CV and applying for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying for fellowship, what do people include on their CV?

For residency applications, I included only medical school things and a few significant college things. But now those seem too long ago to include on my CV now. And I haven't done anything in residency other than some research. I have no idea how people have time to do anything besides residency...

Any advice on what to include? Or if there are any low commitments things to do in residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I listed the following :

Education including awards (aoa, cum laude etc)
Certification (acls, etc) not important for fellowship but i had always kept it on for the job search

Licenses (medical and other stuff like fluoroscopy if you have it)

Organization involvement (smfm, augs, acog, sgo etc) describe your role etc

Research
Publications (i included PMID as well)
Abstracts (poster and oral)
Presentations (grand rounds etc)

Awards
Some programs have awards for best laparoscopic surgeon or highest Creog score etc

Should be able to have a fair amount of information especially if applying for a fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
I kept experiences from med school that I felt promoted me as an academic person--like, I participated in the medical education committee. I didn't include all the volunteer stuffs I did.

Also, any formal presentations you've give to med students or other residents (part of the resident lecture series, med student lecture series, or larger like grand rounds) should be included on your CV. Yes, it feels like you're fluffing things a bit, but people want to see it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies! Guess I'm just not sure what to include for the "Experience" section (non-research related things), concerned I don't have enough, and how far back I should go.