Currently on Active Duty and interested in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyfourwire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on active duty in the Navy. My service obligation ends in May of 2012. At that point I'll have served 10 years. I'm interested in determining how my pay, rank, time in service, and retirement would be handled if I enter med school utilizing HPSP.

Specifically,

1. Do I have to leave the service prior to entering med school?
2. If I remain in the service do I get paid at my current paygrade or do I take a reduction?
3. Should I expect a reduction in rank also?
4. What time will count towards retirement?

I've searched the internet looking for information about active duty utilizing the HPSP program but have been unable to find specific information about pay, rank, and retirement for people with prior service.

I'll be calling a recruiter soon to ask the questions or get in contact with someone who can answer them but appreciate any insight people might have prior to that call.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't quote me on this because I'm answering off the top of my head.

1. Do I have to leave the service prior to entering med school?
2. If I remain in the service do I get paid at my current paygrade or do I take a reduction?
3. Should I expect a reduction in rank also?
4. What time will count towards retirement?

1. No, you can take an HPSP commission directly from your current service. They will discharge and commission you in the same breath. This will be a pain in the butt as you have to go about getting a conditional discharge/resignation. It is also going to be hard for you to do the application process if you're currently active.

2. No, they make you an O-1 while you take HPSP

3. See 2.

4. It all counts for retirement. You're technically active duty if you're receiving HPSP.

Definitely try the military medicine forum in the link above. There are quite a few people who are actually doing HPSP right now who can better answer your questions.