Curriculum at your school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO 2 be

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what other schools' curriculum is like. Ours is pretty busy. We have no free first summer like most schools. This second quarter of first year, we are studying Neuroanatomy, 1st qtr of Biochemistry, Embryology, OTM and "The Complete DO" (where we learn to do complete H&P). Next quarter = 2nd qtr of Biochemistry, Medical Microbiology, Physiology, OTM. We will study Pathology in the summer.
MS1 KCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Looking through the catalogue, our cirriculum during the 1st semester is biochem, embryology, gross anatomy, histology, microbiology, OPP, pathology, pharmacology, physiology. Our 2nd semester is OPP, ICM, dermal system/gross anatomy, neurology, musculoskeletal system. Luckily we have a full 2-3 months of vacation after the 1st year, then we study a systems-based cirriculum for the entire second year. You KCOM guys probably get a reduced courseload during the summer, or else they may be trying to burn you guys out!

EDGAR
Soon to be MS-I
Western University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (COMP)

Wow, your schedule seems heavy. We are on a 4-quarter system, with the first year = clinical basic sciences and second year = clinical sciences (surgery, dermatology, ...). Each quarter we got about ~270-300 hours worth of work. Yeah, we hope they don't burn us out in the summer. Pathology will be the main course in the summer. We also study Nutrition as well. ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still in the process of deciding KCOM or COMP (if accepted).

But, KCOMs curriculum is hard core. I figured out that you get 12 weeks off in the first 2 years at KCOM vs summmer, winter, and other vacation time at COMP. COMP has the 'systems approach' concept while KCOM does not. KCOM has the summer session while COMP seems to encourage students to do something medically productive with their summers. One COMP student I met went to Spain for the summer and worked with cadavers with much more ease and free time than he would have been able to here.

I am pushed to the statistics when I think about the curriculum differences. KCOM- 12 weeks off ( I may be off) in 2 years and an above 90% board passing rate vs COMP- much more than 12 weeks off and a board passing rate below 90%. KCOM embraces technology as a teaching tool (smart boards, and motto 'High tech, high touch') while I am unsure if COMP requires incoming students to purchase laptops. KCOM students get e-mail addresses with an @KCOM.EDU while COMP students do not ( I believe most go @POL.NET). KCOM I do not believe has a reduced summer workload as well. I am curious if KCOM (being over a 100 years old) has always had this curriculum and it is some creation of a classical model of education. The sytems approach is the product of modern allopathic educational trends.

All in all I think that the education is what you make of it and the choice of school should be influenced by lifestlye factors and geography.

I am curious to hear if other people have thought about the significance of the things I have pointed out.

------------------

No kidding about COMP, eh? When I visited there I was amazed at what they make you do your first semester. Most of the other programs do not combine all of those courses into the first semester like COMP does. Pretty darn intense.

Good luck Edgar. I'll be cheering for ya.

sig1.gif

Guys,

Yowsers! I didn't even think the 1st year cirriculum was that bad until I got your responses. My impression is that even though the 1st semester coursework seems very heavy, they might be quickie reviews of the most essential information. I get the impression that with the systems-based cirriculum, you review a lot of the basic sciences over again and so this hopefully fosters better retention. Comparing KCOM and COMP, I also get the impression that KCOM has a classical approach to medical education whereas COMP has a more modern approach. California also has one of the most stringent medical licensing laws in the country, and so it makes sense that COMP is probably more allopathically-influenced than other osteopathic medical schools. And I have also been impressed by the high board scores of KCOM graduates, although COMP grads have also secured very high profile allopathic and osteopathic residencies.

Lastly, I agree with Cliff that lifestyle factors play a huge role in choosing a medical college. I loved UHS' facilities and reputation, but having such a non-structured approach to the 3rd and 4th year rotations turned me off. COMP was the natural choice for me because I was wait-listed at UHS, and Kansas City couldn't compare to the cultural diversity and big-city excitement of the Los Angeles area. Plus, I plan to do an allopathic residency at UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCLA, or UCSD after an osteopathic internship, and so I figured my geographic proximity to these programs would be helpful during my elective rotations.

In sum, a very wise doctor friend of mine says that it really doesn't matter where you to medical school, as long as it is AOA or AMA-accredited. Work your butt off and score high on your boards, and you should be able to get a good residency and job afterwards.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious guys, now I am going to start having those nightmares about medical school again!

EDGAR

P.S. Gregory, would you have chosen AZCOM over COMP if NSUCOM had rejected you?

KCOM is in the middle of changing the curriculum as outlined in the latest Interkcom. The curriculum is somewhat of a systems based approach. They plan on expanding the time spent in anatomy so this information will be cross-correlated with OTM, histology, embryology, and clinical examination. For example, as you study the thorax and its contents in anatomy. You will also be studying the histology of it, how it is formed embryologically, OTM examination and treatment of, and how to do a complete examination of this area for an H&P. KCOM also sends all MS1s on a two week preceptorship in the summer. This two weeks is spent with a doctor somewhere in Missouri. So we do have medically productive summers.

Are there any students who can comment on the schedules of CCOM? I read through the catalog but was just looking for any additional info.
Thanks, Danny

It isn't really productive to look at what courses are taken in what order because each school breaks it down differently. To compare schools look at the total number of contact hours a year for year one and two. I think you will find that all the schools come out at about 800-900 hours a year for MS 1 and MS 2. This is divided into semesters, quarters, trimesters, whole years, whatever. Students get so caught up in the minutiae of medical schools becaue they want to feel like they are basing the choice on something concrete; however, success in school is about 90% student and about 10% school. The best way to choose is to decide where you will be happiest and where you want to live.

I agree. Success is mostly due to how much effort you put into it. COMP at the time of my visit hasn't put in place the videotaping facilities whereas KCOM already has them. KCOM classrooms and study areas are all wired and the classrooms are the most hi-tech I've ever seen, including those at my former undergrad univ. (a big one). People are very nice and I in the end chose KCOM and don't have any regret (except for the cold weather but it's not that bad, considering I'm from Calif). It's a personal one however. You chose what's best for you however.

I am excited about the current proposed curriculum change. It's part of KCOM's move towards a problem-based curriculum as the COMLEX is so. But I wouldn't go completely towards a PB curriculum. 60/40 would be great. You still need a solid background in every subject though. Just my $0.02

To JackDOe

Sorry if you thought I was saying KCOM students do not have productive summers. I did not have that intention.

Cliff,

Don't sweat it, I'm just keeping potential applicants informed. No offense taken.

I have recently chosen to accept KCOM. The focus on using current technology and the history of high board scores won me over. I am worried about the lottery system they use for placement into 3rd and 4th years though. Can anyone out there comment on their experiences with this?

I'm also headed for KCOM next year. Check out their message board for help and experiences.
www.kcom-sga.threadnet.com/cgi_bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

I am curious.

Here is a question for the entering KCOM people. Which schools did you choose KCOM over and why? Any responses would be sincerely and honestly appreciated.

At this moment, I am very happily going to KCOM in August. But, if accepted to school locally (COMP), I am afraid of the decision I will then have to make.

I dig going to a school where I percieve 'the future movers and shakers' of the profession have gone, but am enthralled with incredible connections COMP has with the Californian med schools. I am ......just a little ..unsure..

To Cliff,
Choosing a medical school is as personal and individual a decision as one will ever make. I interviewed and was accepted to AZCOM, UHS-COM, UOMHS, COMP and KCOM and chose KCOM. I believe that we will get from any med. school what we put into it. Each of these schools has good points and bad, however, they will all provide the opportunity for an incredible education as well as advancement in the medical field as a post graduate. Don't worry so much how one school compares to another. Your biggest challenge will be doing well in school and being happy where you are. Good luck.