Poster

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MH281

Reaction score
I reached out to a doctor regarding potential research opportunities, and she suggested that I focus on creating a poster presentation for a specific procedure in Interventional Radiology (IR). I had anticipated working on a project that would lead to a publication. Is investing time solely in creating a poster worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad.

Learn to walk before you try to run. Posters are still worth something on your application and you can use the data from the poster to write a publication later. They're also great practice for getting the feel for research in a low-stakes environment. This sounds like an easy W for your application and I suggest taking the PI up on it.

Very possible they're testing you or getting a feel for you, first. It's rare for a PI to start you directly off with a manuscript, especially if you do not have a masters, lots of experience publishing/doing analysis, or already know the PI very well.

It's also uncommon for PIs to offer a realistic chance at being immediately productive, so take it and run with it. Best case, this PI will see you have potential and let you augment this data into a paper. Worst case, you get the poster and can tell the next PI that you have research experience in the field and are eager to do more.

I'm about to present my 10th poster and publish my 3rd and 4th manuscripts. Let me tell you, I wouldn't have been able to write a manuscript competently without doing some grunt work on posters first. Learn to walk.

Reactions: 5 users
You can publish a specific novel or difficult procedure technique in a journal

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Many conferences/congresses publish their research abstracts in a supplemental edition. And many of these are given DOI numbers. This means the abstract can be cited and indexed on pubmed.

Learn to walk before you try to run. Posters are still worth something on your application and you can use the data from the poster to write a publication later. They're also great practice for getting the feel for research in a low-stakes environment. This sounds like an easy W for your application and I suggest taking the PI up on it.

Very possible they're testing you or getting a feel for you, first. It's rare for a PI to start you directly off with a manuscript, especially if you do not have a masters, lots of experience publishing/doing analysis, or already know the PI very well.

It's also uncommon for PIs to offer a realistic chance at being immediately productive, so take it and run with it. Best case, this PI will see you have potential and let you augment this data into a paper. Worst case, you get the poster and can tell the next PI that you have research experience in the field and are eager to do more.

I'm about to present my 10th poster and publish my 3rd and 4th manuscripts. Let me tell you, I wouldn't have been able to write a manuscript competently without doing some grunt work on posters first. Learn to walk.
Great response thank you!!!

Last edited:
I reached out to a doctor regarding potential research opportunities, and she suggested that I focus on creating a poster presentation for a specific procedure in Interventional Radiology (IR). I had anticipated working on a project that would lead to a publication. Is investing time solely in creating a poster worthwhile?
First PI made me work on case report, we got it done so fast, the PI then said let’s work on two publication projects simultaneously. Short answer: Over-deliver, poster is just the beginning.

That's an odd request as posters are usually the stepping stone on the way to a publication although this project doesn't seem like it's novel research. Where is the poster going to ?

Many conferences/congresses publish their research abstracts in a supplemental edition. And many of these are given DOI numbers. This means the abstract can be cited and indexed on pubmed.
While this is true, most abstracts are not indexed on PMED

That's an odd request as posters are usually the stepping stone on the way to a publication although this project doesn't seem like it's novel research. Where is the poster going to ?
They are asking me to submit it as an abstract at an up coming conference, not too sure what this means exactly. My plan is to just over deliver in hopes for an opportunity for further research in the future.