Current research on gender identity disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cudur

Reaction score
It seems that gender identity disorder has been a controversial diagnosis. What is the current science (biomedical evidence) on the issue? What are the long term effects of such treatment?

Considering the amount of time it take it even takes for a new blood pressure pill approved, how would it be remotely possible to go from malpractice to give patients hormones and castration, and then to malpractice not to give hormones no questions asked, almost overnight? People dying of cancer can’t even get access to an experimental cancer drug that fast. It took 60 years to establish definitive proof that smoking causes lung cancer. Are organizations such as the AAP making political PR statements based on sociology and politics? Has politics mixed with medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) the currently used term is gender dysphoria, not gender identity disorder
2) the medications used for transition are already approved and on the market, and have been used for many, many years, they are just being used off label. As a pediatrician, a good portion of the medications I use are off label anyway because many drug companies don’t pay for clinical trials for children.
3) groups in the Netherlands, which is what most of the guidelines are based on, have been researching this for more then 40 years. It’s not as new as you seem to think it is, it’s just becoming more visible and in the media.

As far as the research done in this, there are literally whole journals dedicated to transgender research. Go to pubmed and search for the biological basis of gender or something similar and I’m sure you’ll find a ton.

We don’t have long term studies. But we won’t have them unless we treat patients and follow them. We do, however, have ample data on the health disparities seen in this population, and doing nothing is not a neutral option.

Reactions: 2 users
1) the currently used term is gender dysphoria, not gender identity disorder
2) the medications used for transition are already approved and on the market, and have been used for many, many years, they are just being used off label. As a pediatrician, a good portion of the medications I use are off label anyway because many drug companies don’t pay for clinical trials for children.
3) groups in the Netherlands, which is what most of the guidelines are based on, have been researching this for more then 40 years. It’s not as new as you seem to think it is, it’s just becoming more visible and in the media.

As far as the research done in this, there are literally whole journals dedicated to transgender research. Go to pubmed and search for the biological basis of gender or something similar and I’m sure you’ll find a ton.

We don’t have long term studies. But we won’t have them unless we treat patients and follow them. We do, however, have ample data on the health disparities seen in this population, and doing nothing is not a neutral option.
I'm a little confused. You said a group in the Netherlands has been studying this for40 years, and later on said we dont have any long term studies on this. Could you offer some clarification?
Interestingly, an article on Medscape quoted a study, I think in the UK, where one third of their transgender patients tested out to be on the autistic spectrum. This explains a lot to me about the body dysmorphia aspect. It is obvious the politics are way out in front of the medicine in these cases. I agree we need better data to treat these patients compassionately and with efficacy.

Reactions: 1 user
There is unfortunately politics in almost everything

Reactions: 2 users
The answer by mvenus929 is correct and answers the OP - closing.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.