CUSM MBS 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long did it take for you to hear back? Can you share a little bit about your stats and extracurriculars? Just want to know if I’m competitive enough for this lol

It took about a month or so for me to hear back I think. I applied relatively early. My undergrad GPA was in between 3.0-3.25 (im assuming that’s similar to a lot of applicants!). No reported test score because the program didn’t require one. I’ve done a lot of run of the mill pre-med extracurriculars. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@luluburger Since the deadline isnt until May 31st... do you think its possible to still get accepted later in May or does the class usually fill up by then? :(

Unfortunately I’m not sure logistically how admissions work :/. I’d recommend giving a call to the admissions office or emailing someone from admissions! I do know, however, that this program is rolling admission.

Unfortunately I’m not sure logistically how admissions work :/. I’d recommend giving a call to the admissions office or emailing someone from admissions! I do know, however, that this program is rolling admission.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so excited, just got accepted here!

Congrats on your acceptance! When did you submit everything? They don't accept FAFSA from what I can tell.

Thanks! I submitted everything last Thursday

no interviews lol

A few questions for you (or anyone else who got accepted):

1. What is the "additional comments section" intended for under the section where we add our degree information?

2. In the section that asks you to check any of the following that apply: the box that says "academic enrichment prog" -- do you know what that refers to?

3. In the section for activity/experience descriptions, did you simply list the names/ hours completed for the activities, or did you actually add descriptions about what your role was in each activity and why it was meaningful to you?

A few questions for you (or anyone else who got accepted):

1. What is the "additional comments section" intended for under the section where we add our degree information?

2. In the section that asks you to check any of the following that apply: the box that says "academic enrichment prog" -- do you know what that refers to?

3. In the section for activity/experience descriptions, did you simply list the names/ hours completed for the activities, or did you actually add descriptions about what your role was in each activity and why it was meaningful to you?

To be honest I dont even remember question 1 and 2. Just do your best I guess. For question three I just listed, no descriptions. Just send them your CV like mentioned earlier. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!
I just got accepted this evening and it totally caught me off guard because I applied to the program just for the hell of it when I saw the link to the application in my email from a recruiter system lmao. I have 5 days to accept, but I was wondering if any past students can chime in and give their input on whether or not it is worth it, and the quality of education and outcomes (I'm a Texas resident btw). Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone who got accepted provide any tips for the CV/Resume? Did you frame your activity descriptions the same way you would a work/activities section in AMCAS (describe why each activity was meaningful to you), or did you keep it more brief?

Did you also include a cover letter?

Can anyone who got accepted provide any tips for the CV/Resume? Did you frame your activity descriptions the same way you would a work/activities section in AMCAS (describe why each activity was meaningful to you), or did you keep it more brief?

Did you also include a cover letter?

I filled out the application in February so the details are a little hazy, but from what I remember, I phrased my resume how I would as if I was applying to a job. In fact, it was the same resume I used to apply to jobs! I have gotten previous feedback from a professor about my resume to include accomplishments/meaningful words (it was brief, albeit) in addition to basic descriptions of my role in the position, so I had both. I did not include a cover letter. I have never looked at AMCAS therefore am unfamiliar with that app (but I'll get very familiar next June when I apply).

Hey @jazzmetal ! I am a prospective MBS applicant. I had a question about the workload-- do you think it's doable to balance a part-time job (~15 hours a week) with the heavy course load if I constantly stay on top of my studies? I am also freshly out of my MCAT studies so I have at least a bare-bones background on the class material. I know it will be tough, but is it possible? or is there literally no time for anything other than studying?

Also, I'm curious about what you meant by conditional acceptances vs those who "applied fresh." Do you mean that some students began the MBS program already being told they would be accepted if they could maintain a strong GPA/MCAT/activities? What do you mean by students who "applied fresh"?

Hi there! I am about to graduate from the MBS program, so I can answer that for you. I worked between 16-20 hours per week and was able to maintain good grades in the program. The majority of students chose to not work during the program and I don't blame them. It ultimately comes down to your time management skills and your background on the topics. I know of a couple of students who worked 30-36 hours per week and were still pulling it off. It is a heavy course load, 8 courses per semester, but it is more than doable. I hope that helps.

Also, in regard to your second question. The first MBS class had a few students who were waitlisted from the MD program and were offered conditional acceptance to the MD program as long as they completed the MBS program with a decent GPA (3.5 or 3.7, can't remember which). For the Class of 2020, no such conditional acceptances existed. The other students, which did not have a conditional acceptance, had to apply and were then selected from.

Congrats to you too! I know for other SMPs previous students, admin, or faculty have made the Facebook page to ensure they’re letting in accepted students, so not sure I’d want to be the one to make it right now. But we’ll see if it’s not made in a month or so:happy:

For those asking for a FaceBook page, the link should be coming to you guys shortly directly from the program director.

@luluburger Since the deadline isn't until May 31st... do you think it's possible to still get accepted later in May or does the class usually fill up by then? :(

There were multiple students accepted after May 31st last year. Do not lose hope. I know of a couple of students who were accepted days before the program began. Best of luck to you!

For any other questions, feel free to reach out.

Hi there! I am about to graduate from the MBS program, so I can answer that for you. I worked between 16-20 hours per week and was able to maintain good grades in the program. The majority of students chose to not work during the program and I don't blame them. It ultimately comes down to your time management skills and your background on the topics. I know of a couple of students who worked 30-36 hours per week and were still pulling it off. It is a heavy course load, 8 courses per semester, but it is more than doable. I hope that helps.

Also, in regard to your second question. The first MBS class had a few students who were waitlisted from the MD program and were offered conditional acceptance to the MD program as long as they completed the MBS program with a decent GPA (3.5 or 3.7, can't remember which). For the Class of 2020, no such conditional acceptances existed. The other students, which did not have a conditional acceptance, had to apply and were then selected from.

For those asking for a FaceBook page, the link should be coming to you guys shortly directly from the program director.

There were multiple students accepted after May 31st last year. Do not lose hope. I know of a couple of students who were accepted days before the program began. Best of luck to you!

Thank you sooo much for this. It gives me some hope. Trying my best to stay positive. Thanks so everyone on here for being so helpful and answering questions!

Hey @jazzmetal ! I am a prospective MBS applicant. I had a question about the workload-- do you think it's doable to balance a part-time job (~15 hours a week) with the heavy course load if I constantly stay on top of my studies? I am also freshly out of my MCAT studies so I have at least a bare bones background on the class material. I know it will be tough, but is it possible? or is there literally no time for anything other than studying?

Also, I'm curious about what you meant by conditional acceptances vs those who "applied fresh." Do you mean that some students began the MBS program already being told they would be accepted if they could maintain a strong GPA/MCAT/activities? What do you mean by students who "applied fresh"?
Hi! Sorry for the delay in replying. The conditional acceptance thing was a one-time offer for the first MBS class only, made up of students who had applied to the MD the year before and got waitlisted. If we graduated with a 3.5+, we got into the next year's MD class automatically. "Applied fresh" meant anyone else from our class who applied that year.

I personally could not have worked 15 hours every week, but I did some work projects here and there. My roommate worked 5-10 hrs and did great; another classmate actually worked full time plus commuted from LA every day. Crazy! lol. She said she had a lot of downtime at work, but still. I suspect her grades did suffer a bit, but I don't know for sure.

I also don't know for sure how the current MBS workload compares to our year, but anecdotally, it's gotten more sane.

Could you try it out and see how it goes for the first month or so? If you're falling behind after 3-4 weeks, then you'd have your answer and still have enough time to catch up before finals. That's one nice thing about having so many quizzes/midterms/assignments is that you're building your grades in small bites. Tanking one/a few assignments doesn't destroy you.

If you couldn't afford to go without keeping 15 hrs/week of income, then you'd just have to be prepared to be extremely focused and probably pretty tired for the next nine months.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that @SR71BLK had already answered. :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I just got accepted this evening and it totally caught me off guard because I applied to the program just for the hell of it when I saw the link to the application in my email from a recruiter system lmao. I have 5 days to accept, but I was wondering if any past students can chime in and give their input on whether or not it is worth it, and the quality of education and outcomes (I'm a Texas resident btw). Thanks in advance!
Congrats! I was in the first MBS class and am now finishing M1, also at CUSM. I learned a ton. I draw on it every day in med school. Two classmates who are now in different MD programs say the same.

Congrats! I was in the first MBS class and am now finishing M1, also at CUSM. I learned a ton. I draw on it every day in med school. Two classmates who are now in different MD programs say the same.

That's great to hear! I guess I'm a little hesitant because there isn't much data (from what I've found) that talks about how many students got into CUSM's med school. Do you know how many students from the program eventually ended up going to CUSM med school?

That's great to hear! I guess I'm a little hesitant because there isn't much data (from what I've found) that talks about how many students got into CUSM's med school. Do you know how many students from the program eventually ended up going to CUSM med school?
Yeah, there's not much data because the school is still so new. From my class (the first class), we had 33 students of whom 16 applied and 12 got in. The current cycle isn't done yet, but I think so far about 75% of those who applied have been accepted and the rest are on the waitlist. I don't think a huge portion of this year's class applied this cycle - maybe 10-12 out of 45 students or so? Maybe someone from this year's class can help me out with the stats.

Yeah, there's not much data because the school is still so new. From my class (the first class), we had 33 students of whom 16 applied and 12 got in. The current cycle isn't done yet, but I think so far about 75% of those who applied have been accepted and the rest are on the waitlist. I don't think a huge portion of this year's class applied this cycle - maybe 10-12 out of 45 students or so? Maybe someone from this year's class can help me out with the stats.

I am aware of 11 students who applied, out of 47 (nearly 1/4th of our class). Of those 11, 7 have already been accepted, and at least 3 others are waitlisted. I am not sure about the last student. The acceptance rate was much higher than any of us anticipated, but we are grateful for it! The average MBS GPA was also pretty high ~3.7 for the first semester. Keep in mind that as the program continues to develop, they will likely add more students to future MBS classes, and that may create more demand for spots in the MD program since there will also be a backlog of students applying from previous MBS classes. They also give special consideration to students from the IE, students from low SES backgrounds (as defined by AAMC), and to individuals with URM backgrounds.

Having said that, if your issue is a poor MCAT score, then it is much cheaper to study for and retake the MCAT, rather than spending a year in the MBS program. Many students had decent enough uGPA's that they would've made it in if they were able to score better on the MCAT alone.

@jazzmetal and @SR71BLK thank you both for your responses! That's great to hear that the workload is manageable with at least a part-time schedule. So I guess if I get accepted, I will have to manage my time really well

Last edited:
Sorry guys I have another CV/activities question! Did you guys list ALL employment history, or limit it to more relevant experiences? For example if I held a part-time server job in college, do you think I should include this in the application + CV?

Last edited:
Sorry guys I have another CV/activities question! Did you guys list ALL employment history, or limit it to more relevant experiences? For example if I held a part-time server job at an ice cream shop in college, do you think I should include this in the application + CV?
I included everything.

Planning to withdraw my acceptance. I got pulled off the waitlist to med school. If anyone is planning to retake the MCAT, I bought the self pace kaplan course and you can still reset everything. I haven’t even touched the AAMC official practice exams. If u know anyone interested let me know.

Does any one know if our MCAT scores are automatically reported to MBS admissions, or do we have to somehow send scores?

@6744 congrats on your acceptance!!!

Planning to withdraw my acceptance. I got pulled off the waitlist to med school. If anyone is planning to retake the MCAT, I bought the self pace kaplan course and you can still reset everything. I haven’t even touched the AAMC official practice exams. If u know anyone interested let me know.
Congratulations!!!

Does any one know if our MCAT scores are automatically reported to MBS admissions, or do we have to somehow send scores?

@6744 congrats on your acceptance!!!
I'm pretty sure I emailed them my score report with the verification code.

I clicked on the Facebook add link they sent through email, seems like it just gives you an option to email back to them. Is it just not working for me if I’m doing something wrong. Did someone add yet?

I clicked on the Facebook add link they sent through email, seems like it just gives you an option to email back to them. Is it just not working for me if I’m doing something wrong. Did someone add yet?
I haven't received it yet. Did you receive the email today?

The way it worked for me is to right click the link and just click the copy email address option. Then paste it into the web browser. There was probably some weird coding when they embedded the link in the email.

The way it worked for me is to right click the link and just click the copy email address option. Then paste it into the web browser. There was probably some weird coding when they embedded the link in the email.
If anyone needs help accessing the FaceBook page, please message me and I will manually add you to the group.

So I’m assuming they still haven’t decided if we will have online classes or in person? Cal-states have gone online for fall 2020 as well

So I’m assuming they still haven’t decided if we will have online classes or in person? Cal-states have gone online for fall 2020 as well
Yea they haven't decided yet. I emailed them about a week ago asking their plans for this fall and they said it's still in discussion. I also asked when we could possibly hear back regarding their decision and they didn't really give me a clear answer. I don't blame them, but it would be nice if they told us by next month so that we don't have to switch our plans in the middle of house/ apartment hunting

Yea they haven't decided yet. I emailed them about a week ago asking their plans for this fall and they said it's still in discussion. I also asked when we could possibly hear back regarding their decision and they didn't really give me a clear answer. I don't blame them, but it would be nice if they told us by next month so that we don't have to switch our plans in the middle of house/ apartment hunting
Hi @sfa59 - are you still waiting for a decision from CUSM too?

I was accepted about a week and a half ago :)
Aw! Congrats! I'm still waiting but at this point kinda gave up having hope lol >.< but i'm waiting on a couple of schools so I understand how everything is backed up rn.

Yeah I don’t know if it’ll be worth it to have it online but I also plan on living nearby so it’ll be nice to know if we need to apply for housing already or not

Anyone potentially thinking of moving near the school needing a roommate please message me.

Aw! Congrats! I'm still waiting but at this point kinda gave up having hope lol >.< but i'm waiting on a couple of schools so I understand how everything is backed up rn.
Thank you! I think you might hear back soon, I attended an online info session on May 7th and the admissions coordinator said they've only accepted about a quarter of their class. Their max enrollment is 60, so based on that I want to say they've accepted about 15 people thus far.

My application has just been completed - got the email today.

It seems people are hearing back 2 weeks to a month? Are they doing without interviews this year? It appears last year that almost everyone got an interview - sometimes within 2/3 days. Obviously with COVID-19, things might be delayed a bit.
No interviews this year.

Is it too late to apply to the MBS program?

Not too late! I applied 2ish weeks ago and was accepted today :') Thanks to all the real ones on this thread who answered my annoying application questions :lol:

Last edited:
Congrats! Did you have both of your recommenders submit their letters of rec on time? I submitted my app today and will have 1 recommendation submitted this week but having a hard time getting a hold of my 2nd recommender. Do you know if they make decisions without a letter of rec?