Current RN planning to take post-bacc next Spring/Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalproxy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Quick introduction about myself:
I'm 24 years old. Graduated with an Associate Degree of Nursing in Dec 2016 and Bachelor of Science in Nursing in May 2019. I have worked in the Emergency Department for 3.5 years and Cardiovascular Surgery ICU for a large teaching hospital for 1 year. At the same time, I'm per diem at a local LTACH (critical illness recovery-ICU) for 0.5 year. I feel very compelled to practice medicine instead of becoming a CRNA or an NP, so I plan to start over next year (Spring/Summer). I did some research on the RN non-traditional route and was thinking about doing DYI post-bacc. Upon further research, it seems that a DYI post-bacc will cost about the same as a formal post-bacc with all the prerequisites adding up and will take longer.
Would everyone give me some advice? Thank you

ADN: 3.4
BSN: 3.8/9

I have never taken any science courses before except basic AnP and microbiology at a community college. Most of my classes involved in nursing science and practices.

Members don't see this ad.

Does your teaching hospital job offer any tuition assistance? A DIY post-bacc will most likely be cheaper, if you take some courses at a community college. I would also check what the scheduling of classes looks like for the formal post-bacc, as it may be difficult to work around it, if you are planning on staying on as full-time. What do your ECs look like? I think that, as a nurse, we will have to prove without a doubt that we can handle the science coursework, which means As in the pre-reqs, and doing well on the MCAT.

It does offer tuition assistance. However, I don't plan to continue working full time for 2 reasons: sufficient saving to put myself through DYI/formal post-bacc (and even a part of med school) and wanting some time off work (I can still work per diem with DYI). The tuition assistance it offers only applies for education which a) leads to a degree and b) meets the criteria of business or operational necessity related to the current position.

I plan to apply to 1 year (9-14 months) Johns Hopkins post-bacc program which costs $42,000

A DYI at nearby university/private 4 year college will cost
Physics I (Mechanics or Heat+Thermodynamics) 4-5 credits
Physics II (Electricity+Magnetism or Optics/Modern Physics) 4-5 credits

Biology I ( Molecules+Genes+Cells) 4 credits
Biology 2 (Genetics) 4 credits

General Chem I and II, Organic Chem I and II= 16 credits

Total: 32 credits
$550/credit = $17,500 total
Excluding Biochemistry? Maths? English?

If I went the DYI route, the prerequesite process will take at least 1.5 years not counting the glide year

I would be able to save at least $70,000 with less tuition+ opportunistic cost (working per diem being in DYI program), but DYI will put me back 2 years

So essentially, with the Johns Hopkins formal post-bacc program, I feel like I'm paying to shorten the process and receive more resources.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, the physics courses at Hopkins are calculus-based, which is not required for the MCAT, and may be more difficult depending on your math background, and the median GPA for admission is 3.8. What's your backup plan? Also, the teaching hospital I work has the same tuition policy but never denied paying tuition for my pre-reqs.

FYI, the physics courses at Hopkins are calculus-based, which is not required for the MCAT, and may be more difficult depending on your math background, and the median GPA for admission is 3.8. What's your backup plan? Also, the teaching hospital I work has the same tuition policy but never denied paying tuition for my pre-reqs.
My first plan would be doing the formal post-bacc at Hopkins if I was admitted. My backup plan is doing it DYI at local 4 year college while working per diem. The tuition policy does not apply to per diem status unfortunately. I need to contact the college to figure out if it is possible for me to do Chemistry I and II in the same semester, which will let me take Organic Chem 1 semester sooner. Another thing is that I already took AP Calculus AB+BC and AP Chemistry in high school, so they might let me.

Edit: I feel that the more I speak my plan out, the more doing a formal post-bacc does not make sense in regard to finance and free time.

Last edited: