cvs or AF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
if u're given a choice b/e CVS or US.AF, which would you
choose? im currently a third year and i work for CVS. i havent
come across any ill thought regarding the store. anyways,
i heard interns are given an opportunity for interview for
advance offer late march.. and i wonder if u were me would
u accept it? at the same time im also applying for the US.AF.
not that im given the offer yet. but i wonder if you were me,
which would you choose?

considering the saturation of the market. if i dont make my
stance on these, i probably wont have any offer in 4th year.

Members don't see this ad.

which would you choose?

Neither...I did the CVS thing and it sucked...my buddy went to the AF office they wanted him to pee in a cup with them watching over him...he walked out...wierd...anyway, good luck!

Neither...I did the CVS thing and it sucked...my buddy went to the AF office they wanted him to pee in a cup with them watching over him...he walked out...wierd...anyway, good luck!

with them watching? lol. thats a bit uncomfortable.
did he manage to pee? hahahh. im just afraid there
wont be any retail offer next year thats why im applying
where i can. AF sounds realli nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
with them watching? lol. thats a bit uncomfortable.
did he manage to pee? hahahh. im just afraid there
wont be any retail offer next year thats why im applying
where i can. AF sounds realli nice.

Yep, some big dude with his arms crossed just watching...He couldnt go, he says he zipped up and walked out..LOL :laugh:

which would you choose?

Are you seriously asking this? I guess so by the look of your post written as if you were texting your high school friends.

Do a search on here. Do a little work for yourself. Bottomline is anything is better than CVS....anything. You opportunities with the military are endless.

Last edited:
Are you seriously asking this? I guess so by the look of your post written as if you were texting your high school friends.

Do a search on here. Do a little work for yourself. Bottomline is anything is better than CVS....anything. You opportunities with the military are endless.

yes, i would go AF...its just a pee test anyway :) I would avoid CVS/Walgreens at all cost...

Grammar is your friend, especially when you are supposed to be a doctoral educated professional. Please try again, this time in English.

Last edited:
I'm going through a similar decision process... and leaning towards military.

I recently had a physical with the Navy, and I definitely had to pee in a cup. But no one was leaning over my shoulder, that would be weird :thumbdown:.

I'm going through a similar decision process... and leaning towards military.

I recently had a physical with the Navy, and I definitely had to pee in a cup. But no one was leaning over my shoulder, that would be weird :thumbdown:.

yeah i wouldnt be able to go either. that is weird as hell. I wonder how the guy who has to watch feels about his job . That would be one of the weirdest jobs of all time.

which would you choose?

Accept the offer from CVS for the time being. If you end up taking the AF offer your signing bonus from them should more than cover any amount you have to repay to CVS. Cover your bases and make the best decision for you, after you get the AF offer in writing. This is what I'm in the process of doing.

There are plenty of threads offering ill thoughts on CVS here on these boards.

I doubt you will have to pee in a cup with someone looking over your shoulder. I was at a physical with recruits from all branches and we did not do it like that. So if your recruiter asks you to do that in his office like someone mentioned, I would find another recruiter.

Go for the AF...you have to pee in a cup for CVS anyway. I don't care if someone else see's my wang.

Put in 10 years w/ the AF and you will probably qualify for the public service loan forgiveness program. Put in 20 years, and you'll retire w/ pension.

THEN go work for CVS and double dip.

Go for the AF...you have to pee in a cup for CVS anyway. I don't care if someone else see's my wang.

Put in 10 years w/ the AF and you will probably qualify for the public service loan forgiveness program. Put in 20 years, and you'll retire w/ pension.

THEN go work for CVS and double dip.

a good percentage of people actually have the physical inability to go when they are being watched. obviously none of us have problems peeing in a cup to get hired, but the whole being watched thing is a little over the line .. and the thing is, it's indicative of the whole nature of employment in the military. Granted the military has a lot of benefits.

Air Force is notoriously hard to get into. You have to have at least a 3.0 to even be considered then you go through selection process. Don't act like the military is just going to take you - you're in for a rude awakening. Active duty Army had less than 20 slots available.

Members don't see this ad :)
a good percentage of people actually have the physical inability to go when they are being watched. obviously none of us have problems peeing in a cup to get hired, but the whole being watched thing is a little over the line .. and the thing is, it's indicative of the whole nature of employment in the military. Granted the military has a lot of benefits.

I guess i'm just underestimating people's understanding of how the military works and the culture within it. Some people don't understand the structure and how you DO lose certain rights that you take for granted in civi life. I'm not the one to expound on this topic, but there's tons of active duty/former active duty people on SDN that can comment.

which would you choose?

seriously...the peeing in a cup thing isnt an issue. yeah they do watch, yes they have to, yes they hate it as much as you do. but you forget about it 10 minutes later. It's so you can't cheat on the pee test at all. It is not hard to cheat a pee test when no one's watching.

USAF already has given its scholarships for this year. One of my friends got the scholarship. I didn't. So you'd have to wait till Nov. Not as easy as you'd think. Also, given the message above, doesn't sound like you know what you are thinking about getting in to. Just my thoughts.

Lol. i didnt realize its that competitive. no wonder
my recruiter stopp'd replying to my emails. hahahh. man..
cvs doesnt look so bad after all. = ) i was wanting the
1 month vacation. 20yr pension. and definitely HPSP scholarship.

Lol. i didnt realize its that competitive. no wonder
my recruiter stopp'd replying to my emails. hahahh. man..
cvs doesnt look so bad after all. = ) i was wanting the
1 month vacation. 20yr pension. and definitely HPSP scholarship.

:laugh: good luck...Hope you get a low volume store

I guess i'm just underestimating people's understanding of how the military works and the culture within it. Some people don't understand the structure and how you DO lose certain rights that you take for granted in civi life. I'm not the one to expound on this topic, but there's tons of active duty/former active duty people on SDN that can comment.

The military route is a great option, but you are right...you HAVE to know what you are getting yourself into. I toyed with the idea of re-entering the service after graduation. Why not? I could add time to the 8yrs I already have and be that much closer to retirement (aside: 20yrs = 60% pension, 33yrs = 99%). But then I remember how the loss of simple freedoms started eating my soul. The military has no regard for your wishes, plans, or time. If you can live with this w/o issue, go for it. If you think it might bother you, do not sign a contract.

For the source to cup observation for urinalysis testing...in 8yrs I was tested ~20 times...they watched every time and it is something you get used to. One time we heard scuttlebutt we were going to be tested in the morning, so I took a sharpie to my "dispensation unit". There I am, staring straight ahead and doing my deed. Out of the corner of my eye, I can tell he notices my artwork...a slight WTF grin and turning of the head. "Black one's are bigger," I say, and he nearly collapses in laughter. He was our First Sergeant and he was black.

The military route is a great option, but you are right...you HAVE to know what you are getting yourself into. I toyed with the idea of re-entering the service after graduation. Why not? I could add time to the 8yrs I already have and be that much closer to retirement (aside: 20yrs = 60% pension, 33yrs = 99%). But then I remember how the loss of simple freedoms started eating my soul. The military has no regard for your wishes, plans, or time. If you can live with this w/o issue, go for it. If you think it might bother you, do not sign a contract.

For the source to cup observation for urinalysis testing...in 8yrs I was tested ~20 times...they watched every time and it is something you get used to. One time we heard scuttlebutt we were going to be tested in the morning, so I took a sharpie to my "dispensation unit". There I am, staring straight ahead and doing my deed. Out of the corner of my eye, I can tell he notices my artwork...a slight WTF grin and turning of the head. "Black one's are bigger," I say, and he nearly collapses in laughter. He was our First Sergeant and he was black.

The loss of freedom as a pharmacist?

The loss of freedom as a pharmacist?

well, look at it this way...if you work for CVS and hate your job, you can quit on the spot and leave (or put in 2 weeks notice and leave).

if you do that in the AF, you'd be a court-martialed.

you'd have better control of your location vs. enlisted, but once you commit, you're stuck for the duration of your contract.

then at some point it isn't worth fighting it if you're close to retirement or even half way because of the pension system. it's like having a 401k plan where you don't vest for 20yrs.

Quit being a ***** and just piss in a cup. Seriously. If this bothers you, you are definitely not cut out for the military - pharmacist or not. They OBSERVE YOU to ensure you aren't a crackhead using one of the several ways to throw off a urinalysis. Those of you who have never been in I ask that you not comment on something you know nothing about. I was also in ~9 years and honestly I can't say I felt like any of my freedoms were revoked. Once you are done with initial training, it's like any other job with a few crappy things thrown in. Sure you might get stuck on duty for 24 hours, but everyone has to do that from time to time. You get up, PT if that is how your unit does things, then go to work for your duty day, go home to your family. They don't tell you what to eat, how to eat, when to piss, etc etc etc. It's a job but you wear a uniform and have to salute superior officers when you pass one outside. You don't carry an M16 around with you at all times, you don't wear a helmet and IBA. How is that any different from being a civilian other than you can't just put in your two weeks? As an officer you are not bound by any enlistment contracts as the enlisted people are once you serve your initial commitment. After that you can resign your commission and off you go.

Quit being a ***** and just piss in a cup. Seriously. If this bothers you, you are definitely not cut out for the military - pharmacist or not. They OBSERVE YOU to ensure you aren't a crackhead using one of the several ways to throw off a urinalysis. Those of you who have never been in I ask that you not comment on something you know nothing about. I was also in ~9 years and honestly I can't say I felt like any of my freedoms were revoked. Once you are done with initial training, it's like any other job with a few crappy things thrown in. Sure you might get stuck on duty for 24 hours, but everyone has to do that from time to time. You get up, PT if that is how your unit does things, then go to work for your duty day, go home to your family. They don't tell you what to eat, how to eat, when to piss, etc etc etc. It's a job but you wear a uniform and have to salute superior officers when you pass one outside. You don't carry an M16 around with you at all times, you don't wear a helmet and IBA. How is that any different from being a civilian other than you can't just put in your two weeks? As an officer you are not bound by any enlistment contracts as the enlisted people are once you serve your initial commitment. After that you can resign your commission and off you go.

But thats what we do here on SDN...:laugh: