Current OD students- cons about your school?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by HazelEyes34, Dec 20, 2005.

1. HazelEyes34

HazelEyes34 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    As someone deciding which optomtery school, I know there are a million factors to consider when choosing a school. In the end, of course it will be my decision and what feels right for me, but just as something to think about, can the current OD students on here list ANY cons they have about their school? I think it might be helpful to those of us still trying to decide! (Especially if anyone has anything to say about SCO, PCO (which I saw on another thread), and SUNY)

Also, for those at SCO now, how is the Memphis area to live in?

2. gsinccom

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'd be interested in this topic too. So I'll throw a few on the list. What are the cons about attending SCO(already mentioned), or SCCO, or Pacific, or ICO, or Nova?

3. sco1styear

5+ Year Member

Here's some links to show you some of what memphis has to offer. I know they don't really tell you what it's like, but they might be interesting. The last is a video of memphis, they really did a horrible job but it does show some things like the pyramid (which is right beside mud island where most live) and the first houses it show are houses on mud island. At the end it shows lots of people who are at the memphis in may music festival and then at the memphis in may bbq cookoff.

I'm not good with cons because I'm a big fan of sco and memphis but I'll try. Memphis is not a place I would want to end up living but there are many suburbs of memphis that would be nice to live in. Memphis is not a very safe city if you stray into the "ghetto" but Mud Island is extremely safe and downtown isn't something you really have to worry about either - you just have to stay away from south memphis. You just have to be smart, which is not hard to do.

I personally think it's a very cool place to live and living close to downtown is something that probably won't fit my life in a couple of years so I'm glad to get to experience it now.

Someone else feel free to pipe in...

http://www.memphischamber.com/default.asp?contentType=static&browsePath=LivingInMemphis,Culture

http://www.cityofmemphis.org/framework.aspx?page=1

http://www.cityofmemphis.org/framework.aspx?page=568

4. gsinccom

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    what is the commute like from these "safe" suburban areas to SCO?

5. sco1styear

5+ Year Member

It depends, on mud island it only takes about 10-15 min to get to school (depending on how you hit the lights) and from the suburbs I think it takes most people 30 min or less.

6. anchan

anchan Member
    5+ Year Member

i thought there already was a similar thread named "defend your school" or something like that.