CVS fires overnight pharmacist, clerk for stopping robbery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Why would anyone try to stop a robbery? How many cases do people have to end up fired before people figure out it's not worth it.

Interesting logic the ex-employee stated (not knowing if the burglar was armed or not) that if they stopped him it would prevent the individual from possibly hurting others that night.

Yet with a big retail company like this, the signed contract can afford to state meds and money are insured, your life is not....I agree they knew better than to stop a robbery.

I do wonder how their termination reasoning on a job application would read: “Being a Hero when a Hero was needed” lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Termination is going to read "Failure to follow policy putting self and others in imminent danger".

At what point are you allowed to fight back though? Active shooter, A.L.I.C.E training --- the "C" stands for "counter". I wonder if he flashed a gun would they still be employed. You could argue if the robber flashed a gun that their lives were in immediate jeopardy and they felt they had to "counter".

That's standard. Happens all the time at other retail stores like 7-Eleven, AutoZone, Home Depot, etc.

So did they give the robber a $50 CVS gift card as well?

Reactions: 18 users
Termination is going to read "Failure to follow policy putting self and others in imminent danger".

At what point are you allowed to fight back though? Active shooter, A.L.I.C.E training --- the "C" stands for "counter". I wonder if he flashed a gun would they still be employed. You could argue if the robber flashed a gun that their lives were in immediate jeopardy and they felt they had to "counter".

I am curious as well. I wouldn’t think that any company policy could prevent self-defense and according to the story the robber touched (assaulted) the pharmacist first. Perhaps where they went wrong was by detaining the robber rather than letting him flee?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am curious as well. I wouldn’t think that any company policy could prevent self-defense and according to the story the robber touched (assaulted) the pharmacist first. Perhaps where they went wrong was by detaining the robber rather than letting him flee?

If someone assaults you and you get them under physical control it is potentially more dangerous to let go of them

Owlegrad looking like a 5 star general on SDN. How does one get this purple "verified expert" ribbon under their screen name?

But on thread related note, CVS is the scum of the world and I hope someone with a brain employs these two that lost their jobs being heroes. Props to them.

Reactions: 3 users
Owlegrad looking like a 5 star general on SDN. How does one get this purple "verified expert" ribbon under their screen name?

Honestly I just noticed that as well. I used to have sooo many badges back when we used that system. Glad to see I am collecting banners at least. :)

@Lee - How does someone become a verified expert?

If someone assaults you and you get them under physical control it is potentially more dangerous to let go of them

Yeah, thinking about it some more where the pharmacist went wrong (in terms of breaking policy) was probably not immediately giving the would-be robber whatever they asked for, in this case I think it was Oxycontin. Still I wonder if he had complied with the demand and then defended himself after getting assaulted would he still have been fired.

Yeah, thinking about it some more where the pharmacist went wrong (in terms of breaking policy) was probably not immediately giving the would-be robber whatever they asked for, in this case I think it was Oxycontin. Still I wonder if he had complied with the demand and then defended himself after getting assaulted would he still have been fired.
I think those are very fair questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I just noticed that as well. I used to have sooo many badges back when we used that system. Glad to see I am collecting banners at least. :)

Expert of Sarcasm? ;)

Honestly I just noticed that as well. I used to have sooo many badges back when we used that system. Glad to see I am collecting banners at least.

Member sends me a PM for their area of expertise and experience. Will be reviewed to determine if they meet criteria.

If verified, then will need to sign NDA and will be given designator and access to answer questions in confidential consult forum.

Member sends me a PM for their area of expertise and experience. Will be reviewed to determine if they meet criteria.

If verified, then will need to sign NDA and will be given designator and access to answer questions in confidential consult forum.

I suddenly feel so inadequate

I like Lee Sleestacks green sponsor tag (what is a sponsor.) It's starting to look like Christmas now with all the shiny decorative tags.

Pharmacy fires 2 employees who stopped a robbery

On the bright side, there's a full time position open in Indiana for everyone looking.

Actually used to work at that store a few years ago. Both overnight pharmacists at the time were exemplary, hard-working, and were well experienced and it would be a loss for CVS it was either of them. The pharmacist supervisors in that area were all new grads that had only been a PIC for a year or two before being 'promoted' and clueless to what they were doing.

Actually used to work at that store a few years ago. Both overnight pharmacists at the time were exemplary, hard-working, and were well experienced and it would be a loss for CVS it was either of them. The pharmacist supervisors in that area were all new grads that had only been a PIC for a year or two before being 'promoted' and clueless to what they were doing.

If you watch the video, you can see who it was. Looks like an older, heavy set white guy. With a surprising amount of athleticism, I may add. He laid that cat out good.

Reactions: 4 users
If you watch the video, you can see who it was. Looks like an older, heavy set white guy. With a surprising amount of athleticism, I may add. He laid that cat out good.

Nice take-down and ground n pound.

They probably will have a security guard for a couple of weeks. Some stores like cvs in whitehall ohio had a guard every night.

They probably will have a security guard for a couple of weeks. Some stores like cvs in whitehall ohio had a guard every night.

They did have a security guard at the store but they had cut their contracts and eliminated them at the store about a year or so ago because they deemed them "too much of an expense". This is despite the fact the Indiana had one of (if not still) the highest pharmacy robberies in the entire USA. They even implemented time delay safes in all of the CVS's stores but I doubt it made much impact (apart from being a huge inconvenience to workflow).

A crazy guy jumped the counter at my pharmacy back in my retail days. I ran like a little b!tch. I was like “not today!”

Reactions: 4 users
A crazy guy jumped the counter at my pharmacy back in my retail days. I ran like a little b!tch. I was like “not today!”

That is exactly what I would do. As satisfying as it was to watch those 2 guys catch the stupid thief, it's not worth their job (or their life if he had had a weapon he pulled out at the last minute. Moral of the story is, if you are on company time, RUN.

That is exactly what I would do. As satisfying as it was to watch those 2 guys catch the stupid thief, it's not worth their job (or their life if he had had a weapon he pulled out at the last minute. Moral of the story is, if you are on company time, RUN.
Yup, I absolutely agree and I carry a gun *in the pharmacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Why would anyone try to stop a robbery? How many cases do people have to end up fired before people figure out it's not worth it.
You never know if they will hurt you or not. You might do what they want and still get hurt. If I am getting robbed and I have a shot to attack, I'm going to. Plus, the customer is the third factor. It doesn't matter what CVS policy. A customer can confront them.

We have a security guard, she is a old 5 ft 80lb lady. First time I saw her, I thought she was a patient.

Reactions: 3 users
You never know if they will hurt you or not. You might do what they want and still get hurt. If I am getting robbed and I have a shot to attack, I'm going to. Plus, the customer is the third factor. It doesn't matter what CVS policy. A customer can confront them.

I can’t even with this post.

I can understand if being robbed and the thief gets a hold on you in such a way that you feel the need to avoid a stabbing or a shot to the face and take them to the ground.

I don’t necessarily agree looking for an open shot to attack while working retail. I conceal carry and keep a Ka-bar in my truck, but OxyContin won’t be the trump card for me to take an open opportunity on someone if the possibility is I don’t come home to my wife and kids.

More times than not in this setting, if they don’t put a hand on you and you comply, you walk out alive. Cameras and still shots are enough to get a majority of those idiotic addicts.

We all know how relatively credible expert opinion is...(PL website down previously, no "aetiology")
evidencePL.png

Everyone is really just jealous of the status & fancy blue box

Last edited:
I guess it's cause I just have a lame B.S., I thought I was well-read, but I swear, I have never heard of "aetiology" before today, and I had to google that term. When did etiology change to aetiology?

I guess it's cause I just have a lame B.S., I thought I was well-read, but I swear, I have never heard of "aetiology" before today, and I had to google that term. When did etiology change to aetiology?

If the Brits were going to include an unnecessary vowel they could at least write it in the cool ligature form: ætiology

You can use those spelling to identify docs from Britain or former British colonies like India though: haemorrhoid, haemoglobin, paediatrician etc.