Ultrasound in Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conor Davenport

Reaction score
Hey all,

trying to get a gauge for how US is used in your curriculum. In particular do you have a POCUS or similar US interest group? What sort of US devices have you been exposed to, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Almost none. I'm doing an awesome elective with a rheumatologist that uses it, but otherwise there's been no exposure. My school does offer a local elective in US though, but if you're not at that core site then it's not convenient to sign up for.

We had an US curriculum at my school during preclinical. Honestly, it could have been cool, but it was just always inconvenient.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school has had an ultrasound lab then offered some sessions outside of lab. Mostly POCUS, FAST Scans, using the different probes and how to orient and read what you're looking at.

We have US integrated into our gross anatomy curriculum. We go to lab every couple of weeks to scan, and have US practicals along with our anatomy lab practicals during 1st year. During 2nd year we do some US during our blocks and the USIG acts as tutors for the 1st years when they’re learning US.

So far we’ve learned MSK (shoulder, knee, dvt, ankle, carpal tunnel, cubital fossa), GI (gallbladder, liver, spleen, aorta, iliacs), renal (kidneys & bladder), GU (uterus, ovaries), cardiac (all the basic heart views & lungs, IVC) and Neuro/head & neck (thyroid, eye, internal jugular, external carotid).

We have the bigger machines on carts, Clarius handheld machines (my personal favorite), and a couple of butterflies.

Last edited by a moderator: