Current state of satisfaction with your PharmD

Started by PharmaSex
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are year round pharmacy schools that last 3 years total (2 years of coursework). Or maybe he was thinking of how many years of coursework he personally has left. However, I agree it's best people stop responding to him as several threads are derailed.
If he would have responded to my correction by saying that or if he had ignored my correction, I'm sure you would be right. Instead, he responded by saying that he forgot how many years of pharmacy school he had left. :/
 
If you had told me 20 years ago that the mandating of the Pharm D would've only resulted in us being able to give shots I don't think anyone would've signed on for that. It's resulted in debt laden students who are so scared to lose their job that they answer the phone "Would you like to get a flu shot?". I think many in this thread are putting lipstick on a pig when asked about their level of satisfaction with their Pharm D.
 
If you had told me 20 years ago that the mandating of the Pharm D would've only resulted in us being able to give shots I don't think anyone would've signed on for that. It's resulted in debt laden students who are so scared to lose their job that they answer the phone "Would you like to get a flu shot?". I think many in this thread are putting lipstick on a pig when asked about their level of satisfaction with their Pharm D.

Or I appreciate getting paid well into 6 figures and if my boss asks us to promote flu shots, I promote them. It's not like this is a hard job. I can't even count the amount if millionaire pharmacists I know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, most of them start in the summer, aside from the exception you mentioned. Do you regret not choosing AA school over pharmacy school?
I start pharmacy school next week, so I don't have the experience to look back on my decision yet. Financially, AA was a no brainer, but my sister has cancer and relies on me quite a bit and I couldn't stay in Nebraska with AA so I picked pharmacy so I could stay near her. Also had a PA acceptance but it was a brand new program and they seemed very unorganized, which ultimately made me more nervous than the job situation in pharm where I live. It was a really tough decision and I still am not 100% confident, but I'm rolling with it. Let the chips fall where they may.
 
Or I appreciate getting paid well into 6 figures and if my boss asks us to promote flu shots, I promote them. It's not like this is a hard job. I can't even count the amount if millionaire pharmacists I know.

160k is not well into 6 figures. My accountant charges 200/hr and my lawyer charges 350/hr. That's real money.
 
160k is not well into 6 figures. My accountant charges 200/hr and my lawyer charges 350/hr. That's real money.

Why do you have a lawyer and what does that have to do with my job? I'd never want to have to work as hard as lawyers do. This job is easy. Oh and Glassdoor shows the average salary is around 100k, that's nowhere near my salary.

I guess I should say why do you have an accountant too?

I don't even want to know why you pay them that much.
 
Last edited:
I start pharmacy school next week, so I don't have the experience to look back on my decision yet. Financially, AA was a no brainer, but my sister has cancer and relies on me quite a bit and I couldn't stay in Nebraska with AA so I picked pharmacy so I could stay near her. Also had a PA acceptance but it was a brand new program and they seemed very unorganized, which ultimately made me more nervous than the job situation in pharm where I live. It was a really tough decision and I still am not 100% confident, but I'm rolling with it. Let the chips fall where they may.

Sorry to hear your about your sister's illness, I hope everything works out. Your situation (in regards to you not being able to stay in NE if you became an AA) is an example of what I was saying before about why AA programs aren't more competitive than they are. Most people (aside from those in pharmacy, where it seems like people are enthusiastic about being forced to move to rural areas of unfamiliar states) want to be able to return to the state/city they're from to live and work in the future, so the relatively limited geographic distribution of AAs makes it a deal-breaker for a lot of otherwise competitive applicants. AAs currently can't work in states like CA, NY, AZ, NV and NE like you mentioned, so there are very few applicants to compete with from these off-limits states.
 
Why do you have a lawyer and what does that have to do with my job? I'd never want to have to work as hard as lawyers do. This job is easy. Oh and Glassdoor shows the average salary is around 100k, that's nowhere near my salary.

I guess I should say why do you have an accountant too?

I don't even want to know why you pay them that much.

I can see the value of retaining an attorney if you run a small business and have employees, labor law is a biatch. Retaining an attorney doesn't mean paying them $350/hr all the time, though. I mean, if I'm getting sued for withholding wages or for improper termination, okay then game on, I'm gonna pay for good representation, or get taken to the cleaners.

I pay an accountant a flat fee every year to oversee taxes, discuss tax strategy, etc... I have book keepers do the grunt work entry and pay like $50/mo for Quickbooks & $40/mo for payroll processing. So does my accountant make about $200/hr? Probably it averages around to that.

Devil's in the details. The clock isn't running all the time.



But yeah if you're a plain vanilla W-2 employee that works for CVS and you don't file schedule C, don't manage an LLC or S-Corp, and are not in a limited partnership or have active engagement (not passive gains/losses), and you're not actively being sued, there's pretty much zero reason to have an attorney or CPA actively working on your stuff all the time. Maybe if you have some estate planning issues you need to figure out, but it's not that hard to DIY revocable trusts and financial planning....and just pay someone a flat fee to review.
 
I can see the value of retaining an attorney if you run a small business and have employees, labor law is a biatch. Retaining an attorney doesn't mean paying them $350/hr all the time, though. I mean, if I'm getting sued for withholding wages or for improper termination, okay then game on, I'm gonna pay for good representation, or get taken to the cleaners.

I pay an accountant a flat fee every year to oversee taxes, discuss tax strategy, etc... I have book keepers do the grunt work entry and pay like $50/mo for Quickbooks & $40/mo for payroll processing. So does my accountant make about $200/hr? Probably it averages around to that.

Devil's in the details. The clock isn't running all the time.



But yeah if you're a plain vanilla W-2 employee that works for CVS and you don't file schedule C, don't manage an LLC or S-Corp, and are not in a limited partnership or have active engagement (not passive gains/losses), and you're not actively being sued, there's pretty much zero reason to have an attorney or CPA actively working on your stuff all the time. Maybe if you have some estate planning issues you need to figure out, but it's not that hard to DIY revocable trusts and financial planning....and just pay someone a flat fee to review.

Well I obviously meant a retail pharmacist like myself. I have zero use for an accountant or lawyer.

I do not however think your typical lawyer or accountant makes more then my simple job pays.
 
Well I obviously meant a retail pharmacist like myself. I have zero use for an accountant or lawyer.

I do not however think your typical lawyer or accountant makes more then my simple job pays.

I have several high risk side businesses. They both save me multiples of that in the advice they provide. Also the connections they provide get me face time with business elites. It's difficult to break into those circles if you didn't attend the private schools or elite Ivy league colleges.
 
I have several high risk side businesses. They both save me multiples of that in the advice they provide. Also the connections they provide get me face time with business elites. It's difficult to break into those circles if you didn't attend the private schools or elite Ivy league colleges.

That's fine but the salaries they make aren't the norm.
 
PHARMACISTS MAKE GOOD MONEY. 125-160k is a TON of money to work ONLY 40 hours a week. God why do all pharmacists act like they are poor? Its sad.

BTW who the F**k is PA2Pharm? I see this loser everywhere can someone block him or stop answering bc he honestly just takes up space on the forum. IDGAF if he majors in clown school with a minor in AA/PA/PharmD just stop responding to his ****.
 
PHARMACISTS MAKE GOOD MONEY. 125-160k is a TON of money to work ONLY 40 hours a week. God why do all pharmacists act like they are poor? Its sad.

BTW who the F**k is PA2Pharm? I see this loser everywhere can someone block him or stop answering bc he honestly just takes up space on the forum. IDGAF if he majors in clown school with a minor in AA/PA/PharmD just stop responding to his ****.

You are not the only one. S/he's the one I learned about the Ignore feature. I recommend you use it. It can be mildly entertaining from a Garfield Minus Garfield standpoint but some of this forum is now nonsensical now due to him/her. That is a reason that I wish the elevated moderators consider doing something about him/her in terms of sticking on point. We've already gone through all the constructive comments possible, and this person is not and will not be a pharmacist or in its path, so I cannot see how this person contributes anymore as this forum is supposed to discuss professional issues (inclusive of "I want to be a pharmacist" or "I want to NOT be a pharmacist"). @owlegrad probably has the philosophy of First Amendment and that this person has not openly transgressed any particular StudentDoctor forum rule (I cannot tell due to ignoring this person), but I do think the topic derailment makes it harder for the rest of us to have a discussion. (This is not anything against @owlegrad, this is one of those cases where the rules don't fit for the given situation.)
 
You are not the only one. S/he's the one I learned about the Ignore feature. I recommend you use it. It can be mildly entertaining from a Garfield Minus Garfield standpoint but some of this forum is now nonsensical now due to him/her. That is a reason that I wish the elevated moderators consider doing something about him/her in terms of sticking on point. We've already gone through all the constructive comments possible, and this person is not and will not be a pharmacist or in its path, so I cannot see how this person contributes anymore as this forum is supposed to discuss professional issues (inclusive of "I want to be a pharmacist" or "I want to NOT be a pharmacist"). @owlegrad probably has the philosophy of First Amendment and that this person has not openly transgressed any particular StudentDoctor forum rule (I cannot tell due to ignoring this person), but I do think the topic derailment makes it harder for the rest of us to have a discussion. (This is not anything against @owlegrad, this is one of those cases where the rules don't fit for the given situation.)

I agree (and I do have this individual on Ignore). PAtoWhatever has decided that (s)he doesn't want to be a pharmacist and that's okay. It's not okay for him/her to keep coming back to these forums, crapping all over pharmacy and pharmacists, and insulting who are only trying to be kind and helpful to him/her.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad