CVS Emerging Leader Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BecauseWhyNot?!

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a 6th year intern (graduating May 2019) can start the Emerging Leader Program? Also, what is it, how long does it take, and what can you do after you complete it?

From my understanding, this is something you have to do before you can become a DL. Also, where can I find more information about this program? I tried looking online but I can't seem to find any CVS link with the information.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

First you have to be a PIC. Then, as PIC, you have to excel in metrics. You need to drink the kool-aid and pretend everything corporate says is gold. When asked how you were able to achieve said goals on the conference calls, you have to pretend all the goals are reasonable and those who aren't achieving it are just not trying. You'll have to be willing to do extra projects for your DL and basically become the DL's pet. You'll have to be willing to go to the worst stores and turn it around. And after all that, you'll have to be lucky that there's an opening that you can apply for.

How long does this all take? Well, it could be a year, two years, or never. Just spoke to someone who is/was in ELP (still a PIC). He sounds like he hates his life and wasn't happy with the "promises" made but were, ultimately, not kept. :)

Reactions: 4 users
The DL manage both FS and RX.
Is that something you want to do?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First you have to be a PIC. Then, as PIC, you have to excel in metrics. You need to drink the kool-aid and pretend everything corporate says is gold. When asked how you were able to achieve said goals on the conference calls, you have to pretend all the goals are reasonable and those who aren't achieving it are just not trying. You'll have to be willing to do extra projects for your DL and basically become the DL's pet. You'll have to be willing to go to the worst stores and turn it around. And after all that, you'll have to be lucky that there's an opening that you can apply for.

How long does this all take? Well, it could be a year, two years, or never. Just spoke to someone who is/was in ELP (still a PIC). He sounds like he hates his life and wasn't happy with the "promises" made but were, ultimately, not kept. :)
^ I knew an Rx Sup that did all of this, wasting so much precious time in his young life.

When they transitioned from Rx Sups to DLs, they screwed him over and forced him (and his wife) to move to another (****tier) city or be demoted.

Some thanks, eh?

Reactions: 3 users

Geez that sounds like a headache and a half, do you at least get paid more after you complete the ELP if you aren't offered a DL job yet? Or do you just keep doing extra things for the DL without being compensated more for it?

^ I knew an Rx Sup that did all of this, wasting so much precious time in his young life.

When they transitioned from Rx Sups to DLs, they screwed him over and forced him (and his wife) to move to another (****tier) city or be demoted.

Some thanks, eh?
I have heard of that happening to a good amount of RX Sups when they did that transition, which is super unfortunate. Do you know if he at least enjoyed his job while it lasted? And did he end up taking the job in the different city or did he take the demotion?

I have heard of that happening to a good amount of RX Sups when they did that transition, which is super unfortunate. Do you know if he at least enjoyed his job while it lasted? And did he end up taking the job in the different city or did he take the demotion?
The answer is not important. Do you want to move to a different city or get a demotion? I'd pick demotion any day. Fuk, moving and uproot your whole life for nothing.

Reactions: 1 users

Some thanks, eh?

No, that's quite intentional as a page from Corporate Sociology 101. What forced moves aim to do is to cement your social ties to the company and break them all to everything else to make you more workaholic. You'd be possible interested that the first formulation of this was Allianz by Kurt Schmitt, and it definitely worked wonders for them.

OP, you might find it beneficial to spend a couple years learning how to be a pharmacist before you try to move into a supervisory position. During that time, it is very possible (likely?) that your career ambitions could change.

In any event, you district supervisor is the one to talk to about doing this.

Geez that sounds like a headache and a half, do you at least get paid more after you complete the ELP if you aren't offered a DL job yet? Or do you just keep doing extra things for the DL without being compensated more for it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if a 6th year intern (graduating May 2019) can start the Emerging Leader Program? Also, what is it, how long does it take, and what can you do after you complete it?

From my understanding, this is something you have to do before you can become a DL. Also, where can I find more information about this program? I tried looking online but I can't seem to find any CVS link with the information.

Thank you in advance!
I played this game my friend, it is something that's truly not worth it unless you somehow get lucky and get fast-tracked. First you have to become a licensed pharmacist and then do well enough to where you get in your DL's good graces. In my experience first was the FFL course, which was the first step. You need to be recommended by your DL for this class. You do six classes and a final presentation - took about six months in total. You also have a project that you have to do, which entails finding a metric you want to focus on and you have to keep tabs on the entire district and find solutions. After that, depending on how the timeline matches up, you then get the okay for the EL program. That program comes with a test, and if you don't pass the exam you cannot be an EL. I don't know how many attempts you get; I know my previous DL failed twice. Once you successfully pass the EL program you are then a "DL in waiting". Sometimes they put you on "assignments" where you cover a district temporarily (and make the same pay). I've seen some pharmacists be forced to still run their pharmacy while others got lucky and resigned to concentrate on being a DL.

All these classes, trainings, programs, etc. are done on the arm and you don't get paid for it. I spent a total of 6-7 months working on my off days putting in the time. At the end of the day the SUP position ended, merged DM and SUP into DL, and I was told that I would have to start over if I wanted to be considered (learning the front store). I quit a month later. It's not worth it IMO. You can't find info about the program online; they don't share that stuff unless you're in the program. And the program isn't really that informative either. It's a bunch of company leaders preaching on why CVS is amazing and they've all been so far removed from working in the stores that their views don't even make sense anyway.

I would recommend practicing first as a pharmacist, it's a lot different than being an intern. And then once you get the hang of it and want something more then that's your queue to speak to your DL. Best of luck with the decision and finishing up school. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 2 users