Does your OMS I and II curriculum involve Step 2/Level 2 material?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1129181

Hello everyone! Current OMS II here. I’ve noticed that our school has a lot of clinical oriented lectures during OMS I and II. And often times on our exams we are expected to know very clinical material (e.g. indications for pelvic ultrasound vs MRI, managing adrenal disorders with medications vs surgery, cancer staging, etc). Little to none of this has shown up on the Step 1 question banks I have been working with (admittedly I haven’t started UWORLD yet, but going to next week). And furthermore, my third and fourth year friends have said that the school packs in a lot of Step 2 material during the first two years. I was just wondering whether this is typical for other DO schools as well?

Members don't see this ad.

My school was very heavy into step 2 and clinical material in the first two years.Got really annoying because we’d sometimes learn step 2 stuff and then 2 weeks later learn the step 1 stuff. N= a few, but generally this doesn’t seem to happen at MD programs allowing for my limited sample size.

Super sucks right now. But when there’s essentially zero direction in third year, it is a little helpful to know this stuff. Or at least having enough familiarity to know where to direct your studying.

Reactions: 1 users
My school does this too...I get tired of spending hours watching BnB, Sketchy, Pathoma & doing anki cards to try and cover boards material for COMLEX only to get an exam question that asks "What's the next step in managing this patient?". Hopefully this will pay off next year in rotations though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school does this too...I get tired of spending hours watching BnB, Sketchy, Pathoma & doing anki cards to try and cover boards material for COMLEX only to get an exam question that asks "What's the next step in managing this patient?". Hopefully this will pay off next year in rotations though.
It will. You’ll still have to study, but it’ll come back very fast instead of learning it for the first time. With so much riding on step 2, that’s huge.

Reactions: 1 user
It will. You’ll still have to study, but it’ll come back very fast instead of learning it for the first time. With so much riding on step 2, that’s huge.
Thank you for saying this. I’m in that burnt out ‘will this ever end, I can’t sustain this pace’ part of 2nd year, plus my school has been throwing some roadblocks in our path lately, so it was nice to hear that it’s beneficial in the end.