Current state of Child Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Staphylococcus Aureus

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a DO student interested in child neuro, and am wondering if anyone can elucidate its future outlook, mainly:

1. Salary and Future demand?
2. Lifestyle?
3. Practice environment? Are you locked into being at a academic tertiary center? (I would prefer not to live in a large city)

Thank you!
 
I’m doing adult neurology but I’ll mention the few things I heard about child neuro.

Demand is super high. One of the university programs in CA has been trying to recruit child neurologists for past 6 years without any luck.

Salary seems to be on the low end but given the extreme shortage, I think there must be room for negotiation. In PP, you can make serious cash in child neuro. Virtually every pt needs an EEG.

No you are not locked into academia. I know a PP child neurologist that makes big bucks. He has a NP working for him seeing most of the General peds pts, while he focuses on child neuro and does some general peds on the side.