Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure there are a million and one threads on this already, but I'm a bit unique I think in a way. Long thread so bare with me.
So I'm 35 years old, have a bachelor's degree in Nutrition Science (grad 2007), have taken a number of prereqs past that 2007-2009 for at the time Physical Therapy School. Took a couple years off to help my grandmother who had some health issues at the time to help keep her out to the nursing home. Ended up getting a career job working as a food service manager which I found spiritually empty and draining with no purpose.
Just this year around March, I decided to get back into school with a goal to pursue medicine. The problem I have ultimately isn't really as much the time commitment, but I believe I'm a better fit in a role of a Physician Assistant than that of a Doctor. I believe it fits my personality as well.
I ended up enrolling in Organic Chemistry for this fall as I needed the lab. I was planning on taking the entire year, but most PA schools don't require it. While that is the case, I may be in a situation where my prerequisite courses are expiring. This is a great concern of mine. So I may need to RE-TAKE classes now, which is unfortunate as I already have undergraduate debt.
I feel I'm in a pretty good position now at the college as I'm one of the only two science tutors at my local college. I'm tutoring Anatomy, Physiology, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. I'm also currently enrolled in a training course for EMT-Basic. I'm hoping to get experience serving with the local ambulance company. I believe I will THRIVE in this role as I'm doing very well in the program and am good at working with people.
The reasons why I believe PA is a better career route
1) The length of training. I'm 35 now. From what I've read as well, Medical School is like a long-dark tunnel where life can't begin until you're really out of it all. While the same might be true for PA school, I'd be in a better position to start a family in my late thirties as opposed to early to mid forties (yes I know it's late). I'm not opposed to intense training that requires sacrifice. I believe I would thrive in that environment ultimately.
2) The low job satisfaction level of primary care physicians coupled with the relatively high rate of job satisfaction for PAs. Even if I pursue the DO degree, there is a lot of dissatisfied doctors working in primary care. I get concerned that I might get "stuck" in a specialty that I don't really have a passion for. Interesting with a nutrition degree you might think my interest is primary care. Actually I believe my passion is going to lie with Emergency Medicine.
3) While I love learning about how I can help others medically and Medicine, I want to fulfill other goals in life as well (hobbies, etc). I like to compose music.. It's a passion of mine. From what I understand, to be a Doctor though, you pretty much have to sacrifice all of that. Some don't even have time for a family. That's just not my personality. I believe relationships are a huge part of life. I believe as a Doctor, I'd feel isolated and alone. Sadly from what I see, this can be a trend which ultimately has resulted in a relatively high suicide rate among Doctors. I guess they don't feel they have anywhere else to go. I value family. Ultimately everything I do at work would be to support them, but I'd need (as well as I think everyone needs) to be able to have time with them.
There are more reasons, but for the sake of brevity I won't bother right now with them. As for stats, I'm a 3.69 GPA cum, 3.95 last 60 cr (which are mostly science courses). So my stats look decent from what I've been told by others.
My problem is that it has been a while, which I'm looking to remedy. I need to demonstrate that I still got it to the Admissions committee ultimately. I know I would succeed in the program ultimately due to my drive to succeed.
Thank you for any advise, input, conversation, etc. I encourage any advise, criticism, etc. I believe my life experience would make me a great PA, and I'd be fine working in primary care in that role.
I'm a bit concerned about how long ago I graduated, expiration of prerequisites, and/or even if this is a viable goal for me. I do feel strong in the subject areas as I'm currently tutoring the subjects and am a very independent learner.
So I'm 35 years old, have a bachelor's degree in Nutrition Science (grad 2007), have taken a number of prereqs past that 2007-2009 for at the time Physical Therapy School. Took a couple years off to help my grandmother who had some health issues at the time to help keep her out to the nursing home. Ended up getting a career job working as a food service manager which I found spiritually empty and draining with no purpose.
Just this year around March, I decided to get back into school with a goal to pursue medicine. The problem I have ultimately isn't really as much the time commitment, but I believe I'm a better fit in a role of a Physician Assistant than that of a Doctor. I believe it fits my personality as well.
I ended up enrolling in Organic Chemistry for this fall as I needed the lab. I was planning on taking the entire year, but most PA schools don't require it. While that is the case, I may be in a situation where my prerequisite courses are expiring. This is a great concern of mine. So I may need to RE-TAKE classes now, which is unfortunate as I already have undergraduate debt.
I feel I'm in a pretty good position now at the college as I'm one of the only two science tutors at my local college. I'm tutoring Anatomy, Physiology, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. I'm also currently enrolled in a training course for EMT-Basic. I'm hoping to get experience serving with the local ambulance company. I believe I will THRIVE in this role as I'm doing very well in the program and am good at working with people.
The reasons why I believe PA is a better career route
1) The length of training. I'm 35 now. From what I've read as well, Medical School is like a long-dark tunnel where life can't begin until you're really out of it all. While the same might be true for PA school, I'd be in a better position to start a family in my late thirties as opposed to early to mid forties (yes I know it's late). I'm not opposed to intense training that requires sacrifice. I believe I would thrive in that environment ultimately.
2) The low job satisfaction level of primary care physicians coupled with the relatively high rate of job satisfaction for PAs. Even if I pursue the DO degree, there is a lot of dissatisfied doctors working in primary care. I get concerned that I might get "stuck" in a specialty that I don't really have a passion for. Interesting with a nutrition degree you might think my interest is primary care. Actually I believe my passion is going to lie with Emergency Medicine.
3) While I love learning about how I can help others medically and Medicine, I want to fulfill other goals in life as well (hobbies, etc). I like to compose music.. It's a passion of mine. From what I understand, to be a Doctor though, you pretty much have to sacrifice all of that. Some don't even have time for a family. That's just not my personality. I believe relationships are a huge part of life. I believe as a Doctor, I'd feel isolated and alone. Sadly from what I see, this can be a trend which ultimately has resulted in a relatively high suicide rate among Doctors. I guess they don't feel they have anywhere else to go. I value family. Ultimately everything I do at work would be to support them, but I'd need (as well as I think everyone needs) to be able to have time with them.
There are more reasons, but for the sake of brevity I won't bother right now with them. As for stats, I'm a 3.69 GPA cum, 3.95 last 60 cr (which are mostly science courses). So my stats look decent from what I've been told by others.
My problem is that it has been a while, which I'm looking to remedy. I need to demonstrate that I still got it to the Admissions committee ultimately. I know I would succeed in the program ultimately due to my drive to succeed.
Thank you for any advise, input, conversation, etc. I encourage any advise, criticism, etc. I believe my life experience would make me a great PA, and I'd be fine working in primary care in that role.
I'm a bit concerned about how long ago I graduated, expiration of prerequisites, and/or even if this is a viable goal for me. I do feel strong in the subject areas as I'm currently tutoring the subjects and am a very independent learner.
Last edited: