Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Current SLU Students: How do you like SLU?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Pewl, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey guys,

I know I went to the whole interview day and all at SLU, but I wanted to hear more feedback from current SLU students. What do you guys think of the school. Are there any glaring strengths or weaknesses that are prevalent to you now that you've been attending there for a while? I recently got a letter with good news from SLU and I look forward to possibly attending.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    anyone?

4. chintu

chintu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Pewl,

I am a current MSII at SLU. First, let me start by telling you why I ended up at SLU. I am from NC and after going through the application process ended up getting an acceptance from SLU and another school. Chose SLU because it felt like a better school and a better fit for me. With my 1.5 years of experience at SLU I can say that I am pretty happy to be here and consider myself very lucky. I had never been away from family so it was a difficult transition at first, but I soon got used to it with the busy life and studies. The curriculum here is awesome; i love block scheduling. First year has 4 blocks, each with 2 courses, except for gross anatomy. Second year is all system based with ~4 wks spent per organ system. It includes some review of 1st year material as well. As boards get closer, the exams are directed to be more and more boards like with strict time constraints to get us used to. Grading is p/f with 15-20% honors/near honors. There's about 3 hrs lec/day with a 2-3 hrs of lab/group activity/computer exercise each day to enhance learning. The teachers are generally pretty good and knowledgeable just like any other med school i suppose. If you are into research, they give summer grants if you are willing to research for the summer, which is not competitive to get. At the end of 1st and 2nd year there's an opportunity to sign up for a clinical or research elective for 10 wks. The residency match here has been generally pretty good in the previous years. The USMLE pass rates for both step 1 and 2 last year were above nat'l avgs (95% vs 91%)I guess that's more than you'd wanna know about curriculum. As for the city, i really like stl. I am not a fan of midwest weather, but its not too bad. I hate the wind though. As a city, stl is pretty decent, its not too crowded or too large. The student group in my class is pretty diverse ; in addition to a large group from midwest and cali, almost all parts of country are represented. I easily found people i could relate to. For me, the biggest adjustment here was the midwest life, weather, being away from family/friends and being in a town where I didn't know a single person at first. Not sure about you and where you are from, but i can tell you that you can easily get adjusted to life in stl and at slu. If you have any more questions, just pm me.

5. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I actually grew up in the Midwest, but moved to California in high school. I would definitely be very happy to return to the Midwest for med school. I guess my main concerns with SLU was the quality of the education in preparing your for step I, and also I wanted to know about how competitive, really, is the class.

6. size_tens

size_tens Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not sure how the competitiveness of SLU compares to other schools, but my class definitely has its fair share of gunners. Unfortunately there are some members of the class who gain enjoyment from seeing others fail. On the whole I think the SLU student body is pretty friendly and cooperative, but the bad apples are out there.

7. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How easy is it to find a single studio apt near SLU? Somewhere within walking distance hopefully?

8. roach

roach This is what happens...
    7+ Year Member

they're easy to find, but I wouldn't recommend living near the med campus.

9. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  10. pakidoc

pakidoc go stl cardinals!!
    5+ Year Member

hey seach for the official slu class of 2009 thread in the pre allo forum.. i used it when i was a premed... some current slu ms2s and ms3s have posted answers to queries similar to yours

11. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I'm also very interested in hearing from current students as well. Every little bit is greatly appreciated =)

12. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey, does SLU have the curriculum and caldendar up for the 2005 school year yet?

13. med2008

med2008 Junior Member

Medical Student
    I will speak to your apartment question.

I do live near the med campus....about 1.5mi south. There are good areas fairly close to school, and some very corrupted areas right around the block from campus, so you must choose wisely. Rumor has it the University is buying out the blocks of residences adjacent to the campus due to a problematic "entrepreneurial" resident. If so, that would be perfect!

South of the campus, there is a very ethnically diverse business district with lots of restaurants, a wine bar, grocery store, antique shops, bars, kinko's etc. The neighborhoods in that area are very close to school without the need for freeway driving at all. Rents are cheap, as you can find apartments in duplexes or four-plexes with private owners who like to rent to responsible med students for a decent price. You can get a nice one bedroom for the price of a studio in the "trendy" area of town (called the Central West End). Look into Tower Grove East or South if you look at all.

I highly recommend SLU, which is difficult to say, being from California. Winter isn't the greatest, but it is far from being the worst.

Good luck!

14. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Could someone tell me how many students there are per cadaver and how long gross anatomy lasts?

Also, are all the books and stuff purchased during orientation week? Does anyone know when the 2006-2007 school year calendar will be posted up on their site?

Thanks!

15. wowowowow101

wowowowow101 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Make sure you know what you're getting into by moving to St. Louis. I'm a current undergrad at Wash U, and I absolutely hate the city. You should schedule a follow up visit and get out to see if you're going to be happy here. Otherwise, you'd end up miserably waiting for your 4 years to end. With that said.. SLU has a good reputation, and the students I know who attend are fairly happy. Also, St. Louis has an abundance of Medical Opportunities. Outside of medicine, St. Louis isn't really that great of a city.

16. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I grew up in the Midwest. I'm well aware of St. Louis. I'm more concerned about the learning environment there. Plus, I don't exactly have a choice at this point. Med schools are picking me, I'm not picking med schools. =P

17. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can any of you list some housing complexes or apartments near SLU (as in within reasonable walking distance) and are still in a safe area?

Thanks!

18. Ventil8

Ventil8 Member
    7+ Year Member

Current student.

Here is a link that you'll find helpful that my class put together.

http://medschool.slu.edu/housing/

links on left will guide you. I rent a house with classmates, pay $300 per month+ utilities. Cheap city in general, who cares where you are since the library is your hang out anyway. If you're a baseball fan, this is heaven on earth.

PM if you'd like, I'll get back to you asap.

19. Ventil8

Ventil8 Member
    7+ Year Member

Re: safety, live west of Grand and you're ok. Don't live on or near grand as it is a major border of the unsultry population. The immediate area around the school is being reformed 100%, they're tearing down whole blocks and building houses... by the time you graduate it will probably be much better than 3 years ago. Incentive to live there is a 20 property tax haven! That will be $75,000 on the houses being built. By requiring the new tenants to build they are changing the demographics in a way that should reduce crime.

just sayin' it like it is.

20. kashif

kashif Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I live less then half a mile away from campus, not too bad of a walk. I can walk to school in about 12-15 mins, and I can bike their in about 3-4 min depending on traffic lights (Yeah I bike like I drive, fast). The place is called the Saum and studio come in around oh about $550. But you get all the utilities, cable TV, and the close proximity to the school. The area is not too bad, but I watch my back during the night.

21. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Is the building quiet? Is the area peaceful?

22. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You must not get out much.

23. DrThom

DrThom Thundercat
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    No kidding. But then again, the kid is from WashU

24. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does anyone live in areas near the school that are safe?

25. roach

roach This is what happens...
    7+ Year Member

not quiet or peaceful...5 blocks from a trauma center. lots of sirens, helicopters etc.

would not recommend living here. lived there my first year of med school (because it was close) and lived to regret it. one night some dude got capped outside of the building. there was one month when there were 4 murders in the nearby blocks. on top of all this were annoying things like getting accosted in the elevator, getting laundry baskets stolen, and not having my window a.c. replaced even when it was 90+ degrees outside.

if you want to live in the city, soulard is a good area. around 2-3 mi from school, relatively safe & cheap with good nightlife.

p.m. with questions if you want

26. kashif

kashif Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have thankfully not had most of these experiences, but I have only been living here for about 6 months. And yes I do hear sirens during the night, but I actually like the sound, and I am a very heavy sleeper so I rarely wake up because of them. :)

27. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Soulard's great. further down Grand is probably OK- kind of block by block in certain areas- depends on where they've done rehabs. also the Hill, Central West End, St. Louis Hills, Dogtown, and even parts of Maplewood and Richmond Heights, although then you're starting to battle highway traffic.

I'm also available by PM if you have specific questions.

28. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hmmm intriguing.

Do you guys have the phone n umbers or websites of the other places that are a little further away from the sirens and such?

But.. not quite far enough that it's impossible to walk?

29. Beau Geste

Resident [Any Field]
  30. chanjurban

chanjurban Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, I've got questions...

I'll be commuting from West County every morning via I-44. Where will I be parking and how much will it cost?

Also, I'd like to beat traffic (and I'm sure there's going to be a heck of a lot of traffic with the I-64 shut down...) I'd like to get there early (say 7 AM) and work out. Are there facilities for that on the med school campus or are they only on the undergrad campus. If so, is there some kind of shuttle service between the two campuses?

Thanks

31. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'll defer the parking questions to someone else but..

Hopefully 40 (64) won't be shut down. I think that's still up in the air, since most commuters want it to remain open. As of right now, 44's a breeze on most mornings, and at 7am I doubt there's much traffic at all. My biggest problem when I'm going to work down there is the 44/Grand exit getting backed up, but that's b/c of students coming in for 9am classes. You're right, though- 44 will be a mess if 40 does close.

Student rec center is on the Frost Campus. There's a shuttle bus which runs between campuses fairly regularly, but I don't know what time it gets going in the morning.

Rec Center: http://www.slu.edu/organizations/crcisc/
    Billiken Bus: http://www.slu.edu/services/transportation/billiken/

32. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'

Fellow [Any Field]
    see my above post for SLU's transportation- there are more apartment buildings up by Frost Campus (main campus), and you could catch the Billi Bus down..

The area immediately surrounding the school is mostly private residences, and although there have been some recent rehabs, most of it is probably not desireable or safe. Grand is a bus line, so you could probably go further south down there to somewhere in the vicinity of Grand/Arsenal/Tower Grove Park and find something cool, but again- it would probably be in a privately-owned 2- or 4-unit building.

Craigslist is a good idea. Zip codes would be 63104, 63110, 63108, 63103 for those areas.

33. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I can't imagine traffic being that bad, I mean it's St. Louis for God's sake! I live in LA! We invented traffic... and gangs!

how far is the main SLU campus from the medical campus? I'm also still a bit confused. What are the names of the areas that are a bit further but safer from the campus, again? I heard Central West End so far?

34. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'

Fellow [Any Field]
    :laugh: That's such a good point.

Med campus and main campus (aka, Frost Campus) are probably less than 1/2 mile apart and are a straight shot from each other down Grand Blvd. There are no dorms on the med campus, so undergrads in allied health professions live near Frost and take the shuttle down. Yes, you can walk it but most don't because of safety concerns. (And in the winter it's kind of a pain, more from the wind than anything else.) The strip of Grand between the two campuses goes under I-64 (known as Hwy 40.. you'll get used to it), then creates a viaduct over a really industrial area.

Honestly? I'd say you're going to need at least a bike, and a car would be good.

Central West End is very cool- my office is there, it's fun. Walking distance to Wash U Med Center but not SLU's. Well, I guess technically it is, but it'd be a long walk through some sketchy neighborhoods b/c it gets a little more unsafe on the outskirts.

Shoot me a PM and I can see if I can find any online maps or anything.

35. pakidoc

pakidoc go stl cardinals!!
    5+ Year Member

MS1 from slu here!!
    i live in ballwin. i take 44 (via 141woodsmill) to school everyday. have been doing it for 7 months now... no problems really. i leave at 8... and reach by 8:45 in time for our 9 oclock classes.

36. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For some reason I was under the impression that classes started at 8am at SLU.

37. SLUser11

SLUser11 CRS
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Things like number of students per cadaver and class start times seem pretty trivial in the grand scheme of your 4 year $200K education, but to answer your question nonetheless, Anatomy is the first 10 weeks of your first year, 6 students per cadaver, split into three pairs, doing every third dissection. Those classes start at 8am, afterwards the rest of your first two years of school will start at 9am.

Living within walking/biking distance from school is doable, but if you mess it up, which is easy to do with internet research and word-of-mouth, you'll be dodging bullets.

I am a fourth year, living in the Phi Chi Medical Fraternity house, about 5 blocks south on Grand from the school. I feel safe, and nobody has had any problems with crime in the two years I've lived there. The house is old, somewhat rundown, but with totally functioning amenities. you live with 6 housemates, in your own spacious room, $300/month including phone, cable, power, a/c window unit, etc. The house is generally peaceful and quiet except for the one day a year that we host the school-wide halloween party.

My roommate Rob ([email protected]) walks and bikes to school all the time without difficulty. Feel free to call him, as he will be President next year. I will PM you my info in case you want more answers.

I generally don't advertise as I haven't needed to in the past, but five of the roommates, including myself, will be doctors in may and are moving out.

PS: congratulations on your admission to SLU. Although we sometimes feel like the stepchild of St. Louis med schools, we train solid clinicians, have an excellent resident match, and I personally feel like a badass, but I kinda feel like that anyways...... :cool:

38. chanjurban

chanjurban Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Pakidoc!.

Thanks for the realistic view. I actually live right off of 141(woodsmill) and Big Bend. You're probably about 5 minutes further west of me. So can you guys answer about the parking question? Where to park, and how much does it cost?

Thanks

39. SLUser11

SLUser11 CRS
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

http://www.slu.edu/services/parking/

Finding that link took me about 5 seconds. I actually look forward to giving advice to future SLUsers, but parking, etc. is minutia, and trying to find answers here when better resources for that information is readily available and easy to find, seems low yield. :thumbup:

40. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What do you think are the most important things we should be asking?

What do you personally see as SLU's greatest strengths and weaknesses?

41. chanjurban

chanjurban Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you for the link. :love:
    I realize that there are probably other things I should be worrying about, but I'm practical. And I have not had the best luck navigating the SLU website. I've often found it very difficult to find any substantial info. In fact, I appreciate that the students on this website are more forthcoming because SLU med has in general (at least throughout the application process these past 2 years) been very difficult to get info out of... My interviewer this year asked if I had contacted the admissions office last year to learn how I could improve my app. She did not have a very shocked look on her face when I told her that I had and was basically blown off. :rolleyes: Sorry...that was a bit of a vent. All in all, I believe I can get a great education at SLU. But they have not done a great job (IMHO) in making applicants feel welcome. Thanks again.

42. andiluvsk

andiluvsk Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a first year at SLU. I live in Webster Groves and am happy here. It is very safe and easy on the eyes. I leave at 8:30 a.m and take the 44 and have yet to be late for a 9oclock class. PM with ?'s.

43. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Heh, the people in St. Louis must be awfully sad about the Cards getting swept in the World Series two years in a row! =P

44. Beau Geste

Resident [Any Field]
    Not as sad as those in cities with teams that routinely suck :p !

45. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'

Fellow [Any Field]
    You mean teams like this? :smuggrin:

oooooooooohhh.. 1988, huh? and 10 years since post-season play. ouch.

Los Angeles Dodgers Franchise History

Postseason Results
    SEASON ROUND WINNER LOSER SERIES

1996 LDS Atlanta Braves Los Angeles Dodgers 3-0
    1995 LDS Cincinnati Reds Los Angeles Dodgers 3-0
    1988 WS Los Angeles Dodgers Oakland Athletics 4-1
    1988 LCS Los Angeles Dodgers New York Mets 4-3
    1985 LCS St. Louis Cardinals Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2
    1983 LCS Philadelphia Phillies Los Angeles Dodgers 3-1
    1981 WS Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees 4-2
    1981 LCS Los Angeles Dodgers Montreal Expos 3-2
    1978 WS New York Yankees Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2
    1978 LCS Los Angeles Dodgers Philadelphia Phillies 3-1
    1977 WS New York Yankees Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2
    1977 LCS Los Angeles Dodgers Philadelphia Phillies 3-1
    1974 WS Oakland Athletics Los Angeles Dodgers 4-1
    1974 LCS Los Angeles Dodgers Pittsburgh Pirates 3-1
    1966 WS Baltimore Orioles Los Angeles Dodgers 4-0
    1965 WS Los Angeles Dodgers Minnesota Twins 4-3
    1963 WS Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees 4-0
    1959 WS Los Angeles Dodgers Chicago White Sox 4-2
    1956 WS New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-3
    1955 WS Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees 4-3
    1953 WS New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-2
    1952 WS New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-3
    1949 WS New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-1
    1947 WS New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-3
    1941 WS New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-1
    1920 WS Cleveland Indians Brooklyn Dodgers 5-2
    1916 WS Boston Red Sox Brooklyn Dodgers 4-1

46. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bleh, Dodgers suck.

GO COLTS and PACERS!

But then, they lose too. Those bastards! BAH! =P

47. DireWolf

DireWolf The Pride of Cucamonga
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If he has any questions about Valley Park, you're the one to ask.

48. pingouin

pingouin just chillin'

Fellow [Any Field]
    sssshhhhh! don't give away STL's best kept secret!

I'd suggest South County, but coming from LA, I doubt he has the requisite mullet and low-rider truck.

49. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ok, so far I"m hear West Valley, Central West End, Valley Hill. How far exactly are these places from campus and how quiet/safe are they?

50. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  51. Pewl

Pewl The Dude Abides
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Chanjurban,

I tried sending you a pm but your mailbox is full. I was wondering if you could send me like an anatomy or one of the other class syllabi because I'm really curious to see what they look like. Please pm me for my email.

Thanks!