Step 1 Cuttoffs for programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the Step 1 cut-offs for most programs.

I am trying to figure out where I stand. Looking at 2018 data it doesn't seem like a bad place to be. But i need to get the rest of my application in order.

I wanted to start making lists for programs that I can realistically apply to.
I go to mid-tier MD program
I scored 250-255 for my step 1.
I have cultivated some relationships with my home program, but I have still not published anything.
Likely will not get preclinical AOA from my school.
Have a grad degree in unrelated field.

Any advice would be appreciated to not be the 1 guy out of 55 that failed to match in the 250+ category.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
250+ Step 1 with a home program and a ranked medical school, you'll match. Lack of research will hurt and probably kill your chances at great programs, but you've got a shot at mid-tier programs and will likely land a spot at an average or lower-tier program.

Regarding your original question, even if true Step 1 cut-offs for interviews existed, which they likely don't for all but the most desirable programs, a 250-255 is not going to be below them.

Reactions: 2 users
250+ Step 1 with a home program and a ranked medical school, you'll match. Lack of research will hurt and probably kill your chances at great programs, but you've got a shot at mid-tier programs and will likely land a spot at an average or lower-tier program.

Regarding your original question, even if true Step 1 cut-offs for interviews existed, which they likely don't for all but the most desirable programs, a 250-255 is not going to be below them.
im trying to get 10+ papers done over the next year. They wont be quality, but it doesnt seem like quality is what most programs care for. I am probably not going to stand out at MGH, but realistically im looking towards programs that have excellent clinical training/volume preferably somewhere warm with a low cost of living.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not weird, you will match. 250 is high enough that you won't get screened out at any program.

Do well on your sub-Is, get good letters, have interesting research that you can talk about, don't be weird, interview well, and you'll match. People with 250+ who don't match either have red flags or are just really weird.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not weird, you will match. 250 is high enough that you won't get screened out at any program.

Do well on your sub-Is, get good letters, have interesting research that you can talk about, don't be weird, interview well, and you'll match. People with 250+ who don't match either have red flags or are just really weird.
thanks, I do have one red flag that I would rather not discuss in public here. could I possibly PM you ? . It is probably the cause of my anxiety. I am fairly normal and have been getting great evals on my rotations, and I interview well as I got accepted to almost every school that I interviewed at.

Last edited:
thanks, I do have one red flag that I would rather not discuss in public here. could I possibly PM you ? . It is probably the cause of my anxiety. I am fairly normal and have been getting great evals on my rotations, and I interview well as I got accepted to almost every school that I interviewed at.
Sure, go ahead