CUSOM (Colorado) vs. UVM (Vermont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trillianMcMillan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My decision is 90% made, just having doubts. CU feels like the obvious choice, I just have some hesitations about its new curriculum, and UVM seems like it better supports student wellbeing. Not sure if these hesitations are serious enough to consider paying $80k more + moving to a new state.

Colorado
Pros
  • Significantly cheaper ($43k/yr vs $64k/yr)
  • Strong support network
  • Weather, outdoor environment are ideal
  • Easier for SO to stay here, and we both prefer to live here
  • Very strong match list
  • Excellent research opportunities in my major interest area + many other areas
  • Clinical options at multiple major hospitals, see a variety of populations
  • Students here seem chill, culture collaborative rather than competitive
  • 1yr preclinical has some advantages, get preclinical out of the way quickly
  • Mandatory lectures are kind of a pro for me, I do well with structure, and would be able to live close to campus
  • Could establish connections in Colorado for future jobs

Cons
  • Guinea pig for new curriculum
  • 1yr preclinical could feel rushed, worried I'll struggle more to keep up with the pace
  • Clerkship sites chosen basically by lottery, so you could end up having to move and spend entire 2nd year clerkship in a distant suburb of denver. Most people will end up in major hospitals, but can't rule out the possibility you'll get your last pick.
  • LIC clerkships. switching back and forth between specialties daily could be not-ideal. But there's some evidence it's a good learning model, could end up liking it
  • Step 1 & 2 taken within a few months of each other in year 3 (right after some advanced science classes). May have some benefits, but it seems like a downside to take Step1 >1 year after preclinicals?
  • Have heard mixed things about IPED (interprofessional education) classes
  • Polarized opinions. seems like most students are happy here, but a few are very unhappy (see Reddit thread from last year)
  • Sounds like their Public Health programs (which I'm interested in) are kind of up-in-the-air because of curriculum transition

Vermont
Pros
  • Seems like a better place to be a med student. small-school culture, admin's super supportive, med students I've talked to seem to love it here. Laid back atmosphere for an east coast school.
  • 1.5yr preclinical seems like the best of both worlds, short but not rushed
  • Traditional block-style clinicals better tested
  • Small classroom and PBL structure are pluses
  • Vermont seems like a great place to be. proximity to nature and friendly small-town culture
  • Public Health project built into curriculum, also options for research projects
Cons
  • Expensive: >$20k/year more
  • Requires me and my partner to move (she works remotely and is supportive of whatever I decide, but would really prefer to stay here)
  • Far from family, friends
  • Very cold and snowy
  • Smaller hospital system, not as much access to variety of clinical sites and diverse population
  • Small town has some downsides. could end up feeling boring or claustrophobic
  • expensive travel, harder to get out of town to see family
  • PD ranking lower than CO, so matching may be a bit harder?

Summary: For practical reasons I should & want to go to my state school, but having some hesitations about the new curriculum and school culture.

(edited for clarity, anonymity)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
$80k saved, proximity to your support network, more sun and a happier SO are hard to pass up.

Reactions: 1 users
It sounds as though you are listing all the practical reasons to choose CO but would really like to go to VT.
Have you been able to visit VT?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
CO is my home state and I'm currently living in New England. I LOVE Vermont, and it felt the most like Colorado of any place I've visited since moving out here. But I did not even apply to UofV because of the very high debt burden most of their students graduate with (MSAR says avg is $400k+). Colorado seems like the clear choice for you as well (and I'm on the CU waitlist, so I get no perks from encouraging you in that direction).

That said, I personally am already very seriously looking at residency programs in Vermont. I really do think I would like it there if I returned to the East Coast after school. There's always away rotation opportunities too.

It sounds as though you are listing all the practical reasons to choose CO but would really like to go to VT.
Have you been able to visit VT?
I haven't - considering going to second-look day, just not sure if I can get time off work. I have lived in a northeastern small town, so I have a sense of what to expect in some ways.
Neither school's given me a financial aid package yet -- would it be too early to call UVM and express that I love the school, but the difference in debt burden is what's holding me back?

CO is my home state and I'm currently living in New England. I LOVE Vermont, and it felt the most like Colorado of any place I've visited since moving out here. But I did not even apply to UofV because of the very high debt burden most of their students graduate with (MSAR says avg is $400k+). Colorado seems like the clear choice for you as well (and I'm on the CU waitlist, so I get no perks from encouraging you in that direction).

That said, I personally am already very seriously looking at residency programs in Vermont. I really do think I would like it there if I returned to the East Coast after school. There's always away rotation opportunities too.

Thank you, this is very helpful to hear. At this point I think my cold feet about CU's mostly just neurotic worrying over every unknown -- the LIC model could be ideal, and things like IPED, Step timing & LIC placement will probably be fine. The Internet Name & Shames have also really gotten in my head, but everyone I've actually met at CU has painted it in an average-to-very positive light.

I haven't - considering going to second-look day, just not sure if I can get time off work. I have lived in a northeastern small town, so I have a sense of what to expect in some ways.
Neither school's given me a financial aid package yet -- would it be too early to call UVM and express that I love the school, but the difference in debt burden is what's holding me back?
It can’t hurt to let them know. And it would also make sense to go to 2nd look day so you can make an informed decision.