Current Special pay chart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Anyone have the most current special pay chart that I could get a copy of? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

For Navy google “BUMED Special Pays”
Hello. There is a medical corps special pay guidance handout that comes up. The IP is higher than I remember it being. Has it changed recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. There is a medical corps special pay guidance handout that comes up. The IP is higher than I remember it being. Has it changed recently?

All of the special pays underwent a massive change in the 2015 timeframe. What is your frame of reference for “recent”?

All of the special pays underwent a massive change in the 2015 timeframe. What is your frame of reference for “recent”?
Well. I've been in residency for 3 years, with a GMO prior to that, and a TY. So the last time i looked at special pay was probably 2014. lol. So for ER it looks like 49000 dispersed over 12 months?

Well. I've been in residency for 3 years, with a GMO prior to that, and a TY. So the last time i looked at special pay was probably 2014. lol. So for ER it looks like 49000 dispersed over 12 months?

Correct. Won't kick in until October (3-months after completion of residency). Make sure you get GMO IP between end of residency and when ER IP kicks in in October.

The total dollar amounts are essentially unchanged. The reason IP is more than ISP used to be is that they lumped ISP, VSP, and ASP into IP to simplify it all. Board cert pay is still separate. If under a multiyear contract (what used to be MSP) the IP increases the same amount as ISP used to increase under a multiyear contract.

Only the RB portion of a multiyear contract is paid as a lump sum now. Everything else is prorated monthly.

Clear as mud?

Correct. Won't kick in until October (3-months after completion of residency). Make sure you get GMO IP between end of residency and when ER IP kicks in in October.

Definitely do not forget to submit for GMO IP for the summer!

Milphys/coopdawg, can you guys explain this? I was under the impression (from everyone) that I would just get paid my current resident pay until my specialty incentive pay kicks in 90 days after residency

Downloand and read FY19 Medical Corps Special Pay Guidelines (14Dec18).

2. e. (3) GMO IP - Eligibility is three months after completing internship, and must be licensed. Medical Corps officers who complete initial residency on active duty are eligible for the GMO IP the day after completing residency. ...

Reactions: 1 user
When you get to first duty station, go to PSD or HRD (you’ll be there anyway for check in) and make sure they submit the required paperwork for both GMO IP and then your specialty IP. It will come as back pay after the fact, but you need to stay on top of the request being submitted and keep checking to verify it was deposited properly.

Clear as mud?

Yes! Does the following sound right to you? I have read some of your post and you seem to understand pay as good as anybody here. I read through this from the DOD, https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07a/07a_05.pdf

Let say I have completed a civilian residency general surgery and want to join.

First 4 years get the CWSAB (100k/yr) + IP at 1 year rate each of the 4 years (52k) for a total of 152,000/yr. (Not sure I would qualify to get that IP bonus)

Then if I wanted to stay another 4 years I would get IP (73k) + RB (60k) for a total of 133/000 yr.

Say I stay an O3 the entire time, ~ 54k/yr first 4 years vs ~68k/yr second 4 years. So first 4 years would be 206k vs 201k the next 4 years, so no income change over 8 years. Sounds like the only way to increase income would be through promotion. Also you can only do the CWSAB once, correct? Thank you.

When you get to first duty station, go to PSD or HRD (you’ll be there anyway for check in) and make sure they submit the required paperwork for both GMO IP and then your specialty IP. It will come as back pay after the fact, but you need to stay on top of the request being submitted and keep checking to verify it was deposited properly.
So, you are telling us that we get both GMO IP and specialty IP? Like 15k plus specialty IP?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, you are telling us that we get both GMO IP and specialty IP? Like 15k plus specialty IP?

I believe they are saying that for the 90 day period after completing residency (before specialty IP kicks in) we are able to receive GMO IP for that 3 months. That is in contrast to just receiving your same residency PGY2+ IP of $8k/yr ($667/mo, or $2000 in that 3 month period) and would instead be authorized the GMO IP of $20k/yr ($1667/mo, or $5000 in that 3 month period) netting you a gain of $3000 (if we weren't aware or told to request GMO IP) prior to your specialty-specific IP kicking in 90 days after residency graduation which would end your GMO IP.

Thanks to MilPhys and Coop for the message because you just bought me a fresh three thousand dollar bill. Seriously - thanks!

I run a 10% consulting fee. PM me for details on how to send the $300.

Reactions: 1 users
In ye olden days of a couple years ago, before this IP/RB relabeling, everyone not in training got $15K additional special pay (ASP). This is now covered by GMO IP. Residency trained physicians still get the $15K ASP, except now it's lumped in with their IP (which also includes what used to be variable special pay / VSP).

The actual dollar amounts didn't change at all* with the label changes, not even to account for inflation. With the exception of FP and IM, which saw an $8K/year increase about 10 years ago, the medical special pays haven't changed at all since the 1990s.

* There are a couple windows of time where the total annual special pay under the new system is up or down by $500, assuming the physician is board certified.

Found the navy document but cant seem to find that expressive/explicit wording regarding GMO pay in the analogous Army or Air Force docs. Any advice on if I'm missing those files or if I can present a navy document for army or airforce finance?

Bump. Anyone with experience on this issue concerning Army/AF finance? I see a clear copy of the Navy guidance which describes GMO pay during the 3-month waiting period but nothing from the Army/AF/DoDi side. Think I will have trouble getting the special pay folks to follow the navy directive although I will definitely try

Could someone confirm/deny that Board Cert pay is separate from SAVE PAY? I just took a look at my current LES and do not see a board cert pay. I also checked the May '19 LES before I PCSed, and no separate board cert pay. Is it rolled into SAVE PAY or separate?

Could someone confirm/deny that Board Cert pay is separate from SAVE PAY? I just took a look at my current LES and do not see a board cert pay. I also checked the May '19 LES before I PCSed, and no separate board cert pay. Is it rolled into SAVE PAY or separate?
Board Cert Pay is rolled into SAVE PAY on your LES

Bump. Anyone with experience on this issue concerning Army/AF finance? I see a clear copy of the Navy guidance which describes GMO pay during the 3-month waiting period but nothing from the Army/AF/DoDi side. Think I will have trouble getting the special pay folks to follow the navy directive although I will definitely try

Any luck with the 3 month GMO pay before IP kicked in?

Just checking....you guys don’t sign annual bonus paperwork anymore? This used to such a drag so I am glad that military fixed this. As for board cert pay be sure to renew this before it expires (every 10 years).

Just checking....you guys don’t sign annual bonus paperwork anymore? This used to such a drag so I am glad that military fixed this. As for board cert pay be sure to renew this before it expires (every 10 years).

No, you should only have to do it if the pay rate changes.

Anyone who is here and is getting ready to graduate know if graduates are eligible for the GMO pay until their specialty pay kicks in 3 months after graduation?

Anyone who is here and is getting ready to graduate know if graduates are eligible for the GMO pay until their specialty pay kicks in 3 months after graduation?

For Navy the instruction says that residency grads are immediately eligible for the GMO bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I wonder if that applies to Army residency graduates

The individual Service instructions are usually pretty similar, but there are sometimes subtle differences. Definitely worth finding the AR.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN