nyu is one of the best dental schools in the country.

phremius said:
I love it. NYC is just amazing. Being young and in Manhattan and not have to work to make your livelihood is a once in a lifetime experience that you can never really have again.

As for the school? It's a lot of work, kinda hard, but nothing too out of the normal range for dental schools. Great biochem professor who is like one of those really cool funny quirky grandpas. My class is great, lots of really fun people, not many "not-well adjusted" ones.

Only complaints thus far are the elevators. Can take a while during peak hours.

The entering class size is no longer like 260+ it was only 230 for us. I am studying anatomy as I write this. Not so bad at all. Study during the week...go out friday night in Manhattan(can't be the social life), recover saturday, study sunday. Works out pretty nicely. Yea...our biochem professor is probably 75 and has a side job as a comedian...well...it seems like he does, but he's a good teacher that keeps your attention. All these rumors of people failing etc etc, I've talked to many upper classmen and they say it is a thing of the past and that if you study...YOU WILL NOT BE KICKED OUT! I would definetely go here rather than some school with no social scene or a school in small city because that is something that keeps me refreshed and moving forward with school. Also...you can get Subway here at 2 am...i was amazed.

I am a third year student. I thought NYU was great the first year. Second year, it wasn't as great, but it was still a good school. Third year, you see how bad the school is. If you can go elsewhere, do that!
Clinics suck, NYU really does a bad job in failing students, the school is too big, too crowded, there's never enough faculty for the students.....
Basically, go to another school. But that's just my opinion!

toysareus said:
I am a third year student. I thought NYU was great the first year. Second year, it wasn't as great, but it was still a good school. Third year, you see how bad the school is. If you can go elsewhere, do that!
Clinics suck, NYU really does a bad job in failing students, the school is too big, too crowded, there's never enough faculty for the students.....
Basically, go to another school. But that's just my opinion!

well yeah, your year and the one prior are apparently the ones that got the major shaft.... sucks... but helloooo new curriculum.

CHECK OUT THIS THREAD...
many candid views on NYU...!!!!!!
Good Luck

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=196074

Gurl21 said:
I know there have been many threads about NYU before, but I'm trying to get real opinions from current students only... no speculation/rumors heard by pre-dents. I'm seriously considering NYU and want to know any pros/cons you can think of. Thanks :)

Also, I come from a middle-class family and the cost of NYU is frightening. However, I don't want that to be the one factor that deters me from going there. For those in a similar situation that decided to attend NYU, after loans, scholarships, grants etc. how much out-of-pocket expense do you have? Feel free to PM me... thanks everyone

I am a first year student. It's been pretty good so far.

Throughout the orientation, faculties repeated "NYUCD will do all their power to help you graduate." So as you can tell, NYUCD is aware of the infamous retation rate talked in SDN.
Also, I heard how the school changed carriculum to aid students better. The school is going through some major changes regardless. Many thanks to those upper class students who made enough noise to make faculty to face issues.

ToothCandy4U said:
I am a first year student. It's been pretty good so far.

Throughout the orientation, faculties repeated "NYUCD will do all their power to help you graduate." So as you can tell, NYUCD is aware of the infamous retation rate talked in SDN.
Also, I heard how the school changed carriculum to aid students better. The school is going through some major changes regardless. Many thanks to those upper class students who made enough noise to make faculty to face issues.

Remember, when you are selecting a school seek out many opinions. If you rely on one persons view (a sample size n=1 for you science geeks) your info may be very biased. As a D1 NYUCD has met all my expectations, facilities are the very best and most faculty are great. Living in Manhattan...it speaks for itself. NYUCD did undergo some major cirriculum changes about 5 years ago and it spawned some bitter students. In the two most recent years the admissions has been more selective and limited the class size so reduce marginal students. Lets face it, if you cannot compete at this level, and are struggling to pass you will not enjoy your time here. Thus, it is those few who are unhappy that complain the most.

Nothings perfect; the financial aid department at NYUCD is comprised of two persons who go out of their way to be unhelpful. They messed up several people fin. aid packets and were extremely rude about it. However, once you get past that, things are ok.

Good Luck,

Is it true that the they took 120 foreign grads this year?

look, plain and simple...
You got accepted to dental school...
are you good enough to stay in dental school... if not then its fair that you get "kicked out"
so if you make it this far you better pass your classes.

I love this school, you make your choices and the school offers all what you wish for...research, patients, classes...whatever
the city is awesome too....i wont go anywhere else