Curricula Vitae Resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How long was your CV when you applied for residency?

• 1 page

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • 2 pages

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 3 pages

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • 4 pages

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 5 pages

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 6+ pages

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I am looking for good resources (online or print) where I can get some help writing a CV.

Im looking for ideas on format, style and also how detailed I should get.

Also, if anyone has any general advice it would be appreciated.

Also, how long was YOUR CV when you applied for a residency? Just curious!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thought first aid for the match was ok.

Mine was 2 pages.

But actually I never handed out a single copy on the trail.

Because they already had my eras generated one.

So the ERAS one is pretty much the same content as your hardcopy CV?

What categories did ERAS have you fill in ?

Thanks!

JPHazelton said:
So the ERAS one is pretty much the same content as your hardcopy CV?

What categories did ERAS have you fill in ?

Thanks!

It's all here.

Page One - General Information
Page Two - Education
Page Three - Medical Education
Page Four - Previous Residency/Fellowship
Page Five - Experience
Page Six - Publications
Page Seven - Exams
Page Eight - Licensure Information
Page Nine - State Medical Licenses
Page Ten - Race
Page Eleven - Ethnicity
Page Twelve - Miscellaneous Information

OK, nevermind I see what you are getting at.

I have a question.....for a CV, is it acceptable to list articles that are being worked or otherwise indicate that you are conducting research if there have been no publications as a result yet? If so, how is this done?

DropkickMurphy said:

I have a question.....for a CV, is it acceptable to list articles that are being worked or otherwise indicate that you are conducting research if there have been no publications as a result yet? If so, how is this done?
I've seen items in progress on CVs being listed as 'In Press,' instead of a date presented, submitted, etc.

DropkickMurphy said:

A manuscript which has been submitted AND accepted for publication is deemed "In press". This is pretty common, and is appropriate for citation in articles, inclusion in one's CV (Under "Publications"), etc.

Until the manuscript is "In press", however, I would NOT include it on a professional CV, and would similarly not list it as a "Publication" in any CV. For residency apps, I seem to recall ERAS has a section of "Research Experience", which would likely be OK for that purpose.

G'ville Nole said:
A manuscript which has been submitted AND accepted for publication is deemed "In press". This is pretty common, and is appropriate for citation in articles, inclusion in one's CV (Under "Publications"), etc.

Until the manuscript is "In press", however, I would NOT include it on a professional CV, and would similarly not list it as a "Publication" in any CV. For residency apps, I seem to recall ERAS has a section of "Research Experience", which would likely be OK for that purpose.
I misinterpreted the use of 'In Press.' I'll change things around. It's not on AAMC, but I have used a "Current Projects" heading before without trouble. Thanks!

There's a book by James Tysinger, PhD on personal statements and CVs - a pretty quick read with some good ideas and several examples. I would check the library at your school - they would likely have a copy.

Im putting together my CV for residency and external rotations and was wondering what people thought about including undergraduate honors, etc.

I assume that it doesnt belong and that undergrad should be mentioned only for your major and minor, but I have classmates who insist that every scholarship, volunteer project, and sorority activity coordinator-like title should be included.

What do you all think?

You assume correctly.

Your classmates will find that the PDs who peruse these applications will not be that impressed by "Social Coordinator- Pi Lambda hayride" (my apologies to those who WERE social coordinator for hayride; I know it's a crucially important function). Brief mention of "cum laude", honor societies like Phi Beta Kappa MIGHT be OK.

The main focus should be on achievements IN medical school. Similarly, once in residency, you will roll nearly all of your med school achievements off the bottom of the CV, and focus on your accomplishments in residency. That's just how it goes.

The ERAS generated CV does not highlight aspects of your CV that I wanted to be highlighted, so I handed it out to everyone...and almost everyone spent a min or 2 looking at it before asking questions.

A nice looking CV just highlights your experience/background/education