CVS lowered my pay without telling me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildAshe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a grad intern with CVS. I was getting paid about $34 and hour. My most recent pay check has a rate of $22 an hour. They never told me about this! Has this happened to anyone else?

I passed the NAPLEX but failed my state law exam. I wonder if that is why they did it. Can they reduce my rate like this without telling me? I live in California and I was under the impression this state has some pretty strict employer laws. How can they do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a grad intern with CVS. I was getting paid about $34 and hour. My most recent pay check has a rate of $22 an hour. They never told me about this! Has this happened to anyone else?

I passed the NAPLEX but failed my state law exam. I wonder if that is why they did it. Can they reduce my rate like this without telling me? I live in California and I was under the impression this state has some pretty strict employer laws. How can they do this?
I believe grad intern rate of 50% RPh only lasts for a certain amount of time, then it gets dropped down automatically. It should have been made clear when you got your offer. Good luck on the CPJE.

Reactions: 3 users
Hahaha, oh wow.

Wanna know how I know your birth year starts with 199?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there is a law to stop employer from reducing wage as long as it's still above minimum wage. They can reduce your pay to $15/hr tomorrow if they want.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think there is a law to stop employer from reducing wage as long as it's still above minimum wage. They can reduce your pay to $15/hr tomorrow if they want.
I was under the impression that you would have to be notified in advance before a change in pay. That might not be true, but even if it were it might not apply in a grad intern position where the timeframe and requirements of your pay are stated in advance.

I was under the impression that you would have to be notified in advance before a change in pay. That might not be true, but even if it were it might not apply in a grad intern position where the timeframe and requirements of your pay are stated in advance.
My money is on this being in your contract, which likely went unread.

Reactions: 8 users
My money is on this being in your contract, which likely went unread.

"Section 77.
(a) In the hilarious event that someone fails an incredibly easy board exam, we'll lower your pay, because duh.
Failure of a board exam is indicative of a bottom of the barrel Pharmacist, which says a lot about our company.

Please consult the 1-800 HR line. Be prepared to hold for 2 hours and then call back when you get "Jim", who fibbed when he checked "speaks English" on the application.

Reactions: 7 users
"Section 77.
(a) In the hilarious event that someone fails an incredibly easy board exam, we'll lower your pay, because duh.
Failure of a board exam is indicative of a bottom of the barrel Pharmacist, which says a lot about our company.

Please consult the 1-800 HR line. Be prepared to hold for 2 hours and then call back when you get "Jim", who fibbed when he checked "speaks English" on the application.

In fairness , passing the CA licensing exam is a bit of a crapshoot. Definitely more difficult than most state law exams.

In fairness , passing the CA licensing exam is a bit of a crapshoot. Definitely more difficult than most state law exams.

Yeah, I took one of the big 3. CA, FL, TX.
Was not ever concerned

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
‘One’ of the big three..
Wow. I did not know Texas was one of big 3. Texas law exam was a joke compared to CPJE.
Yeah, except you're totally wrong.
The Texas law book is literally both longer and more detailed.

Typical of the garbage trash bad state of California, their garbage policies and garbage laws are just illogical and difficult to interpret.

It's like saying reading a book that's been left in clam chowder is harder.
Of course it is.

Typical of the garbage trash bad state of California, their garbage policies and garbage laws are just illogical and difficult to interpret.

Of course it is.

I'd probably add New York to that list as the law is somewhat difficult (on the level of TX) and the wet practical is exacting. NY is certainly harder than FL. CA's is a joke in practice, their Board only enforces against pharmacies when it comes up in the news. They never seem to take proactive action on scumbags, and are customer hateful when having to deal with them for paperwork.

I like AZ's (literally called by one of the inspectors to congratulate me and to come in with the money order on passing two days after I took my final) and ND's where the staff are very personable.

Reactions: 2 users

Of course it is.

Hey, with your writing tone, can you please say something to PAtoPharm guy in
BLS projections updated: Pharmacy still the worst-off health profession at 6% (2016-2026)
thread? I think you can calm him down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the FL law exam considered hard? Guess I should be proud of myself for passing. The only think I studied were the old law notes that used to be passed around here.

Did you read your offer letter completely?
I think that is exactly what was stated in my letter that is pretty similar from two different chains (which made me assume most of the chain probably say something similar). They had a criteria that I should get licensed within 3 months after graduation OR ELSE..................

Yes they can and your next fail your paycheck will be roughly $0.00.

The problem would be if they didn't notify the person until after they starting working at the new rate. The person would be working for a rate in which they never agreed to; which is essentially theft/fraud.

The problem would be if they didn't notify the person until after they starting working at the new rate. The person would be working for a rate in which they never agreed to; which is essentially theft/fraud.

They would need to read the employment contract. It is very common for chains to let someone go or reduce their pay to that of a P4 intern if they do not become licensed by a certain time period.

Of course it is.
Except you’re totally wrong. The CPJE has 5-10 law questions. The rest are clinical and harder than the NAPLEX. The most recent cohort had an 88% NAPLEX pass rate and 57.2% CPJE pass rate.

Also, “big three”? How did you come up with that arbitrary declaration?

Didn't it say when you go hiredthat you had 90 days to pass your tests? You're lucky you even still have a job in my opinion.

I vote with everyone else, this was surely in your acceptance letter. At any rate, it is common knowledge and pretty much the same everywhere that if the grad rate is contigent on your passing your exams. If you don't pass, then most places will reduce you to technician pay or fire you outright. You are lucky you are still getting intern pay.

Except you’re totally wrong. The CPJE has 5-10 law questions. The rest are clinical and harder than the NAPLEX. The most recent cohort had an 88% NAPLEX pass rate and 57.2% CPJE pass rate.
Also, “big three”? How did you come up with that arbitrary declaration?

"You're opinion about California law being nonsensical because California is a stupid state is wrong!
To prove that you're wrong, I'll point out that the laws of the state and therefore the CPJE exam is so stupid that it isn't even a law exam, but a super clinical NAPLEX!"

-you

"You're opinion about California law being nonsensical because California is a stupid state is wrong!
To prove that you're wrong, I'll point out that the laws of the state and therefore the CPJE exam is so stupid that it isn't even a law exam, but a super clinical NAPLEX!"

-you
You called the CPJE “an incredibly easy board exam” and I provided data indicating the pass rate was significantly lower than another board exam. I further provided an explanation why. Do you care to contribute actual information to back up your stance? Or solely nonsense like the above?

Didn't it say when you go hiredthat you had 90 days to pass your tests? You're lucky you even still have a job in my opinion.
My CVS offer had a 90 day window to get licensed and still get a sign on bonus. Grad intern pay rate lasted longer, but wasn’t forever.

You called the CPJE “an incredibly easy board exam” and I provided data indicating the pass rate was significantly lower than another board exam. I further provided an explanation why. Do you care to contribute actual information to back up your stance? Or solely nonsense like the above?
I posted a farcical quote from a fictional employment contract.
Then I clarified and said it's hard because California is dumb. Pls lrn 2 rd

Now you're in here demanding evidence like such a comparison is possible.

Low energy. Sad.

Take your L and get on.

I posted a farcical quote from a fictional employment contract.
Then I clarified and said it's hard because California is dumb. Pls lrn 2 rd

Now you're in here demanding evidence like such a comparison is possible.

Low energy. Sad.

Take your L and get on.
Oh. Now I understand. You don’t know what point you’re trying to make, either. At least we’re on the same page.

Oh. Now I understand. You don’t know what point you’re trying to make, either. At least we’re on the same page.

My point is that board exams are basic competency exams by definition.

Get good, California

Last edited:

Get good, California

The other guy said the Texas exam was a joke comparing to the CPJE. You claimed that he was “totally wrong” because the Texas lawbook is longer and more detailed. But your argument doesn’t make sense because the CPJE is mainly a clinical exam.

Get good, California

Ah. You don't know the legend of the CPJE? Listen closely to a tale of pharmacy politics past...

Once upon a time, long long ago in the days of pre-2004, there was no NAPLEX out Californey way. The Hollywood elite pharmacists refused to accept such a basic competency examination. They would brag about the graduates of pharmacy school who failed their board exams so many times that they resigned to be "graduate interns" forever. Then, in 2004, it all changed. Under pressure from the NABP, the CA Board of Pharmacy knelt to their whim and changed over to the NAPLEX.

But what of these "elite" pharmacists? How would they maintain their smug sensibilities? "Eureka!" exclaimed the Board Members! Having been tasked with creating a law exam for the Golden State, they pored over the dense legalese of their tomes looking for the trickiest of tricks to bamboozle the graduates. "I've found it!" they proclaimed as their tore the page from the book and ran through the streets. "They must have clinical knowledge! They must have clinical knowledge!" They had found Business and Professions Code 4000 et seq.

4200.2. California Practice Standards and Jurisprudence Examination for Pharmacists; Required Inclusions When developing the California Practice Standards and Jurisprudence Examination for Pharmacists, the board shall include all of the following: (a) Examination items to demonstrate the candidate's proficiency in patient communication skills. (b) Aspects of contemporary standards of practice for pharmacists in California, including, but not limited to, the provision of pharmacist care and the application of clinical knowledge to typical pharmacy practice situations that are not evaluated by the North American Pharmacy Licensure Examination.

The law required that pharmacists have clinical knowledge! That meant they could put clinical knowledge on the law exam! And so they gave up on putting actual law questions on the examination and delighted in subjecting their applicants to the tortures of old.

And that is why the CPJE #1 isn't really much of a law exam and #2 isn't really a minimal competency exam.

Reactions: 4 users

I think you might want to dig out your offer letter. Hopefully, you still have that email somewhere. I recall that my offer letter stated that my pay rate would be adjusted should I not pass my licensing exams.

What I saw was "As stated in the offer communication, you are required to be licensed and working as a pharmacist within 90 days of graduation." A lot of students weren't able to schedule testing within 90 days of graduation due to lack of test dates, so they were lenient on that. But from what I heard, if you fail to pass either test, they DO drop you to 6th year intern status.