Current state of satisfaction with your PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe I've said on here before that the only areas in GA that still have enough jobs to count as having a semblance of something called a "job market" are in south GA (Waycross, Moultrie, etc.). Is that where you had to move (or nearby)?
Congratulations; however, how many recent pharmacy school graduates have had your luck as compared to the alternative (having to move to BFE, leave the state, etc.)? Also, to what lengths did you have to go to get the job? For example, were you one of the few students in your class who managed to get an intern job in a hospital, knew the right people, etc.? The fact that you even admitted to being in the right place at the right time and having connections is a testament to how much the job market sucks. It would be a totally different (I.e., much worse) situation for a new grad who didn't have those connections.

Also, now that I think about it, being 30 minutes south of the south side of ATL would probably put you at being maybe 15 minutes north of Warm Springs, which is basically BFE. So even though you managed to land a coveted hospital position, it's still in a somewhat rural area (and as we all now, south ATL isn't exactly Alpharetta). The only point I'm making is that even though you had connections and possibly other special circumstances that enabled you to land a hospital job, it took special connections to land a hospital job that ironically wouldn't even be considered to be a highly desirable one according to most people's standards. Who wants to bust their butt to out-hustle everyone else to get a "not great but it could be worse" job?

PA.. man.. seriously. The saddest thing about you is your apparent unwillingness to work for what you want. You always throw out a reference to "hustling" as if it's some unimaginable thing to have to participate in to find a job. I "hustled" in pharmacy school. That amounted to applying to an internship, showing up to work every other weekend plus a floating weekday, then landing a dream job in a desirable area within a few months of graduation after sending out several online applications. It wasn't that long ago and the job market hasn't changed that much.

Pharmacy is a poor investment for your average student in my opinion. I'll admit that. But your extreme heel-turn just makes me think you are trying to convince yourself more than anyone else. You should let it go, move on, and stop being so bitter. You aren't wrong about pharmacy being a big risk with a smaller chance of reward than before, but your over-exaggeration of the job market without any real experience is laughable. The constant comparing of the worst possible pharmacist job against an ideal PA position is really getting old.

Land a job with better pay and better benefits than mine directly from school and I will ask the mods to ban me. Mark the date, I stand by that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm just curious... how are your other former pharmacy school classmates faring in the job market? Do you have any idea regarding how many of them have had to move out of state, to legit BFE, etc.?

A good bit got offers with the companies they interned with. I know of a several who moved out of state, but our class as a whole had a sizable portion that was from out of state, so that likely played a role in many that left the state and going to AL, SC, NC, FL.

Why are you still here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PA.. man.. seriously. The saddest thing about you is your apparent unwillingness to work for what you want. You always throw out a reference to "hustling" as if it's some unimaginable thing to have to participate in to find a job. I "hustled" in pharmacy school. That amounted to applying to an internship, showing up to work every other weekend plus a floating weekday, then landing a dream job in a desirable area within a few months of graduation after sending out several online applications. It wasn't that long ago and the job market hasn't changed that much.

Pharmacy is a poor investment for your average student in my opinion. I'll admit that. But your extreme heel-turn just makes me think you are trying to convince yourself more than anyone else. You should let it go, move on, and stop being so bitter. You aren't wrong about pharmacy being a big risk with a smaller chance of reward than before, but your over-exaggeration of the job market without any real experience is laughable. The constant comparing of the worst possible pharmacist job against an ideal PA position is really getting old.

Land a job with better pay and better benefits than mine directly from school and I will ask the mods to ban me. Mark the date, I stand by that.

Everything I have said on here regarding the job market has come from DOPs and DMs who are directly in charge of hiring, and I'm not comparing "ideal" PA jobs to worst-case pharmacist jobs. The PA/AA jobs I'm comparing to are listed all over job websites such as Indeed.com (and other job websites that basically have, you know, practically zero job listings for pharmacists). And as for your proposition challenging me to land a job with better pay and benefits than what you received -- do you honestly have any idea as to the salaries and benefits packages that AAs/CRNAs are actually offered as new grads? You've seen the job listings on sites like Gaswork.com, right? Not only are the salaries offered by private groups to AAs/CRNAs higher than what even most retail chains offer to pharmacists, but at least there are jobs for AAs/CRNAs listed for areas where pharmacists can't even GET jobs anymore, simply because they rarely open up there (e.g., south FL, ATL, other big cities).

I can't tell if you're simply trying to imply that I either won't get accepted to AA school or wouldn't be able to graduate even if I did get accepted, or if you honestly believe that your lower six-figures income is actually higher than what most anesthetists earn these days.

If I play my cards right, I may be able to satisfy your challenge sooner rather than later; a general PA I know put me in contact with the HR manager at a local hospital (the same one that is firing dead-weight clinical pharmacists), and she said that they would be able to sign a tentative agreement with me to repay my PA school loans in exchange for a 2-year employment commitment. This is one reason I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to pursue AA or PA school. Ironically (and laughably) enough, this is also the same hospital that hasn't even hired one of their own pharmacy residency program graduates in over 4 years (at least 2 other GA-residing SDN members can back me up on this).

BTW -- I think you missed the whole point of my comments towards smercer's career "win," which was that despite his/her efforts to hustle and be a competitive student, they still ended up having to take a job in a relatively rural and undesirable area. Their anecdote did nothing to disprove my original point, which is that it now takes hustling and out-competing other students just to get a job in an undesirable area.

Edit: How about a counter-proposition? If the updated BLS job market growth projections for the pharmacy profession (which will be published in December) still haven't risen to above 5%, then you ask the mods to ban you?

Last edited:
BTW -- I think you missed the whole point of my comments towards smercer's career "win," which was that despite his/her efforts to hustle and be a competitive student, they still ended up having to take a job in a relatively rural and undesirable area. Their anecdote did nothing to disprove my original point, which is that it now takes hustling and out-competing other students just to get a job in an undesirable area.

As Gwarm01 stated, my hustling was pretty much the same. I worked as a tech and intern at a hospital, which gave me my network and allowed me to show those who I worked with that I was actually willing to work (which surprisingly, is hard to get out of many people). I did not do much in school other than show up and take the tests. I took steps to help me have good clinical rotations at well known hospitals in the city and applied to residency, which I ended up not getting. That's why I said it was being in the right place at the right time, as if I was doing a residency, I would not have gotten the FT job. I know you think anything south of ATL is undesirable, but as I said, I am still very close to ATL and will literally have a 10 minute commute. I would take that every day of the over working inside the city and having to commute 45 minutes minimum each way. Now, this is not to say that I would tell a pre-pharm student to do pharmacy. I very much agree with the general consensus that there are too many schools and too many new grads to make the profession worth pursuing.

You are right though, you have to consider what is desirable for you. It clearly seems that you want to live near a big city and in an upper class area, which is perfectly fine. I think you can still do that as a pharmacist, but it may not come as your first job. I do hope that whatever you decide works out for you and you can find happiness with the choice you make.

Reactions: 1 users
Everything I have said on here regarding the job market has come from DOPs and DMs who are directly in charge of hiring, and I'm not comparing "ideal" PA jobs to worst-case pharmacist jobs. The PA/AA jobs I'm comparing to are listed all over job websites such as Indeed.com (and other job websites that basically have, you know, practically zero job listings for pharmacists). And as for your proposition challenging me to land a job with better pay and benefits than what you received -- do you honestly have any idea as to the salaries and benefits packages that AAs/CRNAs are actually offered as new grads? You've seen the job listings on sites like Gaswork.com, right? Not only are the salaries offered by private groups to AAs/CRNAs higher than what even most retail chains offer to pharmacists, but at least there are jobs for AAs/CRNAs listed for areas where pharmacists can't even GET jobs anymore, simply because they rarely open up there (e.g., south FL, ATL, other big cities).

I can't tell if you're simply trying to imply that I either won't get accepted to AA school or wouldn't be able to graduate even if I did get accepted, or if you honestly believe that your lower six-figures income is actually higher than what most anesthetists earn these days.

If I play my cards right, I may be able to satisfy your challenge sooner rather than later; a general PA I know put me in contact with the HR manager at a local hospital (the same one that is firing dead-weight clinical pharmacists), and she said that they would be able to sign a tentative agreement with me to repay my PA school loans in exchange for a 2-year employment commitment. This is one reason I'm having a hard time deciding on whether to pursue AA or PA school. Ironically (and laughably) enough, this is also the same hospital that hasn't even hired one of their own pharmacy residency program graduates in over 4 years (at least 2 other GA-residing SDN members can back me up on this).

Edit: How about a counter-proposition? If the updated BLS job market growth projections for the pharmacy profession (which will be published in December) still haven't risen to above 5%, then you ask the mods to ban you?

You're not getting gwarm01's point either. They point is still that you have no realistic idea about the job market because you haven't applied for a pharmacist OR an AA/CRNA/PA position. You site indeed or other websites for AA jobs and salaries and hold that as gold and at the same time bash indeed for all the "non-existent" pharmacies jobs that are posted. No matter what, you're still getting he-say she-say info about RPH/AA/CRNA/PA positions.... gwarms not being funny, just wants you to actually do something and experience ANY job market for yourself instead of always going off second hand info.

What's sad is, it's almost August and you're still jumping between careers based off of which you think is sweeter. if you don't want to be that 30 year old living with his parents, you need to choose. I think it's been said earlier but just in case: The Grass Is Always Greener

Can a mod just ban this kid? I typically hate to go that route and like discussion, but this kid spams every topic about jobs with the same crap over and over. He derails almost every thread.

The PA/AA jobs I'm comparing to are listed all over job websites such as Indeed.com (and other job websites that basically have, you know, practically zero job listings for pharmacists).

You mean this Indeed.com?
GmezEiG.png

I'm not challenging most anesthetists, I'm challenging you. That's because...

If I play my cards right, I may be able to satisfy your challenge sooner rather than later

You are dealing with nothing but pure speculation. If I had gone to the Airforce academy and became a test pilot, I may have been able to become an astronaut and serve a mission on the ISS. Hell, if I play my cards right I may be able to become president of the United States one day!

I didn't miss any of your points. I think you are missing just how ludicrous it is for you, an AA failure turned PharmD dropout (congratulations, you finished the 1st year with good grades. I'd love to hear how you handled the second and third when things get real), to be looking down on someone who actually finished their professional program AND found a job. Looking down on them for "only" making a low six-figure salary, despite that being in the top 5% of earners in the country.

Why would I do this? I never claimed the pharmacy job market would bounce back to the early 2000's level of demand. I, along with half of this board, warned you about the job market and tried to steer you away from pharmacy. I, along with half of this board, have continually tried to give you advice and help you out, only to be constantly insulted by you.

So no, I will not ask the mods to ban me based on updated BLS statistics. I'm not challenging the Bureau of Labor statistics, I am challenging you. Produce some tangible results if you want to put me in my place. Otherwise you are just living in a fantasy.

Attachments

• ga.png
    ga.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: 1 user
Can a mod just ban this kid? I typically hate to go that route and like discussion, but this kid spams every topic about jobs with the same crap over and over. He derails almost every thread.

Just ignore him and don't respond to his ramblings, it's obvious he is delusional.

Reactions: 2 users
Why are you still here

Reactions: 7 users
You mean this Indeed.com?
GmezEiG.png

I'm not challenging most anesthetists, I'm challenging you. That's because...

You are dealing with nothing but pure speculation. If I had gone to the Airforce academy and became a test pilot, I may have been able to become an astronaut and serve a mission on the ISS. Hell, if I play my cards right I may be able to become president of the United States one day!

I didn't miss any of your points. I think you are missing just how ludicrous it is for you, an AA failure turned PharmD dropout (congratulations, you finished the 1st year with good grades. I'd love to hear how you handled the second and third when things get real), to be looking down on someone who actually finished their professional program AND found a job. Looking down on them for "only" making a low six-figure salary, despite that being in the top 5% of earners in the country.

Why would I do this? I never claimed the pharmacy job market would bounce back to the early 2000's level of demand. I, along with half of this board, warned you about the job market and tried to steer you away from pharmacy. I, along with half of this board, have continually tried to give you advice and help you out, only to be constantly insulted by you.

So no, I will not ask the mods to ban me based on updated BLS statistics. I'm not challenging the Bureau of Labor statistics, I am challenging you. Produce some tangible results if you want to put me in my place. Otherwise you are just living in a fantasy.

Regarding the Indeed job search site -- actually perform a search pharmacist jobs, briefly click through the first 5 pages of jobs (or more, if you want), and tell me how many of those job ads state that they are actually willing to hire pharmacists who don't have experience or haven't completed a residency... and among the job listings that DO state that new grads with no experience are considered, how many of them are in BFE? Practically all of them; I have lived in GA my whole life and saw pharmacist jobs in areas of middle/south GA I've never even heard of!

But I get it. It's not about the fact that my plan B career goals (AA/PA) lead to much better job prospects that offer overall more lucrative salaries, benefits, and PTO packages; instead, everyone wants to insist on refusing to acknowledge that yes, AAs really DO have more lucrative compensation packages than pharmacists and instead focus on the fact that I'm not re-enrolled in the program yet. But that doesn't change the fact that AAs/CRNAs have better careers because of all the aforementioned factors. In fact, everyone's insistence on stating that I won't ever get accepted to AA school again is an ironic testament to the fact that anesthetists have more desirable careers than most pharmacists, because it's obviously competitive to get accepted to AA school for a reason!

On the other hand, what if I said I wanted to re-apply to pharmacy schools? You know for a fact that I would absolutely get accepted to at least several pharmacy schools, and why? Because pharmacy school admissions is not competitive. And why isn't it competitive? Because "pre-health" applicants who actually have options no longer consider pharmacy to be a desirable career worth pursuing!

Posting here and saying "It doesn't matter how much better off you say AAs/CRNAs are than pharmacists, because at least the pharmacists here (well, some of them) actually have professional jobs and you don't" is kind of like visiting a restaurant with someone and saying "It doesn't matter, because the salad is good" in response to someone who says that the steak sucks. How does the salad being good change the fact that the steak sucks?

And yes, I understand that the 2nd/3rd years of pharmacy school are much more difficult than the first one; in fact, that's one of my reasons for quitting now. The next two years of pharmacy school would've been difficult because they would've required me to learn and apply more advanced clinical knowledge -- you know, the kind of clinical knowledge that pharmacists "practicing" outside of unicorn settings in CA and a few select other areas don't actually get to apply in real-life practice settings because insurance plans won't reimburse them for it?

Not only is the job market abysmal, but the corporate entities that are responsible for paying the healthcare professionals who actually provide clinical services don't even value pharmacists' education, training, or clinical acumen enough to consider them worthy of being paid to practice what they learned! And unless someone is just hopelessly passionate about learning/doing pharmacy and absolutely nothing else, why on earth would they put themselves through at least 2 more years of such difficult education to learn s$*t (and I can't think of a more appropriate word for it) that they most likely will never apply, and almost definitely won't ever get paid for it?

BTW, I think it's ironic that I'm definitely not the only one who is leaving pharmacy school for better opportunities. I'm not sure if you saw their posts (their username escapes me right now), but there is an AA student who has posted on here in a few recent threads who actually has several classmates who were previously enrolled in pharmacy school who left after their P1 year. There is also at least one current pharmacy student on here who said that a classmate dropped out to pursue general PA school. Gee, what does it say about pharmacy that we never hear any anecdotes about PA/AA students (or any other health professions students, for that matter) leaving their programs to pursue pharmacy?

Edit: I just looked at the Indeed.com page for pharmacist job listings in GA that you screenshotted in greater detail, and not only are the majority of them for residency-trained or experienced pharmacists, but on every single page there are a handful of jobs that are simply repeat listings or not even pharmacist jobs.

Just ignore him and don't respond to his ramblings, it's obvious he is delusional.

Yeah, the same kind of delusional that the people who compile statistics for the BLS, HRSA, PDI, and other job market reports are.

You're really off the mark. I don't think you understand why you get underneath people's skin. I can't tell if you are intentionally twisting people's words to fit your narrative, or if this is really what you think people are saying to you. Allow me to address a few of your points and attempt to clarify where appropriate.

Regarding the Indeed job search site -- actually perform a search pharmacist jobs, briefly click through the first 5 pages of jobs (or more, if you want), and tell me how many of those job ads state that they are actually willing to hire pharmacists who don't have experience or haven't completed a residency...
I'm not going to take the time to do this, but I'm sure most of the hospital jobs are requiring it. Probably the same general rules as everywhere else.. city hospitals require PGY1 or experience, smaller or more remote hospitals ask but don't require it.

and among the job listings that DO state that new grads with no experience are considered, how many of them are in BFE? Practically all of them; I have lived in GA my whole life and saw pharmacist jobs in areas of middle/south GA I've never even heard of!

Listen up, Mr. BFE. You live in a self-described undesirable town in Georgia. It's the American Deep South. You don't get any more BFE than that! I don't know how well traveled you are, but you sound like you need to expand your horizons. You may be surprised at the wealth of culture and experience you may find. I'm still laughing that someone from Georgia considers the midwest to be BFE when there are so many large cities with great culture, good people, and plenty of things to do. I'd give you some slack if you lived in Atlanta, but just barely. Even ignoring Chicago, you have cool cities like Minneapolis and Milwaukee. Small but pleasant cities like Madison.

But I get it. It's not about the fact that my plan B career goals (AA/PA) lead to much better job prospects that offer overall more lucrative salaries, benefits, and PTO packages; instead, everyone wants to insist on refusing to acknowledge that yes, AAs really DO have more lucrative compensation packages than pharmacists and instead focus on the fact that I'm not re-enrolled in the program yet.
I think you'll find the majority of people here don't have their heads in the sand. The kneejerk reaction to any post asking if someone should go to pharmacy school is "NO, go be a PA."

People are focusing on your personal situation because you are making it personal. When the pharmacist from Georgia mentioned having a full-time job and PRN position, you didn't just say "cool, congratulations." You have to make excuses for why they are an outlier, suggest they aren't making much money, then brag that you are going to be making so much more than them. Can't you see why people might want to tell you to put up or shut up?

But that doesn't change the fact that AAs/CRNAs have better careers because of all the aforementioned factors. In fact, everyone's insistence on stating that I won't ever get accepted to AA school again is an ironic testament to the fact that anesthetists have more desirable careers than most pharmacists, because it's obviously competitive to get accepted to AA school for a reason!
Funny that you seem to dwell on one or two people saying you can't do it when most people have wished you good luck and encouraged you down that path. If this is how you conduct yourself offline I would seriously take time to reflect on what kind of person I want to be.

On the other hand, what if I said I wanted to re-apply to pharmacy schools? You know for a fact that I would absolutely get accepted to at least several pharmacy schools, and why? Because pharmacy school admissions is not competitive. And why isn't it competitive? Because "pre-health" applicants who actually have options no longer consider pharmacy to be a desirable career worth pursuing!
I agree. Pharmacy schools are really good at taking money and ruining lives. They'll gladly accept someone who they know is a poor candidate. They get your tuition money whether you pass the NAPLEX or not.

Posting here and saying "It doesn't matter how much better off you say AAs/CRNAs are than pharmacists, because at least the pharmacists here (well, some of them) actually have professional jobs and you don't" is kind of like visiting a restaurant with someone and saying "It doesn't matter, because the salad is good" in response to someone who says that the steak sucks. How does the salad being good change the fact that the steak sucks?
I see it more like someone bought a new car and was really proud of it, then you ride up on your busted bicycle and tell them it's ugly. It's rude and insulting. Not dissimilar to pre-pharm and pharmacy students coming on here and trying to tell us what it really means to be a pharmacist. You are in no position to insult anyone, and even if you were, why would you want to?

And yes, I understand that the 2nd/3rd years of pharmacy school are much more difficult than the first one; in fact, that's one of my reasons for quitting now. The next two years of pharmacy school would've been difficult because they would've required me to learn and apply more advanced clinical knowledge -- you know, the kind of clinical knowledge that pharmacists "practicing" outside of unicorn settings in CA and a few select other areas don't actually get to apply in real-life practice settings because insurance plans won't reimburse them for it?
Every pharmacist uses their clinical knowledge. Every hospital pharmacist makes clinical interventions. It's a part of our job. We just get paid a salary by the hospital instead of sending a bill to CMS. You don't have to live in CA to be a clinical pharmacist.

Jesus, what do you think pharmacists do anyway?

BTW, I think it's ironic that I'm definitely not the only one who is leaving pharmacy school for better opportunities. I'm not sure if you saw their posts (their username escapes me right now), but there is an AA student who has posted on here in a few recent threads who actually has several classmates who were previously enrolled in pharmacy school who left after their P1 year. There is also at least one current pharmacy student on here who said that a classmate dropped out to pursue general PA school. Gee, what does it say about pharmacy that we never hear any anecdotes about PA/AA students (or any other health professions students, for that matter) leaving their programs to pursue pharmacy?
Stop being dense. We told you not to apply to pharmacy school, we encouraged you to go back to PA school. Everyone knows pharmacy is in a slump right now. YOU KNOW THAT WE KNOW. Why do you insist on pretending like we are arguing against that idea? We showed you the manpower project, we showed you the BLS statistics. You probably saw the abysmal NAPLEX failure rates here too. Do you really have this internal narrative that we are all pharmacy deniers and you are going to set us straight? Are you just purposefully being obtuse?

I'm really starting to think you are just being a troll. Okay, here, let me write your next post for you: "Why am I a troll? Because I'm saying the pharmacy job market sucks? Because the BLS statistics back me up."

Members don't see this ad :)

Not that simple when the entire thread turns into a back and forth with the kid.

Getting back to the thread, I kind of wonder of we are the survivor exceptions as in we're still in the profession to some extent. How many of us actually walked away from our licenses into family care (homemaker), real estate, IT (I wonder if @dgroulx went back to that sort of work), adult entertainment, or something else? I doubt there's anyone active in this board that really walked away post-licensure in work not having anything to do with healthcare. Those who walked away have walked.

May the Internet Gods strike me down with trolling as I have questioned existence.

I am sad though that there is representation on this board from people that would like to walk away, but cannot due to circumstances (mostly financial, but fear of being back to insecurity also drives working in a career not suited for you.). That for the Grace go I. Luck (including making your own) and being in the right place at the right time has more to do with how things end up than we would like to think about.

Getting back to the thread, I kind of wonder of we are the survivor exceptions as in we're still in the profession to some extent. How many of us actually walked away from our licenses into real estate, IT (I wonder if @dgroulx went back to that sort of work), adult entertainment, or something else? I doubt there's anyone active in this board that really walked away post-licensure in work not having anything to do with healthcare. Those who walked away have walked.

May the Internet Gods strike me down with trolling as I have questioned existence.

I am sad though that there is representation on this board from people that would like to walk away, but cannot due to circumstances (mostly financial, but fear of being back to insecurity also drives working in a career not suited for you.).

Actually I think @rph3664 successfully got out. I can't think of anyone else who did though.

It is *cough* unusual for someone to get out of pharmacy but stick around here posting all the time *cough cough*.

Reactions: 4 users
Actually I think @rph3664 successfully got out. I can't think of anyone else who did though.

It is *cough* unusual for someone to get out of pharmacy but stick around here posting all the time *cough cough*.

Prelicensure, all the time. Postlicensure, that's more interesting as there's at least at one point, that person could have had this, but decides to walk away voluntarily. Involuntarily, it also happens all the time due to substance abuse.

In @rph3664 's case, awesome. I hope he/she found something better.

In @rph3664 's case, awesome. I hope he/she found something better.

I was able to leave, and I do think I found something better. I loved being a pharmacist, but it just isn't the career I trained for.

I was able to leave, and I do think I found something better. I loved being a pharmacist, but it just isn't the career I trained for.

For those of us who are not familiar with your situation, can u tell u what you do now and what lead you to your decision

3/10 satisfaction. I'm only doing it for a steady paycheck. Just treating it like prison, do your time and get out. TBH, the $$$ is not even that great around $150k/40h work week with a couple OT here and there. Best years with OTs were ~240k; but nowadays I am just too darn lazy to start anything else or even do any OTs. This job can make you really lazy since the pay is just enough to raise a family decently, nothing frivolous. Once you get comfortable, you are "stuck" and become lazy.

Dude, I was scrolling and scrolling and scrolling, I couldn't figure it out. I finally noticed who the hell you guys were arguing with. I have that guy on ignore for the longest time. I didn't see his posts LMAO. I'm glad, he is still on ignore mode hahaha. He is still spitting out the same sh1t I see.

Reactions: 8 users
3/10 satisfaction. I'm only doing it for a steady paycheck. Just treating it like prison, do your time and get out. TBH, the $$$ is not even that great around $150k/40h work week with a couple OT here and there. Best years with OTs were ~240k; but nowadays I am just too darn lazy to start anything else or even do any OTs. This job can make you really lazy since the pay is just enough to raise a family decently, nothing frivolous. Once you get comfortable, you are "stuck" and become lazy.

And isn't that sort of prosperity such a trap? It's good enough that you won't leave, but bad enough that you don't want to stay. At least for us, the barrier to leaving is lower (as in not work at all), but for those who invest in further training, the rewards are greater (probably double ours), but the risks are correspondingly higher. It's as if someone figured out the optimization curve for just how much do we have to do to keep enough people around. Unfortunately, nursing is one of those where they keep on this cyclical pattern of being screwed over because there's just too big a labor pool.

You know any hiring? That's almost double my hourly

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
In the Midwest (MN, WI, and IA), I know for certain that RxRelief does as I've seen the budget override requests when they had to hire per diem from them when we can't staff. Supposedly, there are others as well (RxRelief was the lowest bidder).

8/10 satisfaction. Loans are paid off, I get to live in a part of the country where I've always wanted to live, and even as a so-called "staff" pharmacist, I do about a dozen clinical interventions every night. Getting back on days might be nice, but then that 7 on/7 off is pretty sweet...

I understand 150k is not bill gates status but the way you worded this you make it seem like 150k for 40h a week is bad. That's amazing money man 95% of Americans wished they earn. That's not "lazy chump change"

I understand 150k is not bill gates status but the way you worded this you make it seem like 150k for 40h a week is bad. That's amazing money man 95% of Americans wished they earn. That's not "lazy chump change"

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

150 for all the effort and time is why its meh for some. There are many other ways to earn 150 with less sacrifice is the issue.

150 for all the effort and time is why its meh for some. There are many other ways to earn 150 with less sacrifice is the issue.

Not many jobs where you stand in an air conditioned building all day, work 40hrs a week without required travel or projects to take home for 150k or more. Retail can definitely be tough, but many people operate in a very similar environment for a fraction of the wage. Most other high paying jobs take up much more than 40 a week.

Not many jobs where you stand in an air conditioned building all day, work 40hrs a week without required travel or projects to take home for 150k or more. Retail can definitely be tough, but many people operate in a very similar environment for a fraction of the wage. Most other high paying jobs take up much more than 40 a week.

RN->AA/CRNA, if PAtoPharm was admitted to AA school what does that tell you. (hint it is not hard to get accepted.) On gasworks I've seen positions for CRNA pay over 200k in rural area. My understanding is most CRNA cases are rote just like retail dispensing.

Software engineering. Graduate at 22 but way under 150. work for some years and not suck-get to 150. (school is less but bachelor in CS is harder than RX)

Salesperson. Ask what top drug reps make, not MSL, just the top reps. Yes, the bottom reps will be laid off. I am told sales in building materials is a real money maker now due to bustling growth in some areas. Doctorate not required.

An Honest Breakdown Of What I Made As A Server Vs What I Made At An Entry-Level Job

Waiting tables. At better restaurants the tips are even better. For so many RPH (myself NOT included) why take 200k in debt, fight for a job in NYC or LA, while you can make 60K waiting tables.

I'd go the engineer route and look to start up myself. Limitless...In fact I may go to down to prn and go to bootcamp!

RN->AA/CRNA, if PAtoPharm was admitted to AA school what does that tell you. (hint it is not hard to get accepted.) On gasworks I've seen positions for CRNA pay over 200k in rural area. My understanding is most CRNA cases are rote just like retail dispensing.

Software engineering. Graduate at 22 but way under 150. work for some years and not suck-get to 150. (school is less but bachelor in CS is harder than RX)

Salesperson. Ask what top drug reps make, not MSL, just the top reps. Yes, the bottom reps will be laid off. I am told sales in building materials is a real money maker now due to bustling growth in some areas. Doctorate not required.

An Honest Breakdown Of What I Made As A Server Vs What I Made At An Entry-Level Job

Waiting tables. At better restaurants the tips are even better. For so many RPH (myself NOT included) why take 200k in debt, fight for a job in NYC or LA, while you can make 60K waiting tables.

I'd go the engineer route and look to start up myself. Limitless...In fact I may go to down to prn and go to bootcamp!

When I originally applied and got accepted to AA school, I had not yet failed out of any other programs and tarnished my reputation as an applicant. But even now, my GPA is >3.5 (above-average for most AA programs), so I am not the typical student-who-failed-out-of-a-health-professions-program-because-they-failed-multiple-classes-and-therefore-have-a-low-GPA failure student. I''ll put it like this: AA school isn't nearly as competitive to gain acceptance to as most of the bitter people on here want to insist, but it's still a good deal more competitive than pharmacy school, that's for sure. The key is to focus on applying to programs that do closed-file interviews -- so that once you get the past of hurdle of receiving an interview offer, you'll never have to explain any red flags in your application ever again.

AAs don't have this kind of flexibility, but CRNAs can make way over $200k to work in rural areas here in the southeast. I know for a fact that an agency that specializes in placing CRNAs (1 year of experience required) in rural settings. They just filled a job that offered $250k as a base salary (no benefits but who needs them with that salary), only mandated 32 hrs/week in an outpatient podiatry clinic (two 12-hour shifts, one 8-hour shift), and extra pay for taking call/OT. This was for a job in a town called Hawkinsville, GA. There are plenty other jobs like this out there -- just check out job ads placed by Southern Crescent Nurse Anesthesia, Sweet Dreams Nurse Anesthesia, or similar groups.

This is what I mean when I say that other healthcare professions offer a MUCH better-than-average job package in terms of salary/hours in exchange for working in BFE, whereas in the pharmacy field, people are having to venture out into BFE areas just to get a job that MIGHT offer what used to be a "standard" salary offer of $110k-$120k/year to start. So whereas a CRNA or NP can travel a few hours out into BFE and make at least 2x what they'd earn in a desirable area, a pharmacist has to be willing to live in one of those areas just to earn the bare-minimum standard earnings package. A hypothetical salary difference of $10k-$20k between what a rural pharmacist and what a rural CRNA earns wouldn't be that big of a deal for someone who is truly "passionate" about practicing pharmacy, but when you're talking about a 2-2.5x difference in salary in favor of the CRNA, it begs the question... if you're going to move to BFE, why not at least make it worthwhile?

When I originally applied and got accepted to AA school, I had not yet failed out of any other programs and tarnished my reputation as an applicant. But even now, my GPA is >3.5 (above-average for most AA programs), so I am not the typical student-who-failed-out-of-a-health-professions-program-because-they-failed-multiple-classes-and-therefore-have-a-low-GPA failure student. I''ll put it like this: AA school isn't nearly as competitive to gain acceptance to as most of the bitter people on here want to insist, but it's still a good deal more competitive than pharmacy school, that's for sure. The key is to focus on applying to programs that do closed-file interviews -- so that once you get the past of hurdle of receiving an interview offer, you'll never have to explain any red flags in your application ever again.

AAs don't have this kind of flexibility, but CRNAs can make way over $200k to work in rural areas here in the southeast. I know for a fact that an agency that specializes in placing CRNAs (1 year of experience required) in rural settings. They just filled a job that offered $250k as a base salary (no benefits but who needs them with that salary), only mandated 32 hrs/week in an outpatient podiatry clinic (two 12-hour shifts, one 8-hour shift), and extra pay for taking call/OT. This was for a job in a town called Hawkinsville, GA. There are plenty other jobs like this out there -- just check out job ads placed by Southern Crescent Nurse Anesthesia, Sweet Dreams Nurse Anesthesia, or similar groups.

This is what I mean when I say that other healthcare professions offer a MUCH better-than-average job package in terms of salary/hours in exchange for working in BFE, whereas in the pharmacy field, people are having to venture out into BFE areas just to get a job that MIGHT offer what used to be a "standard" salary offer of $110k-$120k/year to start. So whereas a CRNA or NP can travel a few hours out into BFE and make at least 2x what they'd earn in a desirable area, a pharmacist has to be willing to live in one of those areas just to earn the bare-minimum standard earnings package. A hypothetical salary difference of $10k-$20k between what a rural pharmacist and what a rural CRNA earns wouldn't be that big of a deal for someone who is truly "passionate" about practicing pharmacy, but when you're talking about a 2-2.5x difference in salary in favor of the CRNA, it begs the question... if you're going to move to BFE, why not at least make it worthwhile?

How does one fail out of an AA program

How does one fail out of an AA program

Fail a single course. All programs teach a "lock-step" curriculum, which means that all classes are only offered once per year. So if you fail a single class, you're out. They might let you come back to start over again with the next class, but the catch is that they make you audit the classes you've already passed, and they won't approve you for a student loan, so it's almost easier to simply reapply to matriculate with a future class (the slate is wiped clean, in a sense).

What are some confirmed AA new grad offers you heard of
Yes RX does not fit all

Stop replying to him maybe he'll go away

Reactions: 3 users
What are some confirmed AA new grad offers you heard of
Yes RX does not fit all

Based on talking to my former classmates (I.e., these are offers the students have accepted), $151k to start at Grady Memorial in downtown ATL, around $130k (he wouldn't be more specific) to start at Piedmont Hospital in ATL, around $115k to start in more saturated areas of south FL. If you're looking for BFE, Rome (small town in GA) starts new grads off at $150k-$170k, depending on which shift you're willing to work (nights/weekends pay closer to the $170k). A hospital in Tifton, GA hired one of my former classmates to work in their outpatient surgery center (very low stress) for $140k and a $10k sign-on bonus. A girl I knew in the class who is originally from Valdosta, GA took an offer to work in Waycross, GA (one of the few towns in GA that still has pharmacist job listings) for $140k and a $20k sign-on bonus. Most of the students I know that I was in school with are hell-bent on going to either ATL or south FL or some other big city, but I know that smaller towns in OK, TX, WI are starting their AAs/CRNAs off at $160k+. If you're curious to see more salary examples and job lsitings, here is a link to AA-exclusive (no CRNA) job listings:

GasWork.com - Search - Anesthesiologist Assistant Jobs

The only catch is that there are some states AAs may never be able to live/work in, such as CA. They're also having a hard time breaking into western states in general, like NV, so whether or not you'd enjoy being an AA might depend on whether or not they're licensed to practice in a preferred state, assuming that location is at least somewhat important to you. BTW, every single job offer I referenced involves getting paid OT to take call or stay late (except that some of the jobs in the smaller OK/WI/TX towns require a higher number of base hours to be worked every week).

Based on talking to my former classmates (I.e., these are offers the students have accepted), $151k to start at Grady Memorial in downtown ATL, around $130k (he wouldn't be more specific) to start at Piedmont Hospital in ATL, around $115k to start in more saturated areas of south FL. If you're looking for BFE, Rome (small town in GA) starts new grads off at $150k-$170k, depending on which shift you're willing to work (nights/weekends pay closer to the $170k). A hospital in Tifton, GA hired one of my former classmates to work in their outpatient surgery center (very low stress) for $140k and a $10k sign-on bonus. A girl I knew in the class who is originally from Valdosta, GA took an offer to work in Waycross, GA (one of the few towns in GA that still has pharmacist job listings) for $140k and a $20k sign-on bonus. Most of the students I know that I was in school with are hell-bent on going to either ATL or south FL or some other big city, but I know that smaller towns in OK, TX, WI are starting their AAs/CRNAs off at $160k+. If you're curious to see more salary examples and job lsitings, here is a link to AA-exclusive (no CRNA) job listings:

GasWork.com - Search - Anesthesiologist Assistant Jobs

The only catch is that there are some states AAs may never be able to live/work in, such as CA. They're also having a hard time breaking into western states in general, like NV, so whether or not you'd enjoy being an AA might depend on whether or not they're licensed to practice in a preferred state, assuming that location is at least somewhat important to you. BTW, every single job offer I referenced involves getting paid OT to take call or stay late (except that some of the jobs in the smaller OK/WI/TX towns require a higher number of base hours to be worked every week).

Sounds like a good job and one I would have pursued had I had the foresight to see pharmacies current state of affairs. I'm sure it too will be saturated but seems it's at least 5-10 years off

Sounds like a good job and one I would have pursued had I had the foresight to see pharmacies current state of affairs. I'm sure it too will be saturated but seems it's at least 5-10 years off

It's never too late to go back and attend a program like AA or PA school; it seems like most AA school classes have a handful of older students in them (I guess I'll be one of them soon). If you click on some of the job listings on Gaswork.com and browse over the details, you'll see that most of the listings state that new grads will be considered. I think that CRNA school is still the way to go if someone has the time and stomach to endure nursing school, but for someone in my situation (or anyone else who is jumping ship from pharmacy or any other program) AA school will be just fine. Supposedly, an AA-to-CRNA bridge program is in the works.

Saturation will definitely hit eventually, but even the worst AA/CRNA job seems like a better deal than the typical retail pharmacist job (at least they get to sit down), and if everything goes to plan, I should be done with school before the job market reaches that point. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but as long as I get accepted to at least one AA program out there, I will actually come out ahead in terms of finances (AA school will cost less overall than the next 3 years of pharmacy school would have cost, and the higher starting salaries and better benefits would also allow me to get ahead financially). It still might not seem to make sense, but once you get past the whole stigma associated with "dropping out," it's easy to see how this is really the smarter path to take, objectively speaking. When I say "objectively," I mean that it would financially make sense for anyone else who has at least 3 more years of pharmacy school (and possibly residency) to complete to make the same kind of switch, unless they're so passionate about pharmacy that they can't imagine doing anything else.

BTW, the hospital DOP I know here (at the same hospital with the residency program) is trying to convince her youngest daughter to go to nursing school and become a CRNA. She told her to stay out of pharmacy

If someone's going to settle for $90k-$100k to work as a hospital pharmacist in some BFE town in south GA or KS or somewhere like that, then why not go for a job like this?:

GasWork.com - Reference #223259

A job like that offers relatively low-stress work (eye clinics and GI clinics are regarded as being the lowest-stress settings in the anesthesia world), 32-40 hrs/week, a decent amount of vacation, other benefits, and OT (in other words, this means that if you have to stay late, you get paid extra -- unlike in most pharmacy jobs), and you get to live in a desirable area, if that's what you want. If someone is willing to "settle" for $90k-$100k, why not earn it doing a job that involves dealing with much less stress and doesn't force you to move to a remote area in (most likely) a totally different state?

If someone's going to settle for $90k-$100k to work as a hospital pharmacist in some BFE town in south GA or KS or somewhere like that, then why not go for a job like this?:

GasWork.com - Reference #223259

A job like that offers relatively low-stress work (eye clinics and GI clinics are regarded as being the lowest-stress settings in the anesthesia world), 32-40 hrs/week, a decent amount of vacation, other benefits, and OT (in other words, this means that if you have to stay late, you get paid extra -- unlike in most pharmacy jobs), and you get to live in a desirable area, if that's what you want. If someone is willing to "settle" for $90k-$100k, why not earn it doing a job that involves dealing with much less stress and doesn't force you to move to a remote area in (most likely) a totally different state?

Are you taking the year off this year or did you get accepted somewhere?

Are you taking the year off this year or did you get accepted somewhere?

I'm in the process of applying to programs now. I am applying to at least several programs but I do have a definite #1 choice school in mind; not sure what I will do if I don't get accepted there. I can't imagine taking a year off just to reapply and hopefully attend the #1 choice, especially since I would be almost halfway done with AA school by that point if I just attend a program that does accept me (assuming at least one actually does). Then again, a year of working as an anesthesia tech may be all I need to get accepted to my #1 choice, which might make the gamble of taking an extra year off worth it. Not sure...

It's never too late to go back and attend a program like AA or PA school; it seems like most AA school classes have a handful of older students in them (I guess I'll be one of them soon). If you click on some of the job listings on Gaswork.com and browse over the details, you'll see that most of the listings state that new grads will be considered. I think that CRNA school is still the way to go if someone has the time and stomach to endure nursing school, but for someone in my situation (or anyone else who is jumping ship from pharmacy or any other program) AA school will be just fine. Supposedly, an AA-to-CRNA bridge program is in the works.

Saturation will definitely hit eventually, but even the worst AA/CRNA job seems like a better deal than the typical retail pharmacist job (at least they get to sit down), and if everything goes to plan, I should be done with school before the job market reaches that point. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but as long as I get accepted to at least one AA program out there, I will actually come out ahead in terms of finances (AA school will cost less overall than the next 3 years of pharmacy school would have cost, and the higher starting salaries and better benefits would also allow me to get ahead financially). It still might not seem to make sense, but once you get past the whole stigma associated with "dropping out," it's easy to see how this is really the smarter path to take, objectively speaking. When I say "objectively," I mean that it would financially make sense for anyone else who has at least 3 more years of pharmacy school (and possibly residency) to complete to make the same kind of switch, unless they're so passionate about pharmacy that they can't imagine doing anything else.

BTW, the hospital DOP I know here (at the same hospital with the residency program) is trying to convince her youngest daughter to go to nursing school and become a CRNA. She told her to stay out of pharmacy

Fortunately I enjoy my job. If the government ever lays me off I'll probably do a completely different career not healthcare related. In 2-3 years I'll have all my major debts except mortgage paid off and have 2-300k saved in tsp and bank account if the stock market doesn't crash before then. So will have flexibility if anything happens.

I'm in the process of applying to programs now. I am applying to at least several programs but I do have a definite #1 choice school in mind; not sure what I will do if I don't get accepted there. I can't imagine taking a year off just to reapply and hopefully attend the #1 choice, especially since I would be almost halfway done with AA school by that point if I just attend a program that does accept me (assuming at least one actually does). Then again, a year of working as an anesthesia tech may be all I need to get accepted to my #1 choice, which might make the gamble of taking an extra year off worth it. Not sure...

When do they send acceptance letters out? Shouldn't classes be starting soon?

AA programs don't all start in the fall, if I remember correctly. I think there was at least one that started in January. I was seriously considering AA but ended up choosing pharmacy.

Actually, by the time pharmacy students are done with their 2 years of didactic coursework (which involves learning interventions that they'll never get to receive insurance reimbursements for providing in the vast majority of states), AA/PA students have about 2 more months of clinical rotations to attend before they graduate.

Wow, I didn't think about the fact that there are actually 3 and not 2 years of didactic training for pharmacists. Yeah, there's no way in hell I could imagine forcing myself through two more years of this crap.
Just wanted to point out that these posts exist (and were posted today). I'm pretty gullible; however, at this point, even I don't believe this guy attended a year of pharmacy school.

AA programs don't all start in the fall, if I remember correctly. I think there was at least one that started in January. I was seriously considering AA but ended up choosing pharmacy.

Yeah, most of them start in the summer, aside from the exception you mentioned. Do you regret not choosing AA school over pharmacy school?

Just wanted to point out that these posts exist (and were posted today). I'm pretty gullible; however, at this point, even I don't believe this guy attended a year of pharmacy school.

There are year round pharmacy schools that last 3 years total (2 years of coursework). Or maybe he was thinking of how many years of coursework he personally has left. However, I agree it's best people stop responding to him as several threads are derailed.