CVS COVID SUPPORT PHARMACIST

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I asked him and he informed me it would tend towards a more full time for the 3 months.Training would be paid and be able to be done at home,He said they wanted to be up and running in 3 weeks so they are in a hurry..Apply.You got nothin to lose .Let me know.
Did they let you complete the training at home? I am in Charleston, SC and they are requiring in store training even though it is virtual.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know about the training but orientation will be at an assigned store.Sometime next week.The start date is pushed back until at least 12/21.Let me know if you hear
different.

I dont know about the training but orientation will be at an assigned store.Sometime next week.The start date is pushed back until at least 12/21.Let me know if you hear
different.
Ok, will do. Please let me know if you hear any more information. There has been zero communication here about start dates. I was scheduled for orientation this weekend but had to reschedule for next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was with them until last month, I did 50 + shots every day I was there. It was so busy. I am assuming this is going to be busy too. I wonder if they gonna pay OT for anything above 30 hours.
why would they pay OT at 30 hours? Most salary jobs don't pay OT >40 hours even

From what I gather so take it as it is, the CVS official said we would be CVS employees not independent contractors like some agencies.They never said anything about set hours but I assume it is similar to an hourly pharmacist who works retail.This whole process is basically learn as you go and
improvise.Hours are not guaranteed.

I got a verbal offer today. I asked if the rate included the “hero pay”. The person said no and said they’re finalizing info on it?? Did anyone else have this conversation?

I got a verbal offer today. I asked if the rate included the “hero pay”. The person said no and said they’re finalizing info on it?? Did anyone else have this conversation?
My friends were talking about it and said it’s up to 4 $ so like let’s say they pay staff 51 then you might get 55. 4 $ extra is hero pay. Lol

My friends were talking about it and said it’s up to 4 $ so like let’s say they pay staff 51 then you might get 55. 4 $ extra is hero pay. Lol

One of my friends works for cvs retail and she also said $4/20% more. But I’m just wondering how to get that for this temp role because when I got the offer letter, it’s the rate without hero pay

One of my friends works for cvs retail and she also said $4/20% more. But I’m just wondering how to get that for this temp role because when I got the offer letter, it’s the rate without hero pay
Ask them. I know the state I am in, cvs doesn’t offer hero pay but state like Washington is offering hero pay so may be ask them. How much did they offer you?

Ask them. I know the state I am in, cvs doesn’t offer hero pay but state like Washington is offering hero pay so may be ask them. How much did they offer you?

I asked him and was given a wishy washy answer that’s why I’m trying to see if anyone got that too. I’ll verify again today before I accept the offer. They offered me around 57. Did you apply to it too? You’re in CA right?

Yes. I had the $$ conversation. It didn't sound promising. From what I heard, hazard pay for April/May was insulting, so you can't really expect much better this time around. It will be low base salary plus $4 best case for pharmacists.

The rest sounds like flu shot hiring spree. Do some online training and there you go. I just hope it is - go to depot store pickup vaccine, clock in, go to LTC, come back to depot to clock out. I don't want to deal with this penny pinching process cvs is famous for.

Yes. I had the $$ conversation. It didn't sound promising. From what I heard, hazard pay for April/May was insulting, so you can't really expect much better this time around. It will be low base salary plus $4 best case for pharmacists.

The rest sounds like flu shot hiring spree. Do some online training and there you go. I just hope it is - go to depot store pickup vaccine, clock in, go to LTC, come back to depot to clock out. I don't want to deal with this penny pinching process cvs is famous for.

When I asked if the rate included hazard already, he asked how I knew about it. Like was he expecting people not to know?

Honestly I’m expecting the same process. Meet at hub, vaccinate, go back. I’m not really interested in doing the retail vaccinations. I was told 10ish week commitment

Ya. Hours will vary depending on location.

Problem is that they want you to be available 7 days a week for that 10 hour commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked him and was given a wishy washy answer that’s why I’m trying to see if anyone got that too. I’ll verify again today before I accept the offer. They offered me around 57. Did you apply to it too? You’re in CA right?
Nah didnt apply and not in CA right now.

Media will definitely be following this rollout with keen eyes so now it the chance for them to see the lines, hear the phones, and watch how hurried we are in trying to jump from one thing to another.

No they won't. Last time there was a new vaccine during a pandemic, nothing changed.

If this is the best job offer you have at the moment, then yeah take it. Its more what you make of it. If you treat as just a temporary source if income, then thats all it will be when you're done. If you see it as a once in a lifetime opportunity to give back the community hope, its a start. If you keep an eye out for opportunities to be proactive and take initiative demonstrating leadership during the flow, you never know what you might be able to add to your resume. This is going to be uncharted territory with a lot of uncertain people looking for direction so there may be more openness to someone who is willing to step up.

BTW, I think they would vaccinate you for sure before sending you in. That's probably what included in the 3 week lag time. Sending you in without a vaccination is begging for a lawsuit or workers comp claim.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just got an offer letter for the COVID support pharmacist in the Southern California region. In a separate email from the same sender (so not in the offer letter itself), it said I am eligible for 'hero pay' for hours worked in LTC. So that must be only applied when I'm physically in the LTC centers. But doesn't specify how much 'hero pay' will be. Stay tuned! Gonna ask for some follow-up questions before actually accepting.

Just got an offer letter for the COVID support pharmacist in the Southern California region. In a separate email from the same sender (so not in the offer letter itself), it said I am eligible for 'hero pay' for hours worked in LTC. So that must be only applied when I'm physically in the LTC centers. But doesn't specify how much 'hero pay' will be. Stay tuned! Gonna ask for some follow-up questions before actually accepting.
How much they offered before hero pay?

From what I understand, the base rate is on all letters for this position. But hero will automatically be reflected in the pay if you’re going into LTC facilities. If you work the bench (retail/QA), you get the base rate.

Just got some follow-up questions answered from CVS. CVS is not vaccinating pharmacists beforehand due to limited supply. But apparently, PPE will be provided and the pharmacist will be COVID tested regularly once employed. I guess the hero pay is literally heroic monetary compensation for potentially risking getting COVID.

Jesus Christ.That is one lie they told me.Was your source reliable?

Last edited:
Will it affect your decision to take the job?I was told otherwise.

Will it affect your decision to take the job?I was told otherwise.
Defintiely. I was thinking about accepting yesterday but really hesitant today. Is potentially getting COVID for extra 20-30$ per day worth it (with hero pay)? Not sure. If signed on as FT, insurance won't kick in for 90 days, so it would be out of my insurance to pay for it if I did get COVID, not to mention the potential risk of dying. Not too sure if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Were you offered hero pay? If not, maybe that's why they told you that they would vaccinate you.

In Georgia LTC employees are classified !A meaning top priority.I was not offered hero pay.States may differ but if other LTC employees are offered vaccine then we should also. Confusion reigns. Getting an early vaccine was a benefit to me.

Defintiely. I was thinking about accepting yesterday but really hesitant today. Is potentially getting COVID for extra 20-30$ per day worth it (with hero pay)? Not sure. If signed on as FT, insurance won't kick in for 90 days, so it would be out of my insurance to pay for it if I did get COVID, not to mention the potential risk of dying. Not too sure if the benefits outweigh the risks.

Were you offered hero pay? If not, maybe that's why they told you that they would vaccinate you.
I wouldn’t go in until I was vaccinated. I don’t know if it’s true but I have seen doctors who treat covid patient dying even while they had all PPE. Did they say they are going to give N95 mask? Ask them what I kind of PPE?

They aren’t doing retail stores as of yet and from what I am hearing they are getting techs ready to do shots at store. Here goes our jobs lol

They need state board permission for that. Techs can immunize in 6 states.

Approached by another DL and I asked more follow-up questions. I asked about vaccinating the pharmacist, and the DL said that most likely yes (didn't say no) but could be likely that the job will start after 0 or 1 dose of the vaccine. The decision isn't up to CVS but to CDC guidelines. Full PPE will be provided: gowns, masks (choice between N95 or surgical), scrubs, face shield, and gloves.

The decision isn't up to CVS but to CDC guidelines.
There is a lot of leeway in how the various guidelines are interpreted. If a DL told you "it's up to the CDC" they are 100% punting the decision.

I actually don't know how a healthcare professional giving a vaccine could possibly not be considered COVID-frontline-healthcare but whatever, I ain't the CDC.

What I wonder is how many doses will fall off the back of the truck if the immunizers aren't given their first dose beforehand.

There is a lot of leeway in how the various guidelines are interpreted. If a DL told you "it's up to the CDC" they are 100% punting the decision.

I actually don't know how a healthcare professional giving a vaccine could possibly not be considered COVID-frontline-healthcare but whatever, I ain't the CDC.

What I wonder is how many doses will fall off the back of the truck if the immunizers aren't given their first dose beforehand.
You got that right.

They need state board permission for that. Techs can immunize in 6 states.
If they are hiring them means it’s approved. I have read posts about techs going out to immunize so I won’t be surprised if they were the ones doing shots at store level.

Look, it is a borderline scam. They made an agreement with the government to do this but don't have resources in place to execute it properly. They want profits but not willing to share that profit because they are hiring part time people and they owe them nothing.

I was told same thing. Vaccine is optional but if you are going as a single pharmacist to a LTC facility, technically, there is no one to even administer it to you. I bet they would rather make few $$$ rather than protect the immunizers. They just can't say that officially.

Got an offer without an interview just an application. Smells of desperation. What are the hours like, was just thinking of it on weekends for some extra cash.

They are doing weekends after Christmas and New Years to get this thing going. They said not too many weekends afterwards but... if it is 21 days and you want it to be 21 days, then you will have weekends in 21 days. I probably said too much already but you should only do this job if you a) easy going and don't care much or b) really need a few bucks they are throwing at you.

a) it is unorganized and it feels like your typical CVS environment as you are blowing through DUR and doctor calls, so you can verify 50 scripts an hour. Then you go home and pray nothing bad happened... Or you are past that point and don't need to pray. You know what's funny is that physicians are doing their webinars on covid immunizations. From what I have seen, they look organized and engaging. Some of these doctors will never vaccinate a single person. And the biggest pharmacy in the US, slapped together a webinar, which you couldn't join due to connectivity issues.

b) Obvious. They are giving you 'market' rate and 'hero' bonus. When you add it all up, it is less than a starting salary 10 years ago. Enjoy. Of course, they are setting the market rate along with Walgreens.

Why else would they say in ad they provide u with PPE and your tested every 2 weeks. If they were going to immunize you, don’t you think they’d be sure to put that in the job description??? Are there any critical thinkers on this site?

Look, it is a borderline scam. They made an agreement with the government to do this but don't have resources in place to execute it properly. They want profits but not willing to share that profit because they are hiring part time people and they owe them nothing.

I was told same thing. Vaccine is optional but if you are going as a single pharmacist to a LTC facility, technically, there is no one to even administer it to you. I bet they would rather make few $$$ rather than protect the immunizers. They just can't say that officially.
Plus, it’s CVS. Anyone who’s worked for them knows your health and safety take a back seat to their profit.

Reactions: 1 users
Another point about this once weekly testing.... So I would get tested this week.. at CVS drive thru... Results come out god knows when (3-7 days?!). And lets say you are going in to do vaccinations early next week.

What use is this test exactly? It is point of time test. I can develop symptoms or go grocery shopping tomorrow. A WEEK later I'm vaccinating seniors.

Another point about this once weekly testing.... So I would get tested this week.. at CVS drive thru... Results come out god knows when (3-7 days?!). And lets say you are going in to do vaccinations early next week.

What use is this test exactly? It is point of time test. I can develop symptoms or go grocery shopping tomorrow. A WEEK later I'm vaccinating seniors.
I thought cvs has rapid tests?

Well the DL said a negative test is required to enter the LTC facilities. The last time I went through CVS COVID testing (not the rapid), it came back within 48 hours. It was pretty quick. And the DL said weekly testing, not every 2 weeks. Still questionable i.e. I get tested Wednesday, get exposed on Thurs, Fri, Sat, and then go immunize on Sunday? And yes, CVS has rapid testing but if they’re not vaccinating the pharmacists, not sure if they’re going to utilize their resource for the pharmacists? The rapid tests book up so fast.

I mean I can play devil's advocate and say the immunization pharmacists are not 'front-line’ healthcare workers. And LTC facility residents are tested prior to the entrance as well as regular testing for the staff. And that’s potentially lower risk compared to working in the ER or ICU.

But still am very hesitant to accept the offer from CVS.

Nothing rapid here. Except how quickly they want you to check off their acknowledgement training or join conference calls. What can a regional or district sales manager (no medical degree) have anything useful to say about LTC vaccination process?

Well the DL said a negative test is required to enter the LTC facilities. The last time I went through CVS COVID testing (not the rapid), it came back within 48 hours. It was pretty quick. And the DL said weekly testing, not every 2 weeks. Still questionable i.e. I get tested Wednesday, get exposed on Thurs, Fri, Sat, and then go immunize on Sunday? And yes, CVS has rapid testing but if they’re not vaccinating the pharmacists, not sure if they’re going to utilize their resource for the pharmacists? The rapid tests book up so fast.

I mean I can play devil's advocate and say the immunization pharmacists are not 'front-line’ healthcare workers. And LTC facility residents are tested prior to the entrance as well as regular testing for the staff. And that’s potentially lower risk compared to working in the ER or ICU.

But still am very hesitant to accept the offer from CVS.
You wouldn’t believe people are coming back from retirement to do this jobs, I am reading it online. I would think some of these are old or have pre existing conditions but they are still willing to take risk. :oops:

You wouldn’t believe people are coming back from retirement to do this jobs, I am reading it online. I would think some of these are old or have pre existing conditions but they are still willing to take risk. :oops:
Lol wow, just WOW

I would actually like an answer to this question, Are we as pharmacists going to be considered in the "medical personnel" group of first to get the vaccine. Because that will let me know where we stand. CVS is a scummy corporation and unless they have told you about getting vaccinated , they will probably send you anywhere they can make some money without even considering your safety against the virus. I can see them doing that. But over-all are WE going to get it first? i read the CDC classification of healthcare worker when they voted Tuesday and agreed and it would seem as though we fit the bill. let me know what you find out.

In Texas at least, pharmacists and their staff are specifically listed under the healthcare worker designation to be first in line for vaccines. I have friends in hospitals that already got their first dose this week, and my company told us to get ourselves and any staff that wants it first thing when it comes in the next week.

Why else would they say in ad they provide u with PPE and your tested every 2 weeks. If they were going to immunize you, don’t you think they’d be sure to put that in the job description??? Are there any critical thinkers on this site?
True lol but it just made sense to think that they would immunize their pharmacist first before sending them off to LTC to immunize others.