CUSOM doesn't allow selective rotations at non-AOA sites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skeletor06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the CUSOM handbook, http://www.campbell.edu/cusom/images/pages/2014-2015_Academic_Bulletin.pdf

Page 70, referring to fourth year elective rotations:

"CUSOM will not approve selectives to be taken outside of the CUSOM region at a hospital where only ACGME
residencies exist or at a hospital where no residency exists. Students should not ask for an exception, as it will not be provided."

I would think that given the fact that all residencies are moving to ACGME accreditation by 2020, this would have to change at some point, if it hasn't already. If not, this may make CUSOM a less attractive option for me. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The "where only ACGME exists" is off since the merger will change this.

I do enjoy the "where no residencies exist" part because it means they don't want you doing selective at non teaching facilities.

I do enjoy the "where no residencies exist" part because it means they don't want you doing selective at non teaching facilities.

There is no reason to assume that they will not change it to "dual AOA" instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right. I wasn't making that assumption at all. I'm just saying that around 2020 they will need to rid the policy since there will be no AOA programs. Just ACGME.

Nah, there will be AOA programs. They're just required to be dually accredited.

Nah, there will be AOA programs. They're just required to be dually accredited.

I respectfully disagree.

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Pages/single-gme-accreditation-system-faq.aspx

"What is the timeline for the development of a single graduate medical accreditation system?
Between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2020, AOA-approved training programs that are AOA accredited can register for ACGME pre-accreditation status and begin application for ACGME accreditation. AOA programs are expected to complete the transition to ACGME accreditation before July 1, 2020. AOA will cease providing GME accreditation in July 2020."

The reason for this merger is to rid of this dual process.

Reactions: 1 users
I respectfully disagree.

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Pages/single-gme-accreditation-system-faq.aspx

"What is the timeline for the development of a single graduate medical accreditation system?
Between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2020, AOA-approved training programs that are AOA accredited can register for ACGME pre-accreditation status and begin application for ACGME accreditation. AOA programs are expected to complete the transition to ACGME accreditation before July 1, 2020. AOA will cease providing GME accreditation in July 2020."

The reason for this merger is to rid of this dual process.

Huh, that's interesting. Well, good riddance.

Yeah, but the merger won't fully take place until 2020. They may adjust it before that though, because I have heard rumbles from APAP and PCSP people that LECOM recently told them that they are no longer restricted to AOA programs (part of the deal with the 3yr degree) and can now apply ACGME because of the merger decision. Not sure if this is really official, but I've heard a mention of it.

The thing is, there are a good amount of places that have mostly ACGME residencies and 1-2 AOA residencies (not dual, just either parallel or completely separate), but this really depends on where you want to go. I know that in western PA/eastern OH a lot of the bigger systems have both AOA & ACGME programs.

I personally think the "where no residencies exist" rule is beneficial for students as well. 4th year is for auditions and sub-Is, so its nice that its built into the way they do things at CUSOM.

Haha no worries! Glad to clear things up!

Also, while there will not be any "AOA accredited" programs, there will still be programs that are deemed to have an "osteopathic focus", and I'm guessing they will have to get approved/certified by somebody.

Yeah, but the merger won't fully take place until 2020. They may adjust it before that though, because I have heard rumbles from APAP and PCSP people that LECOM recently told them that they are no longer restricted to AOA programs (part of the deal with the 3yr degree) and can now apply ACGME because of the merger decision. Not sure if this is really official, but I've heard a mention of it.

The thing is, there are a good amount of places that have mostly ACGME residencies and 1-2 AOA residencies (not dual, just either parallel or completely separate), but this really depends on where you want to go. I know that in western PA/eastern OH a lot of the bigger systems have both AOA & ACGME programs.

I personally think the "where no residencies exist" rule is beneficial for students as well. 4th year is for auditions and sub-Is, so its nice that its built into the way they do things at CUSOM.

Also, while there will not be any "AOA accredited" programs, there will still be programs that are deemed to have an "osteopathic focus", and I'm guessing they will have to get approved/certified by somebody.

Yeah this is weird for me since I'll be the c/o 2019 so idk if i be applying to "both"programs. We'll see.

I think the governing osteopathic committee within ACGME (which right now the KCUMB clinical dean is appointed to) will be responsible for making specific programs emphasize OMT. Perhaps this will be reduced down to primary care tracks? Who knows!

Yeah this is weird for me since I'll be the c/o 2019 so idk if i be applying to "both"programs. We'll see.

I think the governing osteopathic committee within ACGME (which right now the KCUMB clinical dean is appointed to) will be responsible for making specific programs emphasize OMT. Perhaps this will be reduced down to primary care tracks? Who knows!

Well yeah, but I imagine each residency committee will have different definitions of what an OMT purpose is and the osteopathic committee will have to vary their definitions. As of right now though it's all very vague without any real info and guarantees.

Wow. Does this basically force students into AOA residencies?

Wow... Any current students ask for an explanation?
I haven't heard of this.

About a month ago, my advisor told my group that we could potentially go wherever we'd like. There's no reason for him to mislead us when we're current students. He's also on the committee for our 3rd and 4th year rotations.

He said that we could choose to go pretty much anywhere, even to do some international rotations and that we'd just have to have the site communicate with the school so the proper documentation can be completed.

Futhermore, the second year HPSP students are submitting their requests to go to military rotation sites soon. Those are all ACGME.

Interesting to hear of LECOM lifting that ridiculous rule for APAP & PCSP. Didn't affect my class because they tried to force it on us in March of M1 (um no--that was not in the contract we signed) but did affect, or was expected to affect, the 2015 class. If they lifted this very recently eg too late in the app cycle to really do much ACGME good for the current APAP folks then that kinda sucks. If I had been forced to do an AOA residency I would have HAD TO move out of my home in SC--something I neither wanted nor could afford to do.

I haven't heard of this.

About a month ago, my advisor told my group that we could potentially go wherever we'd like. There's no reason for him to mislead us when we're current students. He's also on the committee for our 3rd and 4th year rotations.

He said that we could choose to go pretty much anywhere, even to do some international rotations and that we'd just have to have the site communicate with the school so the proper documentation can be completed.

Futhermore, the second year HPSP students are submitting their requests to go to military rotation sites soon. Those are all ACGME.
Are there any "Rural/Underserved/International (4 weeks)" rotations in the military as outlined in the CUSOM curriculum? Do HPSP students only go on military rotations?

Are there any "Rural/Underserved/International (4 weeks)" rotations in the military as outlined in the CUSOM curriculum? Do HPSP students only go on military rotations?
hpsp students have the chance to go "active" and get paid for a few rotations per year. They do all the other rotations just like everyone else. I don't know if the military has anything that would qualify as cusom's rural/underserved

hpsp students have the chance to go "active" and get paid for a few rotations per year. They do all the other rotations just like everyone else. I don't know if the military has anything that would qualify as cusom's rural/underserved
Is there any advantage to not going 'active' and getting paid for a rotation? That sounds like a good deal to me haha