-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cut off Dreads?
Started by ChadC
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What say you? Do you think it would hurt my chances in interviews to have dreadlocks?
To be honest, I think that would give a first impression that you do not want to give to interviewers. Keep it very formal, that's your best bet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What say you? Do you think it would hurt my chances in interviews to have dreadlocks?
you are going to have to trim your hair at some point so you might as well.
If it's part of your culture and that's evident, keep them. If you would feel uncomfortable and not yourself at the interview, then maybe keep them.
If you just have them, because you like the style and there is not way of neatly placing them or tying them back then do yourself a favour and cut them off.
If you just have them, because you like the style and there is not way of neatly placing them or tying them back then do yourself a favour and cut them off.
What do these dreadlocks look like? Most dreadlocks don't look very clean because they aren't well kept. Maybe post a picture or something.
B
BucsFan813
Agreed. You can grow out it and have whatever hair style afterwards.
Yeah, you can grow them until you have another interview/meeting that's important. Honestly, as someone who used to wear long hair... Get used to having a low hair...
Cut the dreads...
Long hair is pretty sexy and it isn't necessarily unprofessional in my opinion.
Yeah,
My parents bribed me to cut my hair (which was neck-length) and they would pay for one of my plane tickets. After the fact, I'm glad I did it. Interviews are all about playing the part anyway, so why not go that extra step and dress yourself up....besides, you can dress HOWEVER you want once you get that acceptance. Majority of people are going to care less about short hair than dreds, so I would say why not prepare for the majority??
Note: I am saying this with NO knowledge of the cultural/racial/historical implications of dredlocks...if they play a part in any of the aformentioned, then I officially know squat and you should take my advice w/ a grain of salt (which I would suggest regardless)
My parents bribed me to cut my hair (which was neck-length) and they would pay for one of my plane tickets. After the fact, I'm glad I did it. Interviews are all about playing the part anyway, so why not go that extra step and dress yourself up....besides, you can dress HOWEVER you want once you get that acceptance. Majority of people are going to care less about short hair than dreds, so I would say why not prepare for the majority??
Note: I am saying this with NO knowledge of the cultural/racial/historical implications of dredlocks...if they play a part in any of the aformentioned, then I officially know squat and you should take my advice w/ a grain of salt (which I would suggest regardless)
N
njbmd
What say you? Do you think it would hurt my chances in interviews to have dreadlocks?
It is 2006 and locks are well-known in the United States. If they are neat, well groomed and well cared-for, your locks can be wonderful part of what makes you an individual. Wild locks are still considered fairly extreme so you may want to consider taming these for a nice business look.
Healthy, well-groomed locks need not be cut but make sure that your style is neat and out of your face. Like any other hairstyle, your locks should not interfere with communication nor draw attention away from what comes out of your mouth. If you have to constantly "fuss" with your hair, figure out a way to get it under control.
Good luck on the interviews!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pretend to be a muslim, lol j/m i really don't know but if you cant come up with a better idea cut it off.
Not really sure how that makes sense...Did you confuse Muslim with Jamaican by any chance?
What say you? Do you think it would hurt my chances in interviews to have dreadlocks?
are you black? if so, it shouldn't be a problem.
are you black? if so, it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. If you're white with dreadlocks, it gives most people the impression that you're coopting another culture just to be "different" or trendy. If you're black, most people wouldn't question the hairstyle, especially if you have caribbean heritage. Then you have admissions committees, which definitely don't seem like the most progressive on the spectrum and you'd have to go as conservative as possible without compromising yourself. Safest bet is to cut it off to have the most cookiecutter look for whatever race and gender you may be. But make sure you weigh in the impact to your identity and individuality before doing anything drastic. If it's a reasonable length, looks good on you and you can keep it pulled back if necessary, the adcomms would be fools to judge it differently from a standard style. Now a mullet, that I have strong feelings about.
PS. I know at least one person sporting dreadlocks who made it in.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. If you're white with dreadlocks, it gives most people the impression that you're coopting another culture just to be "different" or trendy. If you're black, most people wouldn't question the hairstyle, especially if you have caribbean heritage. Then you have admissions committees, which definitely don't seem like the most progressive on the spectrum and you'd have to go as conservative as possible without compromising yourself. Safest bet is to cut it off to have the most cookiecutter look for whatever race and gender you may be. But make sure you weigh in the impact to your identity and individuality before doing anything drastic. If it's a reasonable length, looks good on you and you can keep it pulled back if necessary, the adcomms would be fools to judge it differently from a standard style. Now a mullet, that I have strong feelings about.
PS. I know at least one person sporting dreadlocks who made it in.
What about people without dreads? Is gelled-messy acceptable? Or are are they expecting 'cookie-cutter' styles, no gel/combed to the side looks?
What say you? Do you think it would hurt my chances in interviews to have dreadlocks?
first impression is the most important. Cut them off. Have you ever even seen a doctor with dreadlocks? i dont think they exist.
Don't cut them off. If they are clean and you have a nice shape up it should be ok. Thats my own personal opinion..........but i guess who really knows
You dont want to be thought of as some hippy. I'd cut them off.
What say you? Do you think it would hurt my chances in interviews to have dreadlocks?
If you are Black and they are neat and well groomed, then no don't cut it off. However, if you aren't Black, then cut it off, b/c you can be viewed as being an extremist/wacko and honestly I have never seen a non-Black or mixed with Black person with presentable dredlocks.
One of my professor has dreadlocks but they are the well groomed dreads and look great on her.
If there messy I suggest going for a tightening(?)-I mean were they put the beeswax on the dreads and cut off the messy parts. If they are really long-cut them and pull them back in the interview.
Or better yet just simply cut them all off.
If there messy I suggest going for a tightening(?)-I mean were they put the beeswax on the dreads and cut off the messy parts. If they are really long-cut them and pull them back in the interview.
Or better yet just simply cut them all off.
Do not cut your dreads if you are black because they will show your heritage and who you really are if thats really how you like your hair. Don't assimulate just to conform to a "higher level of standards" as some people will tell you. Of course you have to be presentable but I think cutting your dreads will be crossing the line in terms of being your original self.
What say you? Do you think it would hurt my chances in interviews to have dreadlocks?
Do not cut off your locks. Please don't cut them. Locks should not play a role in whether you get accepted or not. And if they do play that big of a role maybe that school is not for you because they can't accept you for who you are. I have locks myself and have no intentions on cutting them. My mentor has locks and had them while she was in med school. They represent a lot of different things. Some people don't understand why we wear locks and so it is easy for them to say cut them off. They are also represented in the bible. Professionalism is you not your hair. Just make sure that they are freshly twisted and pulled back and you will be good. 👍 God bless you on your interview.
P.S. Stay strong and represent for us brothas and sistahs that have locks.
P.S.S. Just to educate some people, locks aren't easy to grow. It takes almost a year just for the hair to lock. It isn't something that you can just cut and it will grow back in a month or two. And also locks are not dirty nor do they stink like the stereotype says. We keep them very neat and clean. We get our locks washed just like anybody else washes their hair. No hard feelings just information that some people might not have known.