CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctormans

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to reach out to professors to join research labs. Each one asks for my CV. I have never needed a CV before so I am trying to figure out what to put in the CV and why they ask for the CV so I can tailor it to what they are looking for. I've looked up a ton of template CVs but I just wanted to make sure I understood all the necessities.

CV should include categories for:
Education
Research
Publications
Activities
Leadership
Interests

Am I missing anything? Also if I have little research experience is that a red flag? I worked in a research lab in undergrad but the two papers regarding the work I did won't be published until mid 2021 because it was part of a bigger group. How can I put that in the CV so I can show I at least have that small experience.

Members don't see this ad.

No. That about covers it. Send a trusted professor from undergraduate your CV to review it to make sure it looks like what they typically see. Look up templates for medical school CVs online. It's not a red flag unless you tell people you have experience when you don't. You have to get your feet wet at some point.

Reactions: 1 users
If you put the time in now for a CV, you can just continue to update it and it won't always require a complete overhaul. I've had a CV since undergrad and it's really nice to have moving forward. It also lets you pull things from it when you need to tailor specifics for a resume.

Like BacktotheBasics had said, you got everything you need to cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. Can I include the two papers even without them actually being published yet? I know their titles and whats basically included in them but they aren't published. I have an idea of when they will be published but it's also not guaranteed in that time frame.

Thanks for the feedback. Can I include the two papers even without them actually being published yet? I know their titles and whats basically included in them but they aren't published. I have an idea of when they will be published but it's also not guaranteed in that time frame.
Yes, depending on their stage: in the process
in-press
accepted
provisionally accepted
submitted

People have mixed feelings on "submitted" in their CV.

Reactions: 1 user
I am trying to reach out to professors to join research labs. Each one asks for my CV. I have never needed a CV before so I am trying to figure out what to put in the CV and why they ask for the CV so I can tailor it to what they are looking for. I've looked up a ton of template CVs but I just wanted to make sure I understood all the necessities.

CV should include categories for:
Education
Research
Publications
Activities
Leadership
Interests

Am I missing anything? Also if I have little research experience is that a red flag? I worked in a research lab in undergrad but the two papers regarding the work I did won't be published until mid 2021 because it was part of a bigger group. How can I put that in the CV so I can show I at least have that small experience.
Similar question, would same apply if professor that provides LOR asking for CV?

I don't mean to cause additional confusion, but just in case you are applying to Canadian institutions. Be sure to determine if they are asking for CV (curriculum vitae) or resume. At least for us, a CV contains everything you've done, but a resume is max 2-pages and tailored to the role(s) you are applying for.

Similar question, would same apply if professor that provides LOR asking for CV?
I'm not sure if you are asking professor as in someone who gives lectures or professor in the sense of academic medicine (presumably the former). If you are applying to medical school, you may not have a lot on your to-be CV, so a resume would suffice. The above sections would still be relevant.
When you're in medical school (and beyond) and you are applying for scholarships, residency programs, etc., a CV will be preferred.