CVS - I want my raise.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just passed my National PTCB. My pharmacist said I should approach the store manager and ask for a raise. How much raise should I ask for? I'm currently getting paid $9/hr. Also, It'll be my 1 year anniversary in August as a tech for CVS. Someone told me CVS employees are entitled to get a raise after 1 year IF they remind the store manager.

So how much should I expect for being certified? How much for 1st year working as CVS tech?

Members don't see this ad.

You will not get any raise from passing the PTCB. You need to apply for your license to practice as a pharmacy tech if you don't already have one and that can be leverage to give you a pay boost. Also, only those who have cpht certification can be Lead Pharm Tech's, which can give you a raise as well.

Otherwise, if you know your Pharmacy Supervisor well (that is, your pharmacy manager's boss) then that is the person who ultimately can give the okay to your raise if you want just a merit raise.

I'm state certified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the other techs you're working with who also passed the PTCE (if any) how much they are earning per hour and go from there.

I passed the exam back in December, and CVS does not give a raise for that. You will only get your 5% yearly raise, depending on your district. Unless your state requires additional licensing, you probably will not get too much. Here in Florida, I got 5% yearly, but no money for being a CPhT. CVS does NOT like to pay ANY more than they have too. Hence, why I am looking for another job!

GOOD LUCK!:) Hope you get more moola than I did.

I'm sure that they are not going to give me what I want so I'm looking into independent pharmacies and hospitals right now.

I mean, my main qualm with CVS is how I live in Franklin Square and I'm working all the way in Westbury. I work 2 times a week on the weekend.

I usually fill up my gas tank on Fridays, I work on Friday nights and Saturdays, and by the time Saturday is done, I have 3/4 tank left. I don't make enough to afford that, and I'm tired of asking my parents for gas money because it gives them leverage over other things.

if they don't respect you, you can always go somewhere else. No one says you have to stay at one place. I worked at retail for 2 years at 8 dollars and got a nickel pay raise the whole time. After I got PTCB certified and applied for my license, I went job searching on the internet and interviewed on the same day and now working at a mail order pharmacy for $15 dollars/hr.

From what I've heard of CVS they are the stingiest in terms of raises. I was shadowing at a CVS and the intern liason came in to talk to me. One of the questions I asked her was " I heard that CVS pays lower than a lot of other pharmacies". She replied "Because we can, we're everywhere". I was like whoa don't want to work here! Basically they used to pay well and they have so many pharmacists who have been there so long that they can't leave. If they do leave they lose seniority and vacation and they reset that at the new employer. It's like you're locked in.

Ask the other techs you're working with who also passed the PTCE (if any) how much they are earning per hour and go from there.

It might not be a good idea to disclose my pay to my co-workers. Some of them gets paid at $8.75. Might cause some problems if I tell them I'm getting paid $9/hr.

It might not be a good idea to disclose my pay to my co-workers. Some of them gets paid at $8.75. Might cause some problems if I tell them I'm getting paid $9/hr.

CVS is CRAPPPPP please quit... its a horrible company.

I use to be a shift supervisor there, got paid 9.50 an hour, they told me once I got certified my pay would have to DROP to 8.75... thats BULL****!!!!

I switched to Walgreens started at 11.25 I think? or 10.75 cant remember, they give raises some what often... better company, but more work.

Now I work at the HOSPITAL! I dont really do much, I get paid $15+ an hour... this is all only from 1 and a half years of experience... so yea.. make the change man

Well, Walgreens policy is you get a $.75 raise upon certification. I started exactly 1 year ago at $10.00 an hour. I now make $11.25 an hour after certification and two raises.

But hey, once you start pharm school, you can leave CVS and get a much better paying job as an intern!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, did you cheat? Did you glare at your neighbors to keep them from narking on you?

No, I didn't cheat because there was a camera above me. Plus we all had to empty out our pockets and put everything in the the locker. :D

I saw the kid next to me looking over a little bit to my screen from time to time whenever he "stretched". He looked really confused and he sighed with relief. I changed my position and moved over to my left to block the screen.

I guess I was "evil" and wasn't a "hero" that day, so therefore I did not snitch on the kid or make any complaints :(. I figured I was going to pass the test anyway.
I just hoped and pray he gets caught, IF he was "trying" to cheat. :)

you know what apply to the store were they need you. I went to store were they needed a person very badly and I asked for 12 ( always ask for more ) so they agreed on 10.50 as a starting.

you know what apply to the store were they need you. I went to store were they needed a person very badly and I asked for 12 ( always ask for more ) so they agreed on 10.50 as a starting.

You asked for $12 and they gave you $10.50. What was their first offer? How did you negotiate? What were the exact words you used? Something like this..."You're only paying me $9? I'll go somewhere else. lol

thing is i had volunteered at a place. so i was like i have expreience
so they were like okay
and they dint tell me what they gonna give me they jus said what do u expect and i said 12

they said thats too much we usueally pay 9
i said no then 11
then they said
10.50 lol
i was like ok

About a year ago I worked at CVS. I started at $9/hr uncertified. I was told by the corp. trainer (not store manager) that it is CVS policy that once I was both CVS certified (trained in-house) and State certified that I would get a 6% raise. I did get it, but I did have to ask for it. Forget asking your store manager. They don't want to give you a raise and I'm not sure they have the authority to give you one for that reason?

My corp. trainer told the store manager to submit to the computer system for my raise (basically change my status in the computer from tech in training to tech). It took a month and me hounding the store manager to get that done. In the end I had to contact the trainer again to have her TELL the store manager to do this - again. But in the end I got retro pay for the time frame that he delayed.

Anyway, it is my understanding that it is corp. wide CVS policy that if you are hired on as a tech in training, it is an 6% raise when you are certified. That wasn't just our store policy. So ask your trainer (at the corp. level).

Hope that helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"My 2 cents worth...and priced just right!"

About a year ago I worked at CVS. I started at $9/hr uncertified. I was told by the corp. trainer (not store manager) that it is CVS policy that once I was both CVS certified (trained in-house) and State certified that I would get a 6% raise. I did get it, but I did have to ask for it. Forget asking your store manager. They don't want to give you a raise and I'm not sure they have the authority to give you one for that reason?

My corp. trainer told the store manager to submit to the computer system for my raise (basically change my status in the computer from tech in training to tech). It took a month and me hounding the store manager to get that done. In the end I had to contact the trainer again to have her TELL the store manager to do this - again. But in the end I got retro pay for the time frame that he delayed.

Anyway, it is my understanding that it is corp. wide CVS policy that if you are hired on as a tech in training, it is an 6% raise when you are certified. That wasn't just our store policy. So ask your trainer (at the corp. level).

Hope that helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"My 2 cents worth...and priced just right!"

I was hired $9hr- uncertified also. Two months after the CVS training, I became state certified (CVS paid $50 to the state to get my license). When I signed the PCI agreement on the computer last month, I noticed next to my name, it says I'm a Pharmacy Service Associate? wtf? I didn't care about it then but now that you've mentioned the 6% raise after being certified...LOL feels like I got cheated on...I'll research it up tho..

Btw, who is this corp. trainer? Is it the district pharmacy trainer? The person who trained me? Should I call 1-800-shopcvs? Or maybe the district manager?

It is virtually impossible to cheat on the PTCB without getting caught. First of all, they check your ID when you enter the center and take a picture of you right there.

Then you have to empty everything from your pockets except for your photo ID and place them into a locker.

You have to enter a series of fingerprints that grant you access to leave and enter the testing room.

Your workstation is monitored by video and sound, so if you were planning on using morse code, think again. Only way to cheat on that test is if you are telopathic.

You will not get any raise from passing the PTCB. You need to apply for your license to practice as a pharmacy tech if you don't already have one and that can be leverage to give you a pay boost. Also, only those who have cpht certification can be Lead Pharm Tech's, which can give you a raise as well.

Otherwise, if you know your Pharmacy Supervisor well (that is, your pharmacy manager's boss) then that is the person who ultimately can give the okay to your raise if you want just a merit raise.

PTCB is a pharm tech license..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I pre-negotiated my raise.

I started out at 9.00.

When I was offered the job, (mind you I have never set foot in a pharmacy before), I asked if there would be a raise for passing the PTCB. The pharmacy manager said yes - they could bump it up to 11.00 & if I got into pharmacy school it would go to 13.00.

This is at a pharmacy within a retail store.

I guess lucky for me there are no CVSs nearby.

I work for CVS and I know because I tried to get a raise after passing my PTCB...it is company policy that they don't offer raises when you become certified.

However, since you are "more educated" you have more leverage to ask for a raise anyways...especially since some companies do offer raises with the passing of the PTCB.

good luck!

I work at CVS and got a 6% raise after receiving my PTCB certification. Cha-ching!

that may have been just your yearly raise...because I spoke with the regional supervisor who told me cvs does not honor requests for ptcb certified raises.

I was hired $9hr- uncertified also. Two months after the CVS training, I became state certified (CVS paid $50 to the state to get my license). When I signed the PCI agreement on the computer last month, I noticed next to my name, it says I'm a Pharmacy Service Associate? wtf? I didn't care about it then but now that you've mentioned the 6% raise after being certified...LOL feels like I got cheated on...I'll research it up tho..

Btw, who is this corp. trainer? Is it the district pharmacy trainer? The person who trained me? Should I call 1-800-shopcvs? Or maybe the district manager?

The trainer is the district pharmacy trainer. In my case, she is the person who did the initial first day of training/orientation. Also, initially I didn't get my raise because the store manager changed my status without adding in the 6% raise, even though he was told to put in for my 6% raise. So to finally correct it, the district trainer had him put me back in the computer as my old status (tech in training - or whatever they call it) for one day and then change it again the next - bumping up my status and adding in the 6% raise. They can't submit for the raise only, it has to be along with a change of status apparently. The store manager didn't want to do it, but he begrudginly did so.

So if they changed your status after you were certified but didn't change your pay, they can go back and undo it - and the re-do it correctly.

Hope that helps.

that may have been just your yearly raise...because I spoke with the regional supervisor who told me cvs does not honor requests for ptcb certified raises.

I worked for CVS exactly 6 months and 2 weeks when I received my Tech license. And I got the 6% raise also. I was told that it IS CVS policy to give you a 6% raise when you are licensed, but you have to ask for it - and probably have to hound them for it.

I hounded the store manager AND the district manager - neither of them cared. But it was the district trainer that stepped in and made them honor it.

I worked for CVS exactly 6 months and 2 weeks when I received my Tech license. And I got the 6% raise also. I was told that it IS CVS policy to give you a 6% raise when you are licensed, but you have to ask for it - and probably have to hound them for it.

I hounded the store manager AND the district manager - neither of them cared. But it was the district trainer that stepped in and made them honor it.

interesting...I got screwed then! because I definitely asked and its not like I only talked to my pharmacy manager!

interesting...I got screwed then! because I definitely asked and its not like I only talked to my pharmacy manager!

Do not feel that bad... I am right there with you! 2+ years at CVS, PSA and Tech Certified, and the PTCB Certification on top of that...and still $9.15!

I am definitely looking for a hospital job!

Do not feel that bad... I am right there with you! 2+ years at CVS, PSA and Tech Certified, and the PTCB Certification on top of that...and still $9.15!

I am definitely looking for a hospital job!

I went from CVS to working at the hospital. Have been at the hospital now for 7 months. I absolutely LOVE it! I started at $11/hr (still at $11/hr) but I get shift differential in addition when I work until 7pm (an additional $1/hr for 3pm to 7pm). I'm part-time, but I get paid for holidays - regular time if I don't work the holiday and double time if I do.

Besides the pay being much better, it is so much less stressful. I absolutely LOVE my job! After working both retail & hospital, I KNOW I want to work hospital after pharmacy school. Personally, I also think it is more interesting.

And I say it is less stressful. It is, but I was never bothered by the stress at CVS. Customers don't bother me. I was most disheartened by the way CVS corporate treats their employees. But I won't go into that here. I've expounded it on it previously in another post.

But at the hospital we get to take our lunch and breaks everyday. At CVS I had to fight to get to take a short lunch when I worked 8 hours, and forget breaks!

Anyway, I love working at the hospital. I'm glad I worked retail. I can fully appreciate my job now after working retail!

Well, that's my 2 cents worth...and priced just right! :)

Store manager says CVS recently stopped doing the raise after being certified??? You can't be serious!! Said, He'll call the district manager to see what's up.

I started working recently in the Pharmacy at CVS i worked at the front store for some time. Anyway im a PSA for now since im only starting 2nd year as a pre-pharm. I make $7.75....scared to ask for a raise still cuz i just recently started.

PTCB is a pharm tech license..:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some states require you register with them and pay a fee before they mail you a "pharm tech license." This they will only do if you have passed the PTCB and whatever background check they run on you. So in effect you have to be double licensed.

And 9.00 may not be too bad depending on the area in which you live. One problem with comparing wages on SDN is that we forget that many of us are thousands of miles away from each other. California salaries are not comparible to Texas salaries which aren't comparible to Florida salaries.

I am currently a lead tech for CVS in TX. I have dealt with this issue times before. One of the people we hired for 8$ and she got certified and was promised that she would go to 10$ once that happened. the company said they could not authorize such and increase in pay, and that they way around it is to quit and get re-hired at higher pay. the problem with that as some might know, is that it takes like 2 months to quit and get hired again. so she ended up leaving and going to another CVS in the town next door, and gets paid 11$. worked out good for her, and we hired the next person at 8$ and this cycle will happen again...
my opinion to you, is to leave if they dont give you the raise which should be an entry level tech pay, and stay if they do.

oh, and by the way that process took about 4 months, that is why she left. and when she was hired at the other store, she had a total of 1 year experience with the pharmacy.

I just happen to know how this works. Didn't read the thread, but I figured you might want another answer.

You passed the PTCB exam. You are a CPhT, you are NOT a licensed professional. You must apply for a Board of Pharm state license. This may or may not accept PTCB(my state did as one of the possible forms of verification). So, until you get a license, CVS cannot offer you the position of Pharmacy Technician which is paid more than a PSA.

Now that you've gotten your license, you are now allowed to practice in pharmacy. You can now actually go about getting your position changed. CVS has training for a Pharmacy Tech, you probably had to go through the PSA training already. Get that done and make sure your CVS-certified Pham Tech. When that's done you can ask your pharmacy manager to e-mail her supervisor about getting you a promotion.

Once this is all done: This isn't a raise and you don't really have any input on how much you are paid, and if you think deserve more...you won't get it. Just deal with it. Getting a raise is an annual process for your manager that requires an evaluation. So everyone has a chance at a raise, and if you fail to meet those expectations, you don't get it. It's completely merit-based. What you are asking for is a promotion, and you are due a higher wage than a PSA.

My friend works for CVS in VA, with state certificate, she make 12.50 per hour then she get nation certificate then make $15 per hour all of them happen in 1.5 year

Well, Walgreens policy is you get a $.75 raise upon certification. I started exactly 1 year ago at $10.00 an hour. I now make $11.25 an hour after certification and two raises.

But hey, once you start pharm school, you can leave CVS and get a much better paying job as an intern!
It used to be a dollar.

New York does not have a licensing process for Pharmacy Technicians. Once you have your CphT, you're set.

Anyway, I found out that I passed the PTCE(790), and then when I asked my boss about what happens next, he called up his boss, and found out that I get a 6% raise? What the hell is 6%? From, $11/hr to $11.66/hr? I was expecting something like $11/hr to $18/hr.