Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Cutting funding for CMDS at NOVA?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Henry, Sep 10, 1999.

1. Henry

Henry Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

CMDS stands for Christian Medical & Dental
    Society. It is a national organization. Lately, the student government of my school is discussing about cutting club funds to all cultural & Ethnical groups.

The rationale is: since those clubs are the minority groups (lesser membership),and not everyone can join in (which is not true), the student government is not responsible to fund those clubs anymore. ($0.00)

My question is: Is it OK to deny the rights of minorities and allow the majority (larger clubs)to have the best opportunity & benefits???

I say this is a form of:" DISCRIMINATION".

Are we sending a message to others,such as:
    It is OK not to give the best treatment to minority patients but only serve the majority first with the best medicine???????

Does similar issue happen in other campus?

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited September 11, 1999).]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

Preach on, Dr. Henderson!! Seriously, to both of you, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. While I, personally, am not one to wear my feelings on my sleeve, I believe that I (and everyone else) have a right to do so.

Those pot smoking hippies are not only in control in education, but the White House as well, but that's another discussion......

4. 2003

2003 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I wouldn't want to offend anyone but should tuition from non-Christians support your club? Most clubs are interest groups related to certain fields of medicince which med students typically don't mind supporting. Personally, I think that Student Gov't has a point.

5. Gregory Gulick

Gregory Gulick Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

As president of the class of 2003 at NSUCOM, I'll be one of the individuals voting on this issue this week. Let me give you a bit of history of this issue:

At NSU, there have been a rapid growth of clubs over the past years. With the increase in clubs, there has not been an increase in funding allocated to ALL student organizations. As a result, all organizations are receiving substantially less funding. As a potential solution, some clubs have made the recommendation that organizations in which student membership is limited NOT be eligible for funding. The argument then is that CMDS, the Jewish Student Organization, and all of the honor societies NOT receive funding. (PLEASE note that this is not directed solely at the CMDS but at about 6 other organizations as well)

In my opinion, as Henry pointed out, the CMDS is open to everyone. And I imagine the Jewish Student Organization is as well. Honor societies, however, are not.

Hopefully, we will explore other options such as limiting funding to the smaller clubs rather than cutting funding. In this vein, organizations that represent a greater number of students will receive the greater amount of funding they need.

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited September 11, 1999).]

6. togo

togo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am a NYCOM class of 2003 Student as well as a Christian. I am also an ordained minister and a pastor before coming to school. I guess what I am wondering is why you expect the school to fund your Christian club. Even if other organizations receive funds, how much does it cost to meet together, have bible study and pray. The church has never been taught to rely on support from the world whether that be financial or any other type. There are times to draw the line in the sand and fight to the death, but we shouldn't draw the line in stupid places. If they take away your freedom to have a Christian club and excersise your freedom to worship on your own time, then you should make some noise. But as long as they give you the freedom to meet, you should do that joyfully without expecting the school to take up your cause. My fear is that in demanding your "rights," you may ruin your witness with your fellow students and administration.

As for the other Christians who posted angry replies, I think we should remember that this is an open forum (not just Christian students). Paul instructed us in Colossians 4:6 to season every conversation with grace so that we know how to respond properly to those in the world. If your chief end is to glorify God, bitter comments may not be the best means to achieving that end.

In summary, the church is the church and the world is the world. As soon as the church starts expecting the world to champion our causes, we lose sight of who we are.

respectfully,
    Your peer

7. drhenderson

drhenderson Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I originally posted a response that was kind of kidding, toungue-in-cheek... but I forgot how text cannot convey my smiling while I write.

No bitterness here... I am a Christian too and I hope we can find a way to continue CMDS without med school funding.

As long as your school is not singling the Christians out, but not funding any organization that is not directed towards all students, that is ok.

In public schools at the grade school and high school level, Christians are actively discriminatated against, and we do need to draw a line there.

If I offended anyone with my previous post, which was more political than Christian, I am sorry. I agree with all of the above posts. We should take a stance but maybe not about this. If they tell you you CANNOT meet, then we have something serious.

Best regards,

Jim

8. Henry

Henry Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Togo,
    I understand your point of view and I am actually trying to persuade the SGA not to pass such policy at NOVA.

To be a witness of Christ does not mean I can't express my opinion to others.

I am worry, if the student government can amend its constitution this time and deny funding to CMDS & other ethnical group, a few years later, student government can again amend its constitution and not to allow any religious group in the campus. They can use a rationale such as: Religious group should not be allowed to use school facitilies for religious purposes.

Furhter, CMDS has been in NOVA for a long peroid of time. In the past, our presence has not create any problems until this year. When SGA is lack of funding, they decide to cut fundings from certain clubs include CMDS. If we are entitled to receive funding in the past, why can't we still receive funds now and in the future?

As a minority in this country, I see discrimination in every aspects of life. I was being discriminated, in many occasions, just because I am having a different color on my skin. Therefore, I am very sensative to issue like this.

This student goverment issue brings me to a senario: A very good citizen of the US has been living honestly. He pays all require taxes, he fulfils the jury duty, he volunteers in many different community services and helps others. As time goes by, this good citizen is aging and ready to retire. However, one day he receives a letter from the federal government telling him that he will never receive any social security or medicare benefits because he is a minority in the country. Too bad.

As a Christian, Togo, if you are that citizen ,will you fight for your right?
    As a servant of the Lord, if I can't manage the money that He has given me, then I am the servant of 1000, who buried the master money in the soil. Worst, I lost the money totally.

[This message has been edited by Henry (edited September 11, 1999).]

9. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

In response to togo (and anyone else who may take any offense),

I apologize for attacking the morally corrupt in charge. Like Dr. Henderson, I was smiling from ear to ear when I wrote that. Politics is actually a topic which I thoroughly enjoy.

As for the topic at hand, togo is correct in saying that meeting for Bible study/prayer does not cost anything. However, as long as access to this organization is not denied to any individual, and funding is available, I agree with Henry that CMDS should continue to receive such consideration. Whether the focus of the club appeals to everyone at the school or not, is unimportant. I would venture to say that every medical student who wants to become a family doc, is not concerned with the meetings of SOSA (student osteo. surgery assn.), however should this club lose funding?

I applaud Henry for standing up for what he believes, however, keep in mind that if this situation is resolved in a manner that is unsatisfactory, there are alternatives. As an organization, you could consider fund raising events for your group alone. Anyway, I wish you success in the resolution of this matter.

Boomer

10. togo

togo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I appreciate all of the responses I got to my reply. Henry, I never said there weren't times to stand for your rights. I did say that there were times to draw the line in the sand. However, I just said to be careful where you draw those lines. If you are worried about whether you will have the right to meet, don't. Pres. Reagan helped pass an amendment called the Equal Rights Amendment in the '80's. This states that as long as any other non-curricular club is given the right to meet on campus, a religious group cannot be denied the right to meet. I have personally helped high school students fight for that right on their campuses.

But, again, I believe that churches or Christian groups should be wary of asking or accepting financial support from outside sources. Whoever you depend on financially could wind up having say over what you do. I think it is a wiser course of action to depend on local churches for financial support and sponsorship.

As to having the right to express your opinion, I never said you shouldn't. I was more concerned about some of the replies that were written and how those might be perceived by those who are not Christian. As Christians, many times our message is offensive to others, but we should not be offensive ourselves.

11. Henry

Henry Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Togo,
    Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind when I try to handle this matter. I agree with you but I just want to try my best. If the outcome is not as what I want, I take it as it is. I know He will understands. Thanks again

12. togo

togo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and I'm confident things will work out for your good. I'll pray with you for continued wisdom in dealing with this situation. Thanks for the replies.

13. mevannorden

mevannorden Member
    10+ Year Member

The student government at DMU-OMC (formerly UOMHS) approaches this issue differently according to my source (the pres. of CMDS and treasurer of UAAO). According to him, groups applying for aid are more likely to receive it if they are smaller, "poorer" groups. Groups like UAAO, who make a LOT of money on table sales and membership, don't really need outside funding, whereas CMDS and other smaller groups do.

I personally do not think it is religious discrimination if student government decides no to fund smaller groups. Especially when other non-religious clubs (like the honor societies) are included in that group. My only advice to student government would be to reevaluate the priorities of club funding. Larger groups have more money generating capacity than do small groups, and therefore less real need for student government dollars.

Fundraising tips: If nobody on your campus sponsors an equipment sale or an OMM table sale, start one with CMDS. Both are pretty good money makers (especially the OMM table sales.)

14. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello everyone, as President of the SGA at NSU-COM I think I can shed some light on this issue. First of all, no one's funding has been cut!!! Let's not jump to conclusions here Henry. Yes, it is true that we have a problem with funding as new clubs are sprouting up weekly. And setting up a designation for funded vs. non-funded clubs is one of the suggestions that is on the table at the present time.

I have created a constitution committee to look at this issue and bring suggestions to the SGA meeting. The president of CMDS IS ON THIS COMMITTEE and therefore you should take heart in the fact that your organization is specifically represented here.

I have mixed feelings on this issue myself. However, this is NOT up to me. As chairperson of the SGA meetings I am not allowed a vote. What you need to be doing is talking to your class representatives and officers who DO have a vote. Yes, this is very political but that's the way that the world works (unfortunately). There are many issues at stake here and religion is a minor one. I am a Christian myself but I know how to pick my battles (as someone already posted).

There is no reason to take anything personally. The SGA is not aiming to dismantle the CMDS and to have such thoughts is ridiculous. You say that you are "trying to persuade SGA from making such a policy"...meanwhile the first mention of it that I have heard from you is broadcast over the internet.

It is my recommendation that you check into these things more thoroughly before you alarm the entire country and tell them that CMDS is being "discriminated" against. Check the facts and the constitution. I would be happy to give you a copy. You'll find it interesting to note that any amendment must be ratified by a majority of the ENTIRE STUDENT BODY (this includes you!). SGA has no right to limit your presence on campus and there would never been any amendment that would try to do so.

Also, your analogy about a minority not receiving his retirement funds simply is not applicable here. Christians are not considered to be "minority students." We are trying to solve a serious issue in the best way that we can. If you would like to help solve this problem then I welcome your input to the constitution committe or at any SGA meeting, otherwise you are just making it worse than it really is.

[This message has been edited by Medicine Man (edited September 21, 1999).]