Current Pharmacy Students: How "involved" are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kim.

For those of you that are already in pharmacy school... how involved are you in the different campus organizations and clubs? Are you a member of one of the professional fraternities?

Did you join right away when you started school or did you wait until the next semester when you had a better idea of how things worked in pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Kim,

I joined ASP my first semester and was elected treasurer for the upcoming year. I'm also the fund raising chair person. As for professional fraternities, the only one available at my campus is Kappa Epsilon. It might be cool at other schools, but the chapter at my school really doesn't do anything to promote pharmacy. They are more interested in social activities, hosting their own formals, and generally acting like they are still in high school. They remind me of the old SNL sketch - Delta Delta Delta - can I help ya, help ya, help ya.

It's not really something that I am interested in. I prefer ASP. We do things like go to schools and teach kids about poisons, instruct people on blood glucose meters, etc. as opposed to mandatory coffee at Starbucks.

I too joined ASP as soon as I started. Then let my membership lapse. None of the groups appealed to me-either they didn't do much, or they had leadership that I couldn't stand (you know the people I'm talking about). After undergrad, I was so burned out on extra-currics, I never wanted to hear the words "Robert's Rules" again.

I resumed my ASP membership this past year (4th year) for the discounts on references, and the cheaper insurance (went through Pharm. Mutual, anyway). Joinded ASHP because the journal was pretty good, and I was going through the residency Match.

I'd suggest joining one organization and waiting to see what the others do. No sense throwing $20 in dues around to every acronym your campus has. If one of them does something you think you'd get into before this year is up-ask to visit, or just join then. The most precious thing you have in pharmacy school is your time. Try not to give it to just anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I "joined" everything, but I wouldn't say that I'm an active member. I enjoy the journals (at a good price), and the discounts on APhA textbooks. It's only $20-30/year for each membership, and you can check them all out and then stay with the ones that you like. I think I'll keep NCPA and APhA, but drop ASHP next year. I've been looking into our fraternities but, as somebody already mentioned, it's not worth joining if they just meet once a quarter for a party or some lame function. I can party without the politics. :thumbup:

I joined ASP because it was the only thing available to me. I am now the president elect of our chapter and we are starting to become quite involved. I am the speakers committee chair person as well. I also sit on the class philantropy (sp?) committee and communication committee. I guess you can say, I am quite involved!

I joined ASP and have been only moderately active in it. We may start a NCPA chapter here, in which case I would join that and possibly look into holding a position. I did a lot of things my first time through college so I'm a little worn out from that still :D

I'm Class VP for next year and will be pledge coordinator for Lambda Kappa Sigma next year as well. I'm also trying to organize a journal club and was planning on starting another organization, but they dedicated a committee for it, so I don't think it's necessary anymore.

There's definitely time and you will often find that getting involved will save you time later on. You can get access to other's notes and study materials, textbooks, find cool study groups, and jobs. It will also get you more excited about pharmacy school alotta times. I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't get involved.

As has been discussed, SC has a new sh*tty grade policy, but it still affords for outside activities. Moreover, my class is well aware of it and is trying to find ways of making the class of 08's journey less arduous.

There's probably an organization or school position for w.e. kooky interest you have in pharmacy. If there isn't directly, there probably is by extrapolation.

You'll find that pharmacy school is an amazing blend of disciplines and career interests. Honestly, more than any other profession.

BE EXCITED!!!!!!

I know that BMB was really active this year and that both he and Lyzziebeth will be officers in organizations next year, so everyone is trying to be involved. To be frank, it doesn't reflect well on you if you're not active in at least one organization, bc most ppl are (at least at sc)

I think I will be joining ASP right away too. I would rather join less organizations and be able to be more active in those than spread myself to thin the first semester.

I don't know much about the fraternities at our school, I suppose I'll learn more once school starts.

Thanks for all the replies! btw, Triangulation, I am VERY excited about starting school and being involved! I was amazed at how many different extracurricular activities the school has to offer.