CV poster presentation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toolesag26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about posting a poster presentation on my CV.
One of the abstracts that our team has worked on was accepted to be presented on a poster prior to my involvement with the team. Between the time the abstract was submitted and the poster was submitted (about 9 months), I wrote and submitted a full-length manuscript with the exact title of the abstract. Being an expert on the topic, my preceptor sent me to the meeting to present the poster, event though I was not included in the author list that was submitted to the society about a year in advance. My name was not written on the poster however I was the only representative on my research team at the poster presentation. Can I still include this in my CV? If so, how? I am not technically an author of the abstract however I did present the poster.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely. you presented the poster.

I imagine you have a section like "Research Conference Oral Presentations and Posters"... well, that's where it goes.

Yes you can definitely include it under the "Poster Presentations" (or similar) section of your CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Even though he did none of the work aside from a 5 minute presentation he gets to put that as a presentation? What about someone who was an author but did not present it? Does it count as a presentation for them to or just for him?

Really? Even though he did none of the work aside from a 5 minute presentation he gets to put that as a presentation? What about someone who was an author but did not present it? Does it count as a presentation for them to or just for him?

You'd usually write all the authors or whatever and then just put an asterisk by the OP's name with a footnote indicating that the asterisk means he presented the work. For example:

Author1, Author2, Author3, OP*. Title about cool science stuff. Poster presentation at National Society Conference about science things 20xx. City, State.
*Presented work

Or something to that effect.

Yes. And yes.

If you're presenting without being an official author, that's your PI's mistake, not yours (generally anyone involved with the project should be listed. If not, the abstract should be amended).

If you present, you should list it on your CV. If anyone asks why you aren't on the author list, just explain that you didn't make the poster and got more heavily involved with the project after the abstract was submitted. They'll understand that your role is simmar to that of a middle author.