CVS 14-hr days = ...torture?

Started by pharmaz88
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

This assumes that there will be no more growth in your lifetime. That's something that history indicates would most likely not be the case. However, if someone wants to assume that, then there is still nothing for them to worry about because that would also mean that most people in other professions would not survive either. Even MDs, DOs, and dentists would eventually suffer if there is no growth for decades on end and very few people left with the means to pay for their services.
Why does it have to be in my lifetime? Wouldn't it need to be much sooner than a lifetime since each class churns out another crop of grads? Where are the 250 jobs going to come from for each new set of graduates in this state?
I don't know of a single pharmacist retiring... Sure, plenty have or will quit, but they just go on to fill a different hole.
 
These older pharmacists are not quitting. I know of a 70yr old who just had a nervous breakdown because they were pushing him too hard on his numbers. They're literally having to shove them out the door on a gurney. If you are over the age of 60 and still in retail pharmacy I think you probably did something wrong financially along the way. JMO
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why does it have to be in my lifetime? Wouldn't it need to be much sooner than a lifetime since each class churns out another crop of grads? Where are the 250 jobs going to come from for each new set of graduates in this state?
I don't know of a single pharmacist retiring... Sure, plenty have or will quit, but they just go on to fill a different hole.


and everything I said would happen is now happening. So how long until pay per hour drops by $10? I say in the next year and a half.
 
Yeah, the job market somewhat stinks (although all my friends got jobs...) and it definitely has gotten worse than it was when I started school. But SHC's posts are ridiculous hyperbole to the point of stupidity. There are jobs, and there will continue to be some jobs. People may not get their preferred job or location. It may take longer to get a position. Etc.

You graduated last year so obviously whats going to happen in the future will not effect you. As I mention before if you graduated years ago or if you are in the class of 2011 or 2012 you'll still be okay provided you have connections and you are willing to move. Unfortunately this is NOT true for people that are just now going into pharmacy. The job market is getting worst and will keep on getting worst, so if you are graduating in 4 years you are pretty much screwed.

You're just a naive pharmacy student. The LAST pharmacy job will be handed out in 2013. Anyone and everyone graduating in 2014 and after are SCREWED. It's simple supply and demand. Listen to SHC, she has been a pharmacist for how many years... I graduate in 2014, but don't worry, I am going to work hard to stand out. :laugh:

Since when do you need a PharmD degree to know how bad the job market is???? 😕 YOU are the only person too dumb to figure that out. Look, if looking at the job market in year 2000 to predict YOUR chances of landing a job is what makes you feel better than I guess you are welcome to do so...but you'll be disappointed when you graduate.
 
Why does it have to be in my lifetime? Wouldn't it need to be much sooner than a lifetime since each class churns out another crop of grads? Where are the 250 jobs going to come from for each new set of graduates in this state?
I don't know of a single pharmacist retiring... Sure, plenty have or will quit, but they just go on to fill a different hole.

People on here obviously have a problem understanding the FACT that if you graduate in 4 years it is NOT going to help you if you look at the job market in year 2000 or 2005! :laugh: Giving examples of people getting hired and the job openings a FEW YEARS AGO really isn't going to help anyone that is graduating 4 years down the road. Hell, even looking at TODAY'S job market when you are going to graduate 4 years later is stupid.

The job market is getting worst every second as we speak, so if you want your REAL chances of landing a job in the future you need to look at the job market in the future. And the job market in the future is going to be MUCH worst than it is now. So that's that. Please don't lie to yourself and think that your chances of landing a job is going to be the same as someone that graduated in 2000 or even TODAY b/c it's going to be much worst.
 
People on here obviously have a problem understanding the FACT that if you graduate in 4 years it is NOT going to help you if you look at the job market in year 2000 or 2005! :laugh: Giving examples of people getting hired and the job openings a FEW YEARS AGO really isn't going to help anyone that is graduating 4 years down the road. Hell, even looking at TODAY'S job market when you are going to graduate 4 years later is stupid.

The job market is getting worst every second as we speak, so if you want your REAL chances of landing a job in the future you need to look at the job market in the future. And the job market in the future is going to be MUCH worst than it is now. So that's that. Please don't lie to yourself and think that your chances of landing a job is going to be the same as someone that graduated in 2000 or even TODAY b/c it's going to be much worst.

Damn I hate it when things get worst. Except for liverworst that is. My kids love it.
 
maybe it's because i'm 24, but I worked a year of doing 7hrs/day + every other weekend (basically 12 days straight).
Recently we switched to 14hr shifts and we split the friday. I've never felt better. Something about knowing you have to work at all just sort of kills your day. With 3/4 FULL days off per week I've done WAY more living than I did compared to the last year.

14 hours are not torture. I come in early, make sure the operation runs smoothly from 8 til 10, get things ready for my partner the next day, and go home. Hell I've even gone and grabbed a few beers with some buddies after a 14 hr day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an intern at CVS and I've worked at several stores. Every store I've worked at, no matter how busy it was, the supervisors told me to take a 30 minute unpaid lunch break (if I was working 6 hours or more). You're allowed to take 2 paid 15 minute breaks, but no one really takes them because it is usually too busy and the workload will be intense when you get back.

You are allowed to go to the bathroom, it doesn't make any sense that you would not be allowed to go. It may be harder for the pharmacist to go whenever they want because it is so busy, but they do use the bathroom. My store always jokes around and say "no you can't go, use diaper!" But I have never come across that issue.

Most of the pharmacist that I have worked with prefer the 14 hour days and having 4 days off, over the five 8 hours shift or the four 10 hour shifts. It's a matter of personal preference. The ones that don't like it are usually older and have trouble standing for that long of a period.

An example 2 weeks schedule that my pharmacists have:
Sun: 8 hr day
Mon: 14 hr day
Tues: Off
Wed: 14 hr day
Thur: 14 hr day
Fri: Off
Sat: Off
Sun:Off
Mon: Off
Tue: 14 hr day
Wed: Off
Thur: Off
Fri: 14 hr day
Sat: 9 hr day
Then repeat
Or something resembling the schedule above.

So at the most, you work 2 back to back 14 hour days (if you are not working OT).

I guess it all depends on who your supervisor is, how busy your store is, and what your store atmosphere is like.
 
You're allowed to take 2 paid 15 minute breaks, but no one really takes them because it is usually too busy and the workload will be intense when you get back.

If you never get your paid breaks anyways, why don't you suggest that you combine those breaks and get a 30 minute paid lunch? That's how my PIC handles it.
 
I'm a tech at CVS and we are the busiest store on Long Island. I'd say we do about 700 prescriptions per day (on really busy days we've done 1,000-1,200). We have 3 pharmacists working during the day on weekdays with anywhere from 4-7 techs at a time. Pharmacists in my store do not get lunch breaks. We really aren't even allowed to eat or drink in the pharmacy.